satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Ask any question about any book Part II

Hi all,

I think I found a 1949 edition of "The Important Book" by Margaret Wise Brown. This is a former library book, so I know collectibility for this item is not as desirable as a non-library book, but I was just wondering how rare this book is to find, library edition or not? The book still has the dust jacket with it (it is fairly worn) and some of the pages are a little torn at the bottom. The inside flap of the DJ at the right bottom reads "net $3.27" and there are library stamps in the inside and back cover of the book. The copyright page states "Copyright 1949 Margaret Wise Brown" and is by Harper & Row Publishers..

Thanks!
Message 3556 of 4,794
latest reply

toysfungames - Harper Firsts typically state "First Edition" on the verso of the title leaf, although there are exceptions. The Date Code for 1949 is "Y."
Message 3557 of 4,794
latest reply

toysfungames - as an aside, if your book actually was published by "Harper and Row," it was printed after 1962.
Message 3558 of 4,794
latest reply

toysfungames

There are 227 listed for sale on viaLibri.net, although a number of those are duplicate listings.
Message 3559 of 4,794
latest reply

I have a copy of Book-Keeping by Double Entry, Simplified and Adapted to the Business of Both Merchants and Manufacturers Based Upon an Entirely New System, Whereby Much Labor and Time is Saved, and by Which the Accountant is Rendered Less Liable to Mistakes, to Which is Added A Single Entry Form;,and Numerous Rules for Commercial Calculations, and Much Important Information in Relation to Commerce and Trade Generally. . (Whew.This is exactly how it is listed on WorldCat.) Pub. 1854. Now my question is. As I look at the front of the page, the indentions of the letters, ect. on the backside of the page can be seen and felt. Does this condition have a name?

Thanks for any help

Liz
Message 3560 of 4,794
latest reply

I don't think it is really a "condition." It was printed on a letterpress. Letterpress printing leaves indentations that you can feel.
Message 3561 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks so much for the help. I'll google letterpress.

Liz
Message 3562 of 4,794
latest reply

mainer1a
Enthusiast
Hope I am doing this right. I have this book, ON THE BRINK OF A CHASM by L T MEADE, F M BUCKLES PUBLISHER, 1899.

I can only find one other for sale. Is it of any value?
Thanks in advance Marge
Message 3563 of 4,794
latest reply

mainer1a
Enthusiast
I do see some of the same authors books on sale and they do not look very valuable. Leads me to believe that this one is not either. Right?
Message 3564 of 4,794
latest reply

I hope I am asking this question in the correct place. I have a book entitled CHildren by Walter T. Foster, How to draw children. There is no date that I can find. There are a few like it listed but the prices are all over the place. ANy ideas on how to price and the possible date?

Check out my blog for ideas on living on less! http://thriftylivin.blogspot.com/
Message 3565 of 4,794
latest reply

From this site I don't see the prices all over the place. Price it in the middle of the two, or don't list it at all, there is probably not much demand for it.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=foster&bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&sortby=2&sts=t&tn=draw+children&x=0&y=0
Message 3566 of 4,794
latest reply

> toysfungames - as an aside, if your book actually was published by "Harper and Row," it was printed after 1962.

Thanks for the info! Just curious -- how do you know it was printed after 1962 when the copyright page states 1949? I really need to know for future reference because I will really be in trouble thinking I'm finding books that are a certain year, but actually printed in another. It's so confusing! 😮

Thanks again!
Message 3567 of 4,794
latest reply

Pay no attention to copyright dates. The printing date will generally be on the title page, not on the copyright page. If the book is undated, it's catalogued as "No Date."

Harper and Row wasn't in existence until 1962.
Message 3568 of 4,794
latest reply

I see! I figured that maybe the company wasn't formed until 1962 and that that might be how you came up with the date! 🙂

With the info you just provided, I guess what I have is a "No Date" version of the book. Probably doesn't do much for value 😞

There is a gold sticker on the dustjacket that reads "HarperCrest" with what looks like a torch symbol separating the words Harper and Crest on the sticker. Does that give any clarification as to the date of the book?

Thanks!
Message 3569 of 4,794
latest reply

The actual date is somewhat irrelevant. Anyone who wants the book will buy it for the content and won't care what edition it is. We sell all of the Foster books in the store at the same very modest price.
Message 3570 of 4,794
latest reply