cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little Prince 1943 Harcourt Edition $4.25 Price

littleprinceold1.jpglittleprinceold2.jpglittleprinceold3.jpg

I am getting very confused looking at listings for this book. 

Many list as first edition, with or without dust jacket and very widely varying prices.

I think the original price was $3.75 so does that make this a first edition with a later edition dust jacket?

And is there any explanation for the very wide sales price of the same actual book with the same title page?

Thanks for all of your help.  One day I will get this stuff figured out.

Sue

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Little Prince 1943 Harcourt Edition $4.25 Price

"One easy way to tell whether or not a copy is an early edition is by looking at the publisher that is listed on the title page. Copies printed prior to 1948 were published by Reynal & Hitchcock while those printed during and after 1948 were published by one form or another of the Harcourt, Brace family."

"The Little Prince was first published in English by Reynal & Hitchcock, Inc. in New York on 6 April 1943 and, a few days later in French by the same publisher (Le Petit Prince). Both publications were hardcover books with 93 numbered pages, covered in cloth with a stamped a picture on the front cover and protected by a colour printed dust jacket..."

The Little Prince and the raven (or "how to recognise an original edition")

https://petit-prince-collection.com/lang/corbeau.php?lang=en

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for including that article.  It is very interesting.

I knew that Reynal and Hitchcock were the publishers of the original edition.  I just found so many of the Harcourt ones like mine listed as first editions.  I guess this is just incorrect information?

Sue

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Books can be confusing 🙂

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The notation "W. 9. 68" at the bottom of the copyright page is worth investigating as a reference point for the correct publication year for this copy.

Anyone?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

After examining some of the various listings for THE LITTLE PRINCE on eBay, I've also noticed that quite a few sellers are offering alleged "1st Editions."

Upon examination, however, many of those "1st Editions" have ISBN numbers (which were not used in 1943, and not invented until the late 1960s).

I wonder how many also feature publication addresses which include ZIP Codes  (which were not invented until 1963).

Yes, indeed -- books CAN be confusing!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for your comments.  

It is interesting how many of the editions that have sold have ISBN numbers and yet people claim them to be first editions.  Even I knew ISBN numbers were way newer than 1943 (I think 1970).

I thought that the price on my cover might be a clue, but I haven't been able to find another edition (yet) with that price.

Still looking for guidance if anyone else comes along.

Sue

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

This looks like the September 1968 printing, which concurs with the Harcourt, Brace & World imprint:

1905 World Book Company founded
1919 Harcourt, Brace & Howe founded
1921 Harcourt, Brace & Company, when Howe left.
1960 Harcourt, Brace & World, acquiring World Book Company

This also aligns with the $4.75 DJ price - the 1943 first edition has a $2.00 DJ price.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

With that notation of "W. 9. 68" on the copyright page, I am leaning towards a September 1968 publication date for that particular edition.  The "W" may refer to the print number (23rd printing).

If none of the antiquarians on eBay can give you a definite answer, check with one of the well-known and long-respected antiquarian booksellers in your area.

Scrounging for publication dates can certainly be frustrating, can't it?!?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Remember what was happening in 1943?  World War II. Because of the war book quality of manufacture was generally poor--thinner paper, more prone to yellowing, often smaller book sizes... I am surprised that no one said that by simply looking at the pictures that there was no way this was published in WWII.  Yes eyeballing it would probably suggest a publication date in the 1960s.

--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 10 of 10
latest reply