cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graded Authenticated Signed Bookplate!?

Ran across this interesting sold item recently on eBay, a signed bookplate by Eric Carle, authenticated by Beckett's grading service.

As some may know Beckett's for decades has been the publisher of collectible sports card books and magazines, then vertically integrated into grading services about 20 years ago. Their BGS grading services is highly credible in the sports card market.

Maybe they have been doing non-sports cards autographs for years and I just discovered it. 

Thoughts?

Item 164709311691 sold for best offer < $435 on May 27, 2021

ERIC CARLE SIGNED AUTOGRAPHED BOOKPLATE THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR BECKETT

Item Description:

"The item you are buying is a HAND SIGNED and BECKETT AUTHENTICATED SERVICES (BAS) AUTHENTICATED 3 1/2" x 4" bookplate of Eric Carle. The plastic of the encapsulation is scratch free and the bookplate itself is in BRAND NEW/NEVER BEFORE DISPLAYED condition.

The image(s) of the signed item is the EXACT item you will receive. I DO NOT use a stock image in any of my listings."

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Graded Authenticated Signed Bookplate!?

Bizarre . . . not that the service would authenticate the autograph, but that an artist would autograph a bookplate that wasn't affixed to a book at the publisher's plant.  Which I guess begs for the authentication.

I would think BAS, like any service, would accept any client with a job within their wheelhouse: in this case, autographs. 

I wonder how the bookplate escaped

Message 2 of 2
latest reply