cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookthink's Craig Stark

I have been wondering if anyone knows what happened to Craig Stark of BookThink. He was always very helpful with good information to help booksellers grow and succeed. I hope he is alive and well. Thanks in advance to anyone who may know.

Sincerely,

Shawn

Membrana Books

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Bookthink's Craig Stark

Craig made his last post here about five years ago, see https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Booksellers/Booksellers/m-p/26231588#M46360

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

Thank you so much. I faithfully read every article he put out on BookThink and also bought a number of his resources. Unfortunately, he has not posted anything new on his website since the end of May 2019. I am grateful for his mentorship and think of him often. As I said I hope he is well.

Sincerely,

Shawn

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

I heard from Craig in August of 2019 and he is (was) well.  He had moved to Maryland from Florida and we spoke via email about meeting for lunch some day in the fall (of 2019).  I wrote some articles for BookThink, but never met Craig in person.  He contacted me when someone sent him a question regarding one of my articles.

Unfortunately, we never finalized our plans and then Covid happened.  

Hopefully, we will pull off that lunch meeting at some point in the future!   

I'll contact him this weekend (via email) and tell him about this thread. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

Craig posts occasionally on the bf-insider mailing list (the bf comes from Bookfinder and that is where the list originated). If you are interested:

Description

The BF-Insider is a list for people to discuss the online book industry. It's targeted towards booksellers, industry professionals, and those with an interest in what happens behind the scenes of the online book selling world.

https://groups.google.com/g/bf-insider/

--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

Thank you for the alert, Michele. Hi Shawn, and thank you for the kind words, not to mention your longstanding support.  Hope you and Rebecca are doing well.  And it's good to see you here, Stan.  Is your site still growing? Haven't been there lately ... shame on me.

I feel like I should explain my absence, at least to some extent. I had some health issues a few years back, and though those have been resolved, my partner of some years had a huge health scare in recent months. Fortunately, the outcome looks at least (guardedly) promising for her. I think about BookThink often and how much I'd like to restart things. Michele, for one, has recently mentioned some interest in writing for BT again. Of all the contributors we had over the years she had an unusual combination of qualities that made her especially invaluable. She always had great ideas for what to write about , had significant knowledge about the trade, researched the crap out of things she wrote about - and best of all, she could actually write, you know, put sentences together that made sense and often required no editing. It made my job so easy. Michele, I do expect you to identify the best Gettysburg restaurant  when we come, and perhaps you might have time to give us a tour of the battlefield.  I was up there a few years ago to track down my great great grandfather's statue but unfortunately didn't have time to do much else. 

For anybody who is reading this, I want to thank you for your contributions to this forum. I'm sure all of us have learned much from the experience, especially in the early days. 

Meanwhile, I hope to be back in the BookThink saddle soon.  I love you guys.

Craig

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

"Glad to see you're still alive
You're looking like a saint"

I, too, have wondered a bit about your health and welfare. I visited the chats there regularly until they disappeared, and after a long sigh and, a "well, Facebook killed the radio show" moment, went on about my business. 

I wonder other things--about how this board was torn apart by silly political loyalties and how those who loved to bang this box of rocks with ten-penny hammers feel about the way things were led... but, like Lather, that's all over. 

I invited Stan to the  Vintage, Rare, & Antique Books group on FB a while back and he's finding a place there. I wonder about Joe--he'd quickly find a place for himself and his white rabbit. It's full of folks obsesses with Bibles and Q'rans and other old  and odd bits of paper found in the back strips of books. Some 20,000 members or so. Run by a Miami area bookseller you might now: Eisenstein--an older fella (older than me, so that's old) and family of medical examiners. 

Lots of the usual how-much-is-my-Grosset and Dunlap reprint really worth? questions but as much or more knowledge as used to flow here, and some entertaining banter. Facebook has evolved into a fairly decent social network for booksellers, with plenty of focus groups. Even some sales.

Don't be a stranger.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/657123184415628/?multi_permalinks=4329215547206355%2C432728123739978...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

Hello Craig - It's fantastic to hear from you again! I hope your health(s) continue on a favorable path.

My website is still puttering along, I haven't posted much the past couple of years, however am retiring in March and plan to be disciplined about posting regularly on the children's book hobby and market. If you feel any of the articles appeal to BookThink readers than of course you can leverage the content as needed.

I have posted on the BSB nearly weekly, trying to keep the Collectible Children's Books and Book Looks Like Nothing threads from falling into the electronic netherworld. Have really missed your contributions.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

Many thanks for the article offer, Stan. One or so of those might help me restart things. 

It's been a noble effort on your part to keep the two threads alive. I'm sure I learned more about children's books from you than any other source, both here and on your site. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement and new chapter!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

I have not checked the BSB in many months, possibly not once this year, but think about it often.  How wonderful to log in and see a shout out to Craig, who was very important to my career shift  to full time book selling.

Not much to say, other than a public thank you to Craig, and all the BSBers who helped me along the way.

Happy Holidays everyone,

Adam

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

(Reposting under the screenname older BSBers might remember me by.)

I have not checked the BSB in many months, possibly not once this year, but think about it often.  How wonderful to log in and see a shout out to Craig, who was very important to my career shift  to full time book selling.

Not much to say, other than a public thank you to Craig, and all the BSBers who helped me along the way.

Happy Holidays everyone,

Adam

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Bookthink's Craig Stark

Very informative. Thank you! This is written 7 months later, and you may not see it. I just found it while browsing through this site, which I almost never visit any more.

Best wishes to you and your partner.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply