cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: BOOK QUIZ

While I spent more time on the sports collectors board back in the day, I keep thinking the address is midnite.  However, in what time zone?

Message 7681 of 7,715
latest reply

836. lludwig, correct: "The Portable Faulkner'
Message 7682 of 7,715
latest reply

Bugler1998 - I could be wrong but I think the time was based on East Coast time so that it was not too late for East Coasters and Central Timers to 'play.'

837. How many poems were in the first edition of Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" and how many poems were in the last edition?

Message 7683 of 7,715
latest reply

837. Hint: The first edition of "Leaves of Grass" was published in 1855 and the last edition was published in 1892. 

Message 7684 of 7,715
latest reply

Patience...

Beginning my studies the first step pleas'd me so much,
The mere fact consciousness, these forms, the power of motion,
The least insect or animal, the senses, eyesight, love,
The first step I say awed me and pleas'd me so much,
I have hardly gone and hardly wish'd to go any farther,
But stop and loiter all the time to sing it in ecstatic songs.
Message 7685 of 7,715
latest reply

837: first edition 12 - last edition 389
Message 7686 of 7,715
latest reply

Forest-pine - Your answer for 837 is more exact than what I had.  The answer I had did saye 12 poems for the first edition; however for the final edition it stated  "around 400 poems". 

Message 7687 of 7,715
latest reply

Can't recalled the other website but this one says 383.
The 389 was a mistake (maybe I was thinking of a GTO V8)

"The version left in 1892, at the time of his death, contained 383 poems, including "When Lilacs Last in the Door-yard Bloom’d" and "O Captain! My Captain!" both written to memorialize President Lincoln.
https://m.poets.org/poetsorg/book/leaves-grass
Message 7688 of 7,715
latest reply

Forest-pine - To make it even more confusing, I mis-quoted the number you first gave! The difference in the two websites you found may account for why the one that I found just rounded it off to "around 400". 

Message 7689 of 7,715
latest reply

Can't imagine The Good Gray Poet saying ~~

"Now I shall expound and illustrate the similarities. Since it is difficult to avoid digression in flowing text form, I shall order my thoughts into points:"

Disheveled heaps of paper more likely. 400 +/-

Message 7690 of 7,715
latest reply

838. Why did two California school districts ban an illustrated edition of Little Red Riding Hood in 1989?

Message 7691 of 7,715
latest reply

838.  An illustrated edition of "Little Red Riding Hood" was banned in two California school districts in 1989. Following the Little Red-Cap story from Grimm's Fairy Tales, the book shows the heroine taking food and wine to her grandmother. The school districts cited concerns about the use of alcohol in the story.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/banned-books.html

Message 7692 of 7,715
latest reply

838 a

Another site puts the year as 1990 and the CA schools as Culver City and Empire Union. 

A FL school looked into banning the book due to the wolf being to scary but the ban was not carried out.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/aug/27/moms-demand-action-gun-sense-america/...

Message 7693 of 7,715
latest reply

Mmadigan - Yep, that is the reason. The image of the little girl with alcohol was too much for the two school districts to tolerate.

839. Although nearly every library permitted the regular version, what book was rejected by many libraries in its 1982 Reader's Digest "condensed" version?

Message 7694 of 7,715
latest reply

839. The Bible.

Message 7695 of 7,715
latest reply