cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Global Shipping Program

Has anyone used it? If so, what is your opinion?

We recently decided to give the Global Shipping Program (GSP) a try after another book went missing in the black hole of South America. Although we don't sell many books to SA, the last 5 or so in the past year never arrived. We did consider, of course, eliminating South America, from where we ship to but decided to first try GSP.

Also several months ago I had a buyer from Sweden email me about two volumes I was selling. He had recently purchased a large and heavy set of books and his shipping cost was less than what I could offer on just 2 much lighter books. 

When we checked a 7 vol set of regular sized books that we have for shipping to the UK, the buyer would pay about $40.00 in shipping which is less that what a Flat Rate Priority Medium Box would be. For us to ship those to a UK buyer, it would be at least double the cost or more.

Maybe by offering the GSP we might gain back some of the international buyers we used to have before postage costs became so high. GSP now ships to 102 countries.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ship-smart/global-shipping-program/help.html#tab=eligible-co...

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

I don't see the reformatted forums, yet. But I wonder whether there is a glitch. Earlier today I replied to a different thread and now I see that my post is not there at all.

So this is sort of a test to see whether I can post or not.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 31 of 88
latest reply

Looks like it was some kind of glitch, fortunately. Someone's busy work gone awry, no doubt.

Message 32 of 88
latest reply

So, despite Lludwig's advice, I couldn't seem to get the GSP to show up when I printed labels. It turns out, during the bulk editing to add GSP in all my listings, I failed to click the "None" instead of "calculated weight" option. Just pointing this out in case anyone else has the same issue.

BTW, another one today, also going to the UK (former UK?). I don't know if this latest international uptick is a coincidence or the result of the GSP. Time will tell.

YouTube has some rather clamorous pundits of the program. I scram from this sort of hyperbole so, again, time will tell.

Message 33 of 88
latest reply

@chagrinbooks wrote:

Looks like it was some kind of glitch, fortunately. Someone's busy work gone awry, no doubt.

Yes, my post in the other thread suddenly appeared, I see -- with the date when I posted it, although it didn't show up for at least 24 hours.

Now, back to the GSP discussion. Having nothing to say about that (not an eBay seller), I will go back to silent lurking.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 34 of 88
latest reply

I have been negotiating a book to Germany for a week and a half now. 

His feelings about Global Shipping are not too fond.

But I do hope you'll be sending it directly and not using eBay's Global Shipping Program, I just had a terrible experience with the latter 😕

For what that's worth. 

Message 35 of 88
latest reply

chagrinbooks - The first book or two that I sold I thought it might be a coincidence; however, after selling five books in three weeks, I don't think it is. Funny story about a German buyer this week. He emailed me all in German and DH loosely translated it. He said the buyer wanted to know shipping costs TO Germany. I emailed the guy back in both English and German and gave the shipping cost and signed both our names. In comes a reply from him in English saying that because of our ebay ID name and the small print of our location, he thought we were in Hamburg [Germany]. Conincidently there is a Hamburg not that far from us - good thing we don't live there or we might have a lot confused German buyers! lol In the end it worked out since he is coming to the US at the end of July and had me ship the book to a relative.

Status Update:

The first book that I mailed via GPS was to Demark GPS on June 21 and it was delivered Friday, July 8. It actually arrived earlier, Tuesday, July 5 but the delivery attempt failed since it was a case of "not in/business closed." On Wed. it was awaiting pick-up and Friday delivered.

The second book went to Canada. It was mailed Tuesday, June 28 and delivered Wednesday, Jul 6.

The third book went to Australia and was mailed Tuesday, Jun 28. It was delivered Thursday, Jul 7

The fourth book went to the Netherlands. It was mailed Wednesday, July 6 and on Friday, July 8 it has been through GPS Customs Documentation and Labeling and shipped to its international destination the same day.

The fifth book went to Canada. It was mailed Tuesday, July 5. No GPS tracking info yet and the estimated delivery date is Saturday, Aug 6, 2016 - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 which would fall in line with the 30 day lock-out which may happen on Monday. The 30 day truce where delivery would continue under the old contract fell apart.

Message 36 of 88
latest reply

I sold my first book requiring GSP shipping this AM which is rather interesting because I have never enrolled in the GSP program.  Then I went to MY Ebay and couldn't find anything about either how to enroll or disenroll.  Ebay sent me a message with a list of instructions of how and where to mail the package, but it disappeared before I could finish reading it, and I can't find it, so I don't even know if I could mail the book if I wanted to.  Anyway, I haven't decided yet if I want to. I don't at all mind paying ebay a commission on items that I sell, but I've found over the years that the less involved I am with ebay the better. 

Message 37 of 88
latest reply

Well, I played around with My Ebay, and the page wasn't easy to find, but I was finally able to opt out of GSP.  Everyone take heed as I know I never enrolled in the first place. 

Message 38 of 88
latest reply

FWIW: http://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-Groliers-Book-of-Knowledge-Encyclopedias.html

Heard it said Encyclopedias are worthless - then bought a old set and the clerk said 'think of what's not in there'. Well...mom disagreed.

I see people buying VHS and cassette tapes which were also once deemed worthless.

If you like it probably someone else likes it, and maybe looking. Good luck.
Message 39 of 88
latest reply

socrates349 - re: ". I don't at all mind paying ebay a commission on items that I sell, but I've found over the years that the less involved I am with ebay the better."

Ebay has nothing to do with GPS, which is run by Pitney Bowes which is a global technology and shipping provider. There is no relationship between Ebay and Pitney Bowes any more than there is with USPS which Ebay provides the shipping costs. I was in error to label the title of the thread with Ebay since it is misleading.

chagrinbooks - I meant to tell you a related reason why I, not the DH, decided to give the Pitney Bowes GSP a try besides sending multiple books to the black hole of South America. My youngest son works for the fastest growing start-up in the Silicon Valley. The company is the world's first licensed customs brokerage built around a modern Web application - a freight forwarder for the internet age. It's the Uber of the Oceans and Skies! When he first started a little over a year ago, there were about 25-30 employees and the website had all of their photos. Now there are over 100 employees and only photos of the top 3 or 4. The company now has offices in other port cities and several international offices. I don't understand the details but talking to him got me to thinking about moving freight in the 21st century. He was a co-speaker at a conference at Stanford where there were government officials and the military. My older brother, retired Army and who still works in Army related things, cringed when he heard what one of the military guys said. In effect, 'Hey, we have been moving our stuff the old-fashioned way for a century and it still works." Well, I don't think he said a century but that is about what it amounts to.

Message 40 of 88
latest reply

Socrates: I was told by an ebay tech that the customer can also opt into/out of the GSP. She did not mention whether a seller not enrolled in GSP was obligated to use the service if the customer opted in. I didn't think to ask because I'm already enrolled.

Message 41 of 88
latest reply

Thanks, i'll let my customer know this.

I believe his issue had to with [their re-]packaging since he gave me instructions, but that's a guess.

Message 42 of 88
latest reply

Ebay did it again. Another book to be shipped by GPS even though I had disenrolled. I assume it's because the buyer placed an initial bid before I had disenrolled.  This book is expensive and rather fragile, and there's no way I want the Pitney Bowles people unpacking it or even touching it.  I contacted the buyer and told him I'd upgrade shipping to express if he paid me directly. 

Message 43 of 88
latest reply

What type of packaging should the seller use to ship item(s) to the processing center?

Sellers should choose a sturdy corrugated box.
Use void fill (packing materials) to prevent movement of commodities in transit
If commodity is fragile, wrap item with protective packaging, as needed

Will every parcel be opened at the processing center?

Parcels are opened if Regulatory Law requires due to:

Commodity lacks Country of Origin – commodity will be inspected for COO identification
Order is for multi quantity of a single commodity – quantity of contents of parcel will be verified
Order is for multi commodities – quantity of contents of parcel will be verified
US Customs and/or TSA may open parcels for Inspection after shipping from Processing Center
If the commodity is restricted, the parcel will be opened for investigation

If the parcel is Shipped in Original Container (SIOC), will it be opened or repackaged?

Processing Center will not repackage a SIOC — such as an iPhone in a nested package
Processing Center may open for country of origin IF the COO is not visible on the outside of the SIOC

Will the Processing Center repackage, or add void fill (packing material) to my commodity?

The Processing Facility will add professional void fill and/or repackage a commodity, for no additional fee to the seller, if:

The original parcel is too large for the commodity – and then a replacement carton will be used of smaller dimensions
The quality of the original parcel is worn or tattered the processing center will re-tape and reseal the parcel
The original parcel is overweight and the commodity can be repackaged into (2 or more) parcels, allowing parcels to ship forward to buyer

Message 44 of 88
latest reply

Sold a set of 7 slipcased volumes to the Philippines in the wee hours of the morning. First time I have ever had a sale to the Philippines. Still awaiting payment so  I am not counting it  in  the tally of GSP sales until payment arrives.

Message 45 of 88
latest reply