Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

Concerning the dates, should the full day/month/year be given, when known, or will the year alone suffice?

When the date of printing is known, it should be given, whether as printed or as known from another source.  When within the book, as with dated prefaces, the scribal notations of the rubricator, and cetera, but outside the colophon, the month and year are given parenthetically:

"(22 November) 1473."

When known from a bibliographical source, the year and month are given in brackets, with the Standard Citation noted:

"[14 October] 1927 (Hanneman)"

Message 4711 of 4,794
latest reply

Thank you fine. I think I understand.

The bookthink guide was the one I was working from, Mr Stark writes well.  Made it through the first four, Rubric, Author, Named Persons, and Title. On to the next 4 today.

I grabbed a random title to practice, it was by chance that it was one with a misspelling.  Bound in London, I assumed it was due to a silly Englishman tyring to aggravate old wounds with the French printers.

I  was fortunate to find a listing of Chagrinbooks to match a title I had on hand. Even though my copy was one with a wholly detached binding, and the text is broken into 4 unequal chunks, and the plates were long ago turned into some rather macabre greeting  cards by an RN I know, it was helpful to compare, and made clearer the importance of collation, so many thanks to them as well.

Message 4712 of 4,794
latest reply

I  was fortunate to find a listing of Chagrinbooks to match a title I had on hand. Even though my copy was one with a wholly detached binding, and the text is broken into 4 unequal chunks, and the plates were long ago turned into some rather macabre greeting  cards by an RN I know, it was helpful to compare, and made clearer the importance of collation, so many thanks to them as well.

Keith's listings are always first rate; reading them provides a very good teacher.

Message 4713 of 4,794
latest reply

Thank you fine. I think I understand.

The bookthink guide was the one I was working from, Mr Stark writes well. 

If you check the credit on the bookthink article you'll see that it was written by fine.books himself and not by Craig Stark.

Message 4714 of 4,794
latest reply

Quite right. I failed to notice, and had not made the connection of name to ebay id.  Very nice to know. Apologies all around.

fine.books writes very well and with much generosity. It is greatly appreciated.

Mr. Stark has great site, and is indeed fortunate to have such great contributors.

There is a winter storm heading my way, should provide some quiet time to continue knocking my head against the article.

Message 4715 of 4,794
latest reply

fine.books writes very well and with much generosity. It is greatly appreciated.

Mr. Stark has great site, and is indeed fortunate to have such great contributors.

Craig writes well in his own right.

Message 4716 of 4,794
latest reply

Yet another collation question.

Should unopened pages be indicated at the Pagination, or at the Physical Description?

The collations I have looked at usually place them  at Physical Description, most noting this as 'with many unopened pages', 'signatures unopened', 'partially unopened' or other similar wording. If a volume has a mix of opened and unopened pages, should the detail show the page numbers that are, and are not, opened?

For a multi-volume set, where the page numbering for the second volume continues where the previous volume ends, is there an indication needed or  would it look similar to the following -  V1 pagination=[i - viii] [1, 2] 3 - 366, V2 pagination=[i-viii] [1,2] 367-732 ?

I am not entirely sure that these question are valid. I think I may have actually gone back a step or two today. Time to call it a day and pick it up again tomorrow.

Message 4717 of 4,794
latest reply

I am looking into the following book - Questions on Divinity

http://www.worldcat.org/title/questions-on-divinity-containing-questions-on-the-old-testament-questi...

and would like to learn more about the publisher: J. Vincent, Oxford  of Oxford, UK,

the mentioned title was first printed 1827 (i think), I am looking at a copy of 1833, stated sixth edition, with a truncated title (worldcat lists it as AKA). I was hoping to find something to make a comparison, with scattered results.

I have so far checked - ebay listings, yahoo search, google search, amazon, abe, addall, worldcat, using as many combinations as I could think of.

Printed by Bartlett & Hinton

No author name, anywhere

What I can only describe as a baffling pagination.

A cryptic line of numbers and/or letters and/or symbols. My guess would be perhaps a printers code, but I dont really know.

Laid in at the front is a four page list of works available, 40-50 titles, worldcat turned up 17 of them.

Any suggestion of where to go looking for more info would be great.

Message 4718 of 4,794
latest reply

Just a clown's opinion, but I suspect that the topic of collation would become much clearer for you if you study the following (in the order presented):

1. Chapter 6 of Jean Peters' Book Collecting: A Modern Guide 

2. pp. 311-391 of Philip Gaskell's A New Introduction to Bibliography

and, when you're feeling brave ...

3. The entire text of Fredson Bowers' Principles of Bibliographic Description

Message 4719 of 4,794
latest reply

Yes, I was afraid someone was going to say that.

I came across recommendations for the Peters and the Gaskell guide at several times yesterday, I will try to get those on the way.

The Bowers, I had not seen, that looks good as well. I'm nowhere near brave enough just yet.

I kept at it for a few more hours yesterday. Move on to another that was far more interesting, and was up until 730 this morning trying to... I don't really know what I was trying to do.  It was a stated enigma, complete with cryptic clues.  It's probably nothing of value but it is brilliant - I've never seen anything like it, and it was the first time since I have been listing that I felt a little bit of the thrill that I had always would be part of this.

It is daunting for sure, I never thought it would be easy. Every answer costs a dozen questions. I dont know how you folks do it.

I ended up making a sporcle vocabulary quiz just so I could learn to tell my recto from my elbow.

Thanks for the references, I will check those out.

Message 4720 of 4,794
latest reply

Bump

Message 4721 of 4,794
latest reply

I know its been ages, but do you still have the Rose Zalles book? She was my great aunt.

Thanks,

Tia Lotuff

Message 4722 of 4,794
latest reply

What makes this set of three books worth $130?

I'd have guessed it would have gone for a lot less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Prose-Works-of-WILLIAM-WORDSWORTH-Vols-I-III-1974-/390835645707

The Prose Works of WILLIAM WORDSWORTH, Vols I -III 1974

Edited by W. J. B. Owen and Jane Worthington Smyser , Published at the Clarendon Press , Oxford 1974

Nice condition but ex-library and a reprint of a classic author who has probably been reprinted a million times.

Just luck or is there some special feature that makes this set valuable? Prose Works of WILLIAM WORDSWORTH, Vols I -III 1974

Message 4723 of 4,794
latest reply

Miranda is a close cousin of thumbelina, but dances the flamenco in the palm of my hand.

She lead me to this answer:

http://www.vialibri.net/cgi-bin/book_search.php?refer=start&sv=fHxQcm9zZSBXb3JrcyBvZiBXaWxsaWFtIFdvc...

Basic research.

Message 4724 of 4,794
latest reply

Nice condition but ex-library and a reprint of a classic author who has probably been reprinted a million times.

His poetry perhaps, but not so much his prose - and this is a complete set. The outcome (less than what could've been realized, I'd say) seems about right to me, given the seller. 

Message 4725 of 4,794
latest reply