There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

A book that looks like nothing.

sazstuff
Enthusiast
BIG HUGE THANKS to Satnrose for the advice on selling Dragon Sword and Wind Child by Noriko Ogiwara. I would have wimped out and started it at a MUCH lower price but it sold tonight for $199.99! Finally I have a REAL book I can add to this thread. I picked it up for $2.00 at GW. There are very few copies out there and most seem to be ex-library copies. So grab it if you can find it. I checked out a copy from my local library just to see why the asking prices elsewhere were so high. I was afraid to touch my "auction" copy! It's a great young adult read - nicely translated and in some ways like a female Japanese Harry Potter. Again Big Thanks Satnrose - hope the Big Heart brings you lots of chocolate tomorrow!
Message 586 of 1,978
latest reply

vvet696
Enthusiast
here's one to watch out for (i guilted myself to post here after realizing, from a post on another thread, that this was the right place...)

robert klane's "the horse is dead." just try to find a copy for sale anywhere, hardcover or soft. google the author for a fascinating bio.

Message 587 of 1,978
latest reply

Re: Post #440593 from Mar-26-04 by kookidz about THE SHORT-TIMERS by GUSTAV HASFORD

Not sure if anybody addressed this yet, but as most movie buffs are aware, this is the novel from which Stanley Kubrick adapted his 1987 film Full Metal Jacket. Hence, the interest in it. If I'm stating the obvious (or the previously stated), I do apologize. 🙂
Message 588 of 1,978
latest reply

hello, i have a hardback copy, former library, of The Little World Of Don Camillo. 1950. anyone have any luck with this???

thanks!!
Message 589 of 1,978
latest reply

firstthephonebook
Enthusiast
Isn't worth all that much, but I've sold all 3 copies I've found over the last year for $4.99 + $3 shipping: On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors, c. 1979 J. Patrick Wright, about John DeLorean's days at GM.

Sigh.....my dream car - a brushed metal DeLorean with gull wing doors....ahhhhhhh.

Message 590 of 1,978
latest reply

gardenanimal1
Enthusiast
This looks like nothing but what do you think? If Rare counts for anything, this one is something...
This Is South Africa by Ezra and Sima Eliovson, Howard Timmins/Citadel Press Cape Town, 1962, photo book good/fair, yellow cloth, 182 pages. Pages 157-160 are duplicated. I can't find it in Abe's, Ebay or anywhere.
(conservative condition, somebody else might say vg/g)
So is this rare like a Yugo that doesn't smoke, or rare like the Virgin Mary on a piece of toast? TIA GA
Message 591 of 1,978
latest reply

papa575
Enthusiast
I have an awesome 'Book that looks like nothing'. Picked up an Ex-library at the FOL of Harry Harrison's Make Room! Make Room! (the basis for the movie Soylent Green). This particular one is from Doubleday, 1966. The bottom price for an ex-library with DJ on addall or abe is $150. In reasonably decent shape the price is in the $250 ballpark. Not bad for a book lumped in with the rest of the trash...
Message 592 of 1,978
latest reply

kustom-painter
Enthusiast
Stated first edition, March 1967, hardcover of Dynamic Judo Throwing Techniques by Kazuzo Kudo. Rare and out of print. I picked it up for $2 at a flea market and it sold last night for $203. I had only bought it 'cuz I thought someone might be interested in judo instruction. Turns out Kazuzu Kudo was the sole living person who had learned judo directly from the founder of judo. Cool.
Message 593 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose -- A book that looks like nothing, but is very popular on eBay is any book, CD, or tape by Charles Stanley. He is a religious speaker and apparently quite popular. I couldn't believe all the bids on any book, tape, or CD of his.

Isaiah 41:10
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God:
I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Message 594 of 1,978
latest reply

byssheshelley
Enthusiast

tradex
Enthusiast
After lurking for a while I have to say how much I enjoy and appreciate this thread.
Yesterday I found a 1925 "the memoirs of William Jennings Bryan" signed by his wife and co-author in a thrift store. Cost me a whopping 3.95 and although I had heard the name it certainly didn't jump off the shelf at me. Looks to be in the 80.00 to 150.00 range if bookfinder is to be believed. Seems like quite a range, anybody have any suggestions on how to pin it down better?
Message 596 of 1,978
latest reply

sunfuncar
Enthusiast
Oh I got one!!! Skipping village by Lois Lenski bought it for 80 cents & its up to $150 right now!!! I love this thread.
Message 597 of 1,978
latest reply

Hi! I have a book that I need to get some info on. I have looked but cannot find what I am looking for. The book is by Nathaniel Hawthorne and the title is Twice Told Tales. I know they were printed in 1837, 1841, 1851, 1853 among others, but I cannot find a copyright or date on my book anywhere. I have also been unable to find out what year this book was published by the printing company marked in the book which is Chicago GEO. M. Hill Company 166-174 S. Clinton Street. Can someone help me please! That is all there is in the book that gives a clue. There are no pages missing at all. The inside cover says Twice Told Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne Two Volumes in One Chicago GEO. M. Hill Company 166-174 S. Clinton Street. The book is 4 1/4 inches wide and 6 inches tall. The cover is green with flowers and vines on it. I need any info anyone can give me, especially a year.
I appreciate any help!

Here is a picture of the cover...
Book
Message 598 of 1,978
latest reply

auberry44
Enthusiast
I think I have one! I was browsing in the local thrift store. (Books 20 cents each) Found a book of poetry by Eunice Tietjen. Bought it because the inscription insde mentioned State College, PA. When I got home, I realized the inscription was from the author herself, and in that cute 1930's way, she signed her married name (Mrs. Cloyd Head) underneath. I think I may eventually become not just a buyer, but a seller, too. This is fun.
Message 599 of 1,978
latest reply

skipper204
Scout
Vandenberg, Frank, Curly, William B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1947. Very good in good jacket. Sold today on a fixed price site for $40.00 -- listed 3/19. Probably sold too low, but a fast nickle . . . .
Message 600 of 1,978
latest reply