cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers activity report

When trying to audit my eBay account, my daily transaction report does not match my activity report. I get charged for USPS shipping on the day of the sell, (Available funds) and then again on payout day. Now I know it's just record keeping but using simple accounting techniques and an automatic accounting program. It is and has been showing double shipping payments, sometimes 3 times all on same ref. Number.  And through my investigation and research...the last 10 buyers all had the exact same feedback from the exact same profiles. Please help me figure out what is going on.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Sellers activity report

eBay offers canned feedback comments. I use the same feedback on all my sales. 

As for the accounting, as long as you are only seeing the actual funds diminished by a single shipping payment, it hardly matters. You should see what PayPal does, it's insane. 

Much of that is required by tax laws for banks. I get charged for shipping only when I use eBay shipping. I also use PirateShip and PayPal. PirateShip actually charges less for Ground Advantage than eBay. And I never see shipping charged when I post the tracking number from the other app.

Also get the Cash Back from my credit card. That way.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Sellers activity report

You don't get charged for 'shipping' on the day of the sale.

You get charged Final Value Fees immediately....the Shipping $ doesn't come out UNTIL you purchase/print a label.

That $17.99 jacket with $10.07 Shipping would be $28.06 plus tax (depending on where the customer lives)

So, lets say $17.99 + $10.07 + $2.24 Tax (using 8% against both item & shipping (some states charge for both, some only the item))

)Using round figures for example)

$30 total. 

-$4.20 fees

-$2.24 tax charged

Leaves you with $23.56, in which you then pay $10.07 for shipping label

leaves you about $13.50

(you can 'add' a 'handling' fee to 'calculated shipping' to cover the 13-15% Final Value Fee and shipping materials (maybe $2 on a $10 shipping fee)

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Sellers activity report

I still feel the pain paying a fee on the Sales Tax.

See attached example with 12.35% final value fee including the $7.48 sales tax.

eBay Fees.jpg

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Sellers activity report

@picture*books wrote:

I still feel the pain paying a fee on the Sales Tax.

See attached example with 12.35% final value fee including the $7.48 sales tax.

eBay Fees.jpg

.92c is a big deal on a $122 sale?? Really? 

Somebody has to PAY somebody to collect and figure, then report and remit for up to 3600 different counties in the US 4 times a year (14000 a year). 

For .92c I bet you are glad the USSC went this way instead of allowing states to mandate that EACH seller has to do it (and States have the right, and would have, to LOWER the threshold, in case anyone wants to try that argument)

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Sellers activity report

Yeah, somebody does have to pay for it.
That's why States remit (via discount) a portion of collected sales tax to the collector when they actually remit the taxes paid.
And of course that money is collected in a special interest bearing account, which also pays the collector. 

So eBay has three money streams here: interest, commission from the taxing agencies, and fees paid for collecting the taxes.  Four, if eBay decides not to bother with breaking down state sales by city and school district and just blanket charges the highest rate in the state no matter where the item is purchased in that state (in Ohio the rates vary from 5.5% to 7.5%).

Never mind that when I paid sales taxes myself, about 4% of my sales were taxed (without fees to eBay). 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply