Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

I can check tomorrow, but I am not sure I have anything useful.
Message 4381 of 4,794
latest reply

I recently picked up a copy of Andesonville Viiolets by Herbert Collingwood. It is copyright 1988 by Lee and Shepard.
Title page lists Boston 1889 Lee and Shepard Publishers. 10 Mile Street Next "the old south meeting house" New York Chas. T. Dillingham 718 and 720 Broadway.

Green boards, no violets on the spine.

Apparently it is quite a scarce book, the lowest price on addall is $320, no listings on Amazon.
Two questions: 1. How do I tell if I have a first first?

2. Does the fact that it has been reprinted all over the place, google even has it online for free significantly effect the chance of selling it for a high price?

It appears to be an important discussion about relations between north and south after the war, discussion the horrible Andersonville prison treatment of Northern soldiers during the war. Mine is in good condition, maybe a bit better, with a bookplate of former owner inside.
Message 4382 of 4,794
latest reply

oops, copyright is 1888.
Message 4383 of 4,794
latest reply

The earliest edition I find is the 1888 Boston, Lee and Shepard; New York, C.T. Dillingham, version on Worldcat and general search.

Noted here in the Book review for 1888-1889, http://books.google.com/books?id=ZdsRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA232&dq=andersonville+violets+Herbert+W+Collingwood&hl=en&ei=RbgFTfzxIYS0lQeevpDlCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=andersonville%20violets%20Herbert%20W%20Collingwood&f=false.

Here is the 1889 version with 1889 on title page.
http://books.google.com/books?id=YLsOAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA279&dq=andersonville+violets+Herbert+W+Collingwood&hl=en&ei=RbgFTfzxIYS0lQeevpDlCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=andersonville%20violets%20Herbert%20W%20Collingwood&f=false.

Just some added info, nothing definitive.
Message 4384 of 4,794
latest reply

Wright's American Fiction, vol. 3, lists the first edition as Boston, Lee and Shephard; New York, Chas. T. Dillingham, 1889 [title page date].

Any catalog entries using an 1888 date were probably badly written and used the copyright date of 1888 rather than the title page date.

It was quite common for books released for the Christmas season to have the next year's date on the title page.

The reprints will not affect the value of the original.
Message 4385 of 4,794
latest reply

Any catalog entries using an 1888 date were probably badly written and used the copyright date of 1888 rather than the title page date.

It was quite common for books released for the Christmas season to have the next year's date on the title page.

The reprints will not affect the value of the original.

Oldbookshop, I'm really glad you wrote that .... it's perfect timing, because I was going to ask about a Civil War regimental history I saw at an antiques store the other day.

I was wondering if the original still had value, since there are facsimile reprints available on the market.
Message 4386 of 4,794
latest reply

Oldbookshop, I'm really glad you wrote that .... it's perfect timing, because I was going to ask about a Civil War regimental history I saw at an antiques store the other day.

I was wondering if the original still had value, since there are facsimile reprints available on the market.

Michele - bear in mind that Collingwood's Andersonville Violets is one of the great Civil War novels, and is collected just as is any other modern fiction. Regimental histories are - by and large - sought for content rather than being collected as literary works, and reprints will often have a profound effect on the value of such books.

Message 4387 of 4,794
latest reply

Joe, thanks for that clarification.

A curse on all non-fiction reprints and facsimiles!

;-)
Message 4388 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks for the info on Andersonville Violets.

Speaking of good and complete listings, I was not familiar with this book, although of course I was familiar with the prison. My grandfather told me that I had at least two GG Uncles who died at Andersonville prison.

Anyway, I was made aware of the significance of the book due to a very complete addall listing from a seller who had this book, mentioning how if effected north and south relations 25 years after the war. I have to remember that next time I try to use a short description.
Message 4389 of 4,794
latest reply

A curse on all non-fiction reprints and facsimiles!

I wouldn't give up on the regimental history without doing some sales-history research. This fall I sold three RHs north of $500 and several north of $200 - all of which had modern reprints available. What did distinguish them was that they were relatively uncommon as first editions and were Confederate-authored titles with a focus on the Virginia theater of the War. Also, several were signed by vets - a pretty common phenomenon.

There is so much Civil War material out there in the form of reproductions, facsimiles, fakes, etc. that the real thing, even in the form of a book, is still sought after by a small but enthusiastic group of collectors, though I agree that reprints do erode the CW market more generally.
Message 4390 of 4,794
latest reply

I have a question about a little 10-page poetry book I've had for awhile. It's called "Gladness in the Way" by James W. Foley, printed in 1913 by P.F. Volland & Co., Chicago. It's got beautiful Art Nouveau decorations, and I'm wondering if they could be hand-decorated? On the title page, there is a tiny "B" at the bottom of the illustration, and it looks to me like the upper part of the page is sprinkled with gold. It looks like there is overlaid gold in the illustration - in all the illustrations - so I'm wondering if this was all hand-done, and I don't know how to tell. I see there are a few for sale on Addall, the highest being $25.00. None of them mention Art Nouveau or a signed illustration.
Other than an inscription on fep, mine is in perfect condition. I don't know how to put a photo on this site...

Thanks in advance,
Falinda
Message 4391 of 4,794
latest reply

It is probably printed decoration; I do not think Volland did hand-coloring.

Look at the decorated area with a 10X lens--hand-coloring will show a lot of irregularities, but printing coloring is much more regular. Volland did a lot of books and greeting cards in an Art Nouveau style.
Message 4392 of 4,794
latest reply

oldbookshopnj - Thank you. I don't have a 10x lens, so I guess I'll take it down to the local publisher and see if they have one, of if they can tell me for sure.
Message 4393 of 4,794
latest reply

evening .......having trouble finding information on Book : Report of the Commissioner of Agricultive 1862-forward by Abraham Lincoln -President ....Senate Issue .........Thanks for help .
Message 4394 of 4,794
latest reply