satnrose
Guide
There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

Re: A book that looks like nothing.

AA Books - I know its been mentioned before but its still true.

I'll drink to that. SORRY. Couldn't resist! 🙂

Embroidery book titles sell for good money if you get the right one. I usually just buy up every single embroidery book that I can find, because most of these authors I have never heard of before.

Elly Sienkiewicz is one of those authors. Old Elly hasn't let me down yet. 🙂
Message 541 of 1,978
latest reply

What about needle craft books by Better Homes? I see quite a few but haven't bought any.
Message 542 of 1,978
latest reply

For Mikeb who waffled over and then passed up the "Security Analysis" book at a thrift. Someone once said on one of these posts...if you have to think twice about it...buy it! Go with your internal bookseller who said ..Hmmm, could be interesting....LOL!!! That was the best advice ever!
Message 543 of 1,978
latest reply

greenicle
Enthusiast
A mathematical theory of evidence, by Glenn Shafer, trade paperback. Cost 25 cents, sold for $250 on the river. Other copies currently selling for $100. The more mathematical formulas the better!
Message 544 of 1,978
latest reply

gdette
Enthusiast
Hi, I've found several goodies lately, all of which are a bit older:

Maida's Little Treasure Hunt, by Inez Haynes Irwin. This is one of those children's series books (like Nancy Drew), except Irwin actually wrote each book herself. The treasure hunt book is her last book, (c) 1955, and for some reason, it appears to be scarce. (I always assume the first book by an author is more scarce or rare.) There are two copies on addall for $175 and $275; these have DJs but mine doesnt. However, reading a couple Internet collector sites, even those w/o DJs are sought after. I looked at others in the series and it's hit or miss. Irwin was a feminist writer, if that makes a difference.

The Rhodesian Ridgeback: The Origin, History and Standard of the Breed, by T.C. Hawley. This is a self-published book about a dog whose breed originated in South Africa. I always look twice at any self-published books, and find animal books (especially older ones) not published by the regular publishers are worth investigating. Addall has one copy (NF) of this particular book for $195.

Another recent find (that I posted about a month ago when I found it) is The Big Bender by Charles Clapp Jr. This is a 1938 alcoholism book by a rather famous (or infamous) man in the alcoholism-AA circles. There are two copies on addall right now for $750 (no DJ) and $1000 (DJ and signed). This is by far my best find yet, but I haven't been at this as long as many of the experts here.

Message 545 of 1,978
latest reply

carus_libris
Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for your posts - I too am compiling a "look for" list.

Thought I'd make a contribution here that I don't think I've seen mentioned -

Several of Alice Starmore's knitting books go for decent to very decent prices! My mother told me about this quite a while back. I have yet to "find" any of these anyplace other than ebay or other auction sites.

Here are some examples:

Aran Knitting

Pacific Coast Highway

In The Hebrides

Stillwater

Plus a few others.

If someone gets lucky enough to find a few - please remember me? 😉
Message 546 of 1,978
latest reply

gdette:
The general rule on children's series books is the opposite of what you suppose. The publisher discontinued the series because it was not selling well; therefore, the last book in the series had lower sales, and it was not reprinted. First printings of the first book in a series may be scarce, but the last few in the series are really hard to find and command the highest price.
Message 547 of 1,978
latest reply

alexodesk
Enthusiast
i just bought a first ed of dr seuss's abc for .25 at a goodwill
Message 548 of 1,978
latest reply

alexodesk
Enthusiast
anybody know whether it was a good deal?
Message 549 of 1,978
latest reply

Do people buy books during the holiday season or is it best to wait until the New Year to list more books. Appreciate any suggestions
Message 550 of 1,978
latest reply

alexodesk
Enthusiast

panamretired:
it depends on what prices you are hoping to receive,
though people buy up books faster during the holidays,big collecters dont pay prices that books are worth because during holidays most books go as presents.so i suggest after newyears.

+_+_Mike_+_+
Message 551 of 1,978
latest reply

Dr. Phil's books, at least his weight loss books.
Message 552 of 1,978
latest reply

skipper204
Scout
Finally, I get to add to this thread:

Fallon, Ivan, Billionaire

Apparently any edition. Check out the prices on the fixed price sites. I had three of these. Two I sold at a time when there were no other copies listed. And I sold much too low. The third -- I got the right price.
Message 553 of 1,978
latest reply

let*splaytwo
Enthusiast
I don't think I've seen this book on this thread: Heaven's Prisoners by James Lee Burke. The 1988 First Edition Hardback with DJ is currently selling on eBay for $80.00. Still has a day to go. The listing link is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=377&item=4515698415&rd=1

Anybody know anything about this author? I see lots of his paperbacks but haven't really looked for his hardback editions...yet!
Message 554 of 1,978
latest reply

I have the 1962 edition of Security Analysis. Abebooks lists a copy for $2,000, and many more from $200 to $400. Yet one failed to sell on eBay with a starting bid of $29.99. Is there an explanation for this, or is it just one more example of the "roll of the dice" factor in online selling? Thanks!
Message 555 of 1,978
latest reply