Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

Thanks for help............Have you heard of a book concerning :Lexicon Manuale 1808 -Cornelu Schrevelu by Thomas Johnson Warner - First American Edition ..Philadelphia ....
Message 4396 of 4,794
latest reply

You are misspelling some of the words in the title:

Availability: Check the catalogs in your library.
Libraries worldwide that own item: 48

Title: Cornelii Schrevelii Lexicon manuale, græco-latinum et latino-græcum;
studio atque opera Josephi Hill, Joannis Entick, nec non Gulielmi Bowyer, adauctum. In super quoque ad calcem adjectæ sunt sententiæ græco-latinæ, quibus omnia gr. ling. primitiva comprehenduntur. Item tractabus duo: Alter de resolutione verborum, De articulis alter; uterque perutilis, et æque desideratus.
Author(s): Schrevel, Cornelis, 1608-1664.
Hill, Joseph,; 1625-1707, ; ed.
Entick, John,; 1703?-1773, ; joint ed.
Bowyer, William,; 1699-1777.
Publication: Philadelphiæ: sumptibus Is. Thomas, junioris, Worcesterii Massachusetensis, et Johnson & Warner, Philadelphiæ,
Edition: Editio XIX, et prima americana, prioribus auctior et emendatior.
Year: 1808
Description: vi, [648] p. incl. tables. 23 cm.
Language: Latin
Standard No: LCCN: 04-5146
SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Greek language -- Dictionaries -- Latin.
Latin language -- Dictionaries -- Greek.
Class Descriptors: LC: PA442
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19781010
Update: 20100819
Accession No: OCLC: 4283001
Database: WorldCat

Keep your searches simple, and if you get too many results, then add additional terms. Try this search on abe:

Title: Lexicon
Date: 1808
Message 4397 of 4,794
latest reply

I am looking for information on a miniature book with the title A Blow At The Root of Antinomianism, by The Rev. John Flavel, Published : Philadelphia: Presbyterian Board of Publications. This book was stereotyped by S. Douglas Wyeth, Philadelphia; It was printed by Wm. S. Martien.
The miniature book is 3" x 4.5" and contains 124 pages, has red blind stamped covers with a very fancy spine design along with the title " Flavel On Antinomianism".
I've been searching using the title script off the title page and come with zero.
I can information on Flavel, and the publisher and printers. I think it may of been printed around 1815 but just not sure.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Mary
Beargulchbooks
Message 4398 of 4,794
latest reply

I am looking for information on a miniature book with the title A Blow At The Root of Antinomianism, by The Rev. John Flavel, Published : Philadelphia: Presbyterian Board of Publications. This book was stereotyped by S. Douglas Wyeth, Philadelphia; It was printed by Wm. S. Martien.
The miniature book is 3" x 4.5" and contains 124 pages, has red blind stamped covers with a very fancy spine design along with the title " Flavel On Antinomianism".
I've been searching using the title script off the title page and come with zero.
I can information on Flavel, and the publisher and printers. I think it may of been printed around 1815 but just not sure.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Mary

WorldCat indicates that it was published in 1840, and that it is held by 13 libraries worldwide. You can view a copy of the book at "google books": search Flavel antinomianism.
Message 4399 of 4,794
latest reply

malectibles:

If you are interested in information about the contents of the book try here:

Link
Message 4400 of 4,794
latest reply

Thank you for your help. I do not know why Google did not bring it up for me. yesterday.
Beargulchbooks
Message 4401 of 4,794
latest reply

What are the points-of-issue for the first edition hard cover True Grit? Is it $4.95 on the DJ and 'First Printing' on the copyright page?

Portis has an avid following, True Grit is a terrific American novel (destined for future greatness, more so than currently perceived), and now two major movie presentations. No first editions currently on the market - what is a reasonable retail value? I would guess somewhere north of $1000? Your opinion is appreciated.
Message 4402 of 4,794
latest reply

Found the answer, states 'First Printing' and $4.95 on bottom of front flap.
Message 4403 of 4,794
latest reply

Epaminondas and his Auntie by Sara Cone Bryant

Does anyone know the first edition points for this book published by Houghton Mifflin? I find references to a red, a yellow, and a tan cover being the first edition.
Message 4404 of 4,794
latest reply

I cannot comment on the bindings, but Houghton Mifflin is quite consistent even in children's books in putting the date on the title page of the first printing and removing it in later printings.
Message 4405 of 4,794
latest reply

oldbookshopnj

Thank you for your response. The LOC has the date as [1938]. WorldCat has the date as c1938. I've checked a number of libraries, and they have either [1938] or c1938.

Any suggestions on where else I might look?

Happy New Year!
Message 4406 of 4,794
latest reply

The first separate Houghton Mifflin edition in Worldcat is 1907, but this seems inconsistent with the age of the illustrator:

Title: Epaminondas and his auntie /
Author(s): Bryant, Sara Cone, 1873-
Hogan, Inez,; 1895- ; (Illustrator)
Publication: Boston : Houghton Mifflin,
Year: 1907
Description: 16 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 21 cm.
Language: English
SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Humorous stories.
Class Descriptors: LC: PZ7.B841
Responsibility: by Sara Cone Bryant.
Material Type: Fiction (fic)
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19990409
Update: 20080604
Accession No: OCLC: 41141629
Database: WorldCat
Message 4407 of 4,794
latest reply

I hadn't realized that the 1907 edition was published by Houghton Mifflin. That's probably the cause of the confusion for the 1938 printing. Although, with a change in the illustrator, wouldn't the 1938 edition also have been a first?

Thanks again.
Message 4408 of 4,794
latest reply

If I may ask:

What is the difference between [1938] and c1938 in a book listing?

I was reading the previous questions about Epaminondas and his Auntie. I do not know the significance of the brackets.
Message 4409 of 4,794
latest reply

I think the 1907 entry is bad cataloging, and that the book was first published as a separate title in 1938.

The confusion comes from the copyright page of the 1938 edition, which lists a 1907 copyright. The story was first published as part of a larger book and this may be why Houghton Mifflin does not use a title page date for the first printing.

When the Library of Congress puts a date in brackets, it means it is not on the title page. "c 1938" means copyrighted 1938.

In standard bibliographical practice (not what the Library of Congress uses):

1938 -- on the title page
(1938) -- on the copyright page
[1938] -- elsewhere in the book or derived from other information
Message 4410 of 4,794
latest reply