cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easton Press Leather Books Stuck Together

I just purchased a set of Easton Press books.  Six of them are stuck together.  Does anyone have suggestions how to separate them with the least amount of damage?

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Easton Press Leather Books Stuck Together

Is there any evidence of what is making them stick together?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

perhaps light application of steam

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

There is no indication of any sort of sticky residue.   I'm guessing that they were packed tightly together and temperature and/or humidity may have had something to do with it.  I noticed that one of the dozen or so that are not stuck has a small amount of the dark brown dye chipped/peeled away around the edge of the front cover, so my guess is that it had been stuck too, and that someone separated it.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

This worked for me in a similar situation:

Take a thin, flat shoelace and coat it with a leather dressing made for books. Pick a corner or edge where you can slip the lace between the two books, and slide it back and forth with a gentle motion. The goal is to lubricate the joined surfaces with minimal friction and get them to release on their own. Don't pull or pry, or you'll just end up with damage to the leather or gilt.

It might or might not work, depending on how badly stuck the books are, but it sounds as if you have nothing to lose in trying. If you have success, fully condition both bindings. (I've never bothered conditoning an Easton Press book, but I'm suggesting it only so you don't have an uneven application afterward.)

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Sorry I didn't see this suggestion regarding the shoelace prior to separating the books.  That was a good idea.  I just pried them apart with only 2 books having minor dye loss.   They should be going up in the next couple weeks.  We'll see how it impacts the price when they go up in a couple weeks.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Did you know when you bought the books that they were in this condition?  Perhaps you are owed a refund.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Does this also work for PU or will it ruin the material?
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

You're replying to a post by emmbook that is well over three years old.  (Zombie threads are becoming a real problem on these boards.)    You might try sending a message through the eBay messaging system.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

(Zombie threads are becoming a real problem on these boards.)

Just so I'm not dismissing something I hadn't considered, what kind of problem is that?

I understand what zombie threads are, and I understand the original poster(s) in this thread may or may not still be paying attention or even eBay members at this point.  But when the question is in context of the information provided in this thread, and even the original conversation was "public" and not "just one member to one other member", what "problem" has been created by replying in context?

Objectively, this still seems like the best place to recieve an answer to exactly the question that was posted, for anyone who wants to answer based on their own experience.  (So that they can clearly see what the question is in reference to.)  Building a "new thread" that simply replicates the reference or context of this existing thread, simply to ask the same question, seems like busy work.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@dovi_wiene wrote:
Does this also work for PU or will it ruin the material?

Is teh PU means "peanutses unsalted?"

Caveatses: I is not teh bookseller, so does not has teh familiarses wiht teh PU.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Since you replied directly to a post that's very old, and since a quick check of the profile shows that emmbook hasn't posted to the boards for many months, I was trying to be helpful.  It backfired.   I'll go away again.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

WAHT IS TEH PU????///?????///??

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Plastiquis Universalem, I believe.

But I've been known to be wrong on occasion.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply