cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

2. What is the most valuable printed book?

Answer in invisible ink: 2. Was The Gutenberg Bible; now it is the Caxton Canterbury Tales

Note: I think a complete Gutenberg would beat the Canterbury if offered up to auction. However, the Caxton Canterbury is currently the most expensive printed book ever to change hands. 13 million? I forget.....
Message 1 of 7,715
latest reply
7,714 REPLIES 7,714

Re: SATNROSE’S BOOK QUIZ

My guess:

The Book of Los by William Blake,  1795

Message 7201 of 7,715
latest reply

Knowing nothing about this, I found Recuyell of the Historyes of Troye by Raoul Lefevre, translated into English by William Caxton. Published either 1473 or 1474.  It's said to be the first book printed in English, and I find pictures that include color:

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2014/english-literature-history-childrens-books-illus...

But don't know whether the color is printed or if it was hand colored.

Anyway, that's my guess...

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 7202 of 7,715
latest reply

The pictures include color, but it was hand-color.

The book I am thinking of was 15th century and written by a woman.

Message 7203 of 7,715
latest reply

@oldbookshopnj wrote:

The pictures include color, but it was hand-color.

The book I am thinking of was 15th century and written by a woman.

Thanks -- This may be the first time I've tried to answer one of these questions...

Fig

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 7204 of 7,715
latest reply

My earlier guess of The Book of Los by William Blake,  1795 was based on the assumption that the question was for the first color printed English language book (meaning the book was actually printed in color versus being hand-colored).

I don't know the answer to the question, but since the book in question is from the 15th century, it must have been printed sometime between 1475 and 1499, because the first printed English language book was Recuyell of the Historyes of Troye, in 1475. 

Maybe this will provide a clue for someone who knows the right answer. 

Me?  I'm clueless ... Smiley Happy

Message 7205 of 7,715
latest reply

I may have worded the question unclearly, but I was looking for a book that used more than one color of printing ink.

The book I am thinking of is best known for its sporting content, not for the portion printed in color.

Message 7206 of 7,715
latest reply

748. Book of Saint Albans (Book of Hawking, Hunting, and Heraldry) by Juliana Berners and published in 1486. She also wrote "A Treatise of Fishing with an Angle" (1496 ) which became part of the Book of St. Albans. It was the first known book on fishing written by a woman.

Book of Saint Albans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Saint_Albans

Juliana Berners was a nun who is said to have also been the prioress of the Priory of St. Mary of Sopwell.

Juliana Berners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliana_Berners

Message 7207 of 7,715
latest reply

Congratulations to lludwig.

Here is a link to an image of a page with the colorful heraldic devices and some hand-drawn embellishments:

https://exhibitions.lib.cam.ac.uk/incunabula/artifacts/book-of-hawking/

Message 7208 of 7,715
latest reply

749.  A number of printers worked in Massachusetts before a printing press arrived in any of the other British North American colonies. 

What was the first book printed in what is now the United States that was not printed in Massachusetts?

Message 7209 of 7,715
latest reply

749.  William Penn's "Excellent Privilege of Liberty and Property"

Message 7210 of 7,715
latest reply

Very close--right printer, right state, but a little late.

Message 7211 of 7,715
latest reply

749. Kalendarium . . . Being an Almanack For the Year of Grace 1686
Printed by William Bradford in December of 1685 in Philadelphia

Message 7212 of 7,715
latest reply

Congratulations to lludwig.

Bradford ran into trouble with this almanac, offending William Penn:

This first venture was also a harbinger of troubles concerning restrictions on his

press. Immediately following its publication, the Provincial

Council ordered that the words "Lord Penn" be blotted out of all

copies of the almanac as being contrary to Quaker tenets and

that Bradford henceforth print nothing "but what shall have

Lycence from ye Councill."^

This led to his second publication, Good Order Established in Pennsilvania & New-Jersey, appearing without a location or a publisher's name since he did not have a license for it. It has been ascribed to his press by type comparisons.

He had continuing problems with the government in Pennsylvania, returned to England briefly, and then settled in New York in 1693, becoming official printer to the crown. In 1698 his press and one in Massachusetts were the only two presses operating in the British colonies.

Message 7213 of 7,715
latest reply

750. What was the first book published in the Americas, when and where, and by whom?

Message 7214 of 7,715
latest reply

750. The Bay Psalm Book was published in 1640 by the Puritan Leaders of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in Cambridge, MA
Message 7215 of 7,715
latest reply