satnrose
Guide
There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

Re: A book that looks like nothing.

Just a quick bump, and big thank you to all who contributed to this topic. I found another Easton Press edition just yesterday. Your mega-list has allowed me to cherry-pick older books right under the noses of the scanner crowd.

Anyway, thanks again, and good luck hunting.

Message 1816 of 1,978
latest reply

The July 1996 issue of Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, with the Hugo Novella winning story "Blood Of The Dragon", which eventually led to George RR Martin's epic fantasy saga Song of Ice and Fire and HBO's series Game of Thrones.

Since there are no copies currently on the market, and given the fanatical fan interest (notice the number of fanzine websites devoted to the series), I would shoot the moon on the price. Probably price an issue at $300-$500.

Message 1817 of 1,978
latest reply

westvirginiamccoy
Enthusiast

Yesterday at the local Goodwill store I saw this book titled The Girl Scout Murders and wondered if this was for real.  I didn't even want to touch something with such a schlocky title, but curiosity got the best of me.  I browsed through it and decided it was worth adding to the other books on crime I've accumulated.  Got home and looked it up on amazon to see what reviews others who've read it might have said.  No reviews but there are three listed for sale from $248 to $1183.  What is going on here?  Turns out there was a court order to stop the presses due to a lawsuit, and only a handful of copies got out to critics and other book reviewers.  How it ended up here is anyone's guess.  I may list it after I've read it but haven't decided for sure.  Currently there is one listed for $400 from a seller in Virginia, and I'll see how that plays out.  Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Girl-Scout-Murders-A-True-Story-of-Violent-Death-and-Indian-Justice-RARE...

Message 1818 of 1,978
latest reply

Here's a recently published but already out-of-print paperback on Railway Travel that sells for north of $100.

Guide to North America's Tourist Railways and Museums

Message 1819 of 1,978
latest reply

Thank you!  Another gem to add!

This thread is one of the best.  I come and read it when I have some down time.  This is an invaluable tool.

Sad it seems to be losing interest. I wonder if it has to do with the new phone apps that make it so easy to research on the spot.   I have looked for some of the old regulars, but they do not seem to be around much.

Hope all are well, and thanks for a great thread.

Message 1820 of 1,978
latest reply

Yes, it is sad to see that the thread has slowed down quite a bit this past year.  Here's to renewed interest in 2013!

I look forward to posting a few more good finds in the ABTLLN category soon, and I hope others will do the same.

I think that this thread is to help sellers identify books that those with scanners (myself included) often miss either at first glance or because the book lacks an ISBN number.

Message 1821 of 1,978
latest reply

Hi, everybody! I am a new seller and I love this thread.  Thanks to everyone.

I don't know if this is a huge profit for this board but here are some recent success stories.

I posted a Mystery Science Theater 300 Episode Guide book and it sold quickly for $24.  I found another one at Half Price Books in Columbus, Ohio for $9 and sold it on A*Z*N within an hour of posting it.  It also sold for $24.

Now there are postings for the book as low as $9.95 on that site.

Also, an innocent looking MARVEL SUPERHEROES COOKBOOK can fetch up to $300+.

Message 1822 of 1,978
latest reply

Sorry, I meant Mystery Science Theater 3000 Episode Guide book. 

Message 1823 of 1,978
latest reply

Thanks for sharing rustywalrus:)

I have been a professional bookseller for over 10 years and have yet to notice either, but will now have my radar on.

And as a thank you for sharing, here's my favorite for the day- a modern book of poetry by a relatively well known poet, which sold for $500 several weeks ago...don't ask me why.  Paperback is nothing special, but apparently it is rare in hardcover!

Weather Central by Ted Kooser- ISBN: 0822937964

Message 1824 of 1,978
latest reply

Juggling a Rope: Lariat Roping and Spinning Knots and Splices Also The Truth About Tom Horn “King of the Cowboys” By Charles Coe, 1927.

This is a small blue book with the title in gold on the front. Issued without a dust jacket. There are photos of rope tricks, knots, etc. There is also a section on old west lawman Tom Horn who was hanged for murder in 1903. The author contends Horn was innocent. It was popular among Boy Scout troops. I recently sold an ex-library copy for $25.

Message 1825 of 1,978
latest reply

Thanks for the addition to the thread.  A nice BTLLN due to the nondescript, non-jacketed blue cloth cover.  The subtitle would indicate that this is a definite buy, but you wouldn't even notice that unless you took a look at the title page.

Message 1826 of 1,978
latest reply

_________________All books look like something________________________.

Message 1827 of 1,978
latest reply

This thread has always been a wonderful source of money
making info for me i have the books herein on paper

**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Message 1828 of 1,978
latest reply

@obie_juan_cannoli wrote:

For example: Satnrose suggested a Victor Olgyay title. ALL of them are worth picking up at regular FOL or estate sale prices, some will be more profitable than others.

Like he says: If you go fishing, shoot all the fish.

An' wehn you goes swan hunting, shoots all teh swanses!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!

Message 1829 of 1,978
latest reply

This week I finally got a copy of the 1953 Childs Life Magazine, see Item 151162326008.

Yes, a Santa Claus cover by Norman Rockwell. But look closely at the table of contents, under Story Time. The Perfect Present, a one pager by Dr. Seuss, which has never been re-printed.

Message 1830 of 1,978
latest reply