cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay allowing fraudulent sellers to continue to sell on ebay

I recently purchased some homeschooling material on ebay and then received the item from a company with overnight shipping. I hadn't purchased from that company, the order said it was billed to me, and ebay showed the item I had purchased from the seller on ebay as delivered---only package that day. So, imediately, I called the company and asked what was going on. I was told that there are some booksellers on ebay that are selling items then purchasing the items through this company with stolen credit cards. The company has tried to get ebay to ban this seller. I contacted ebay and told them what happened and gave ebay the proof and it is still 3 weeks later and this same seller has items listed. I would like to know why Ebay is NOT banning a seller that is clearly dealing in stolen merchandise and they are well aware of the situation??????

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

They are dropshippers.

Ebay obviously would not ban a seller just based on some customer complaints, especially someone that makes money for Ebay. You can leave negative feedback. Too many negative feedbacks will prod Ebay to act.

Probably a court order or criminal conviction will do.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The matter of stolen credit cards is disturbing, but your source is not "proof" nor even evidence. It is a rumor, at best "hearsay" evidence.

It doesn't sound like a long term business solution.

As for the drop-shipping portion of it, well, that's entirely legal. In fact eBay promotes it, finding wholesalers who will provide that service.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

this is not a dropshipper.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

This is not drop-shipping. It is a particular individual. The company to which this is happening ships directly from their own warehouse. Ebay has been informed by the fraud dept of this company as to the individual and his ebay id; and, between the information the company has and what I have on the invoice, there is definite proof.  It isn't rocket science to determine that someone cannot sell you something and then purchase it from the company at twice that amount and with express, overnight shipping.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

And, yes, myself, along with others have been leaving negative feedback. Others have also recognized this for what it is upon receiving the merchandise. It is easy to spot that something is wrong when you look at the invoice. I cannot go into all the details.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@eclecticeducator wrote:

This is not drop-shipping. It is a particular individual. The company to which this is happening ships directly from their own warehouse. Ebay has been informed by the fraud dept of this company as to the individual and his ebay id; and, between the information the company has and what I have on the invoice, there is definite proof.  It isn't rocket science to determine that someone cannot sell you something and then purchase it from the company at twice that amount and with express, overnight shipping.  

It is not fraud, either.
It is providing the end user with the service requested at a loss for the company providing the service.

Fraud is for personal gain, not for the benefit of others: which would be the buyer and the person who sold the item for twice as much plus shipping.

The only thing the middle seller gets for his purchase is "not a ding" on his performance record. That guy has to be making a LOT of money in a year off eBay from ONLY his top rated seller discount in order to be able to afford that kind of hit for the sake of a performance ding.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Dropshipping is as old as the hills.  It was common back in the dark ages of print mail-order catalogues.  Yes, dropshippers will sometimes take a loss to keep customers happy and protect their reputations. 

Did you fail to receive what you ordered?  Was your credit card number used fraudulently?  If the answers are "yes" and "no," then how were you harmed by this seller?  If there was no harm and you simply like to play at being an amateur detective, that's okay, but don't expect others to pay much attention.

If you actually collect a substantial amount evidence of credit card theft, fraudulent use of credit cards, and the sale of stolen merchandise in the home-school supply business -- and I mean real evidence, not hearsay or vague accusations or misapprehensions of common commercial practices -- take that hard evidence to your local police and let them take it from there.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply