There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

Re: A book that looks like nothing.

satnrose
Guide
A brief introduction to the infinitesimal calculus, designed especially to aid in reading mathematical economics and statistics
By: Irving Fisher
Publisher: New York, London, Macmillan, 1897.

Irving Fisher was an important economist, and many of his books look like nothing but have real value.

Of course, many were reprinted many times, and most of the reprints are no big deal.
Message 526 of 1,978
latest reply

algae_ohio
Enthusiast
Dell 10 cent books - particulary Marihuana by William Irish (pseudonym of Cornell Woolrich). AddAll prices range from $75 - $150.00. There is another in this series that is even harder to find. All were published in 1951 and really do look like nothing - very small, stapled books with lurid paper covers.
Message 527 of 1,978
latest reply

avalonian42
Enthusiast
Susan Minot's "Monkeys" in a first edition hardback -- a tiny little book printed in the mid-80's. I got one at the local Goodwill for $1.50 just beacuse I like Minot, didn't think much of it. Turns out that it's her first book and sells for $40-$70, depending on where you look. 2000% profit, or more? I'll take that.

Except I won't, because the sad part is that I know I could make a quick buck on it but I'm even more reluctant to sell it now that I know what a find I found. I'm so Calvin Tower... *sigh*
Message 528 of 1,978
latest reply

I dont sell a lot of books but I have this one up right now and its surprising me at the interest its generating. I paid a quarter at a yardsale so its a pretty good profit margin. Its the 1969 edition of THe American Quarter Horse In Pictures. Mostly I buy books just because I LOVE all books and cant seem to pass them by...lol
Ruth
Message 529 of 1,978
latest reply

elhumano
Enthusiast
Auction house catalogs? Grisebach?
Message 530 of 1,978
latest reply

elhumano
Enthusiast
I'm sorry. that was missopsted.
Message 531 of 1,978
latest reply

Thank you very much, iainsdad, for compiling the list. Silly me, though. I never skip to the back of the book and spent the morning making my own list before I found yours. 🙂
Message 532 of 1,978
latest reply

davidaweaver
Enthusiast
I have a book at auction right now. It is Madeliene L'Engle's "Ilsa". I didn't know it when I got it. If I'd seen it at a yard sale for $2.00, I'd have passed on by. But I got it at a Library Sale.
The last copy on ebay sold for $150. Several years 2 other copies sold here. One over $800.00, the other was signed and went for just over $400.00 I only found 3 other copies on the net. Might be more, I just didn't find them.
Thought I'd share.
David
Message 533 of 1,978
latest reply

This is a great thread to get you thinking....and looking in the thrift stores!!! A couple months ago, I came across The Ashley Book of Knots. It's copyright was 1940 and it seemed like a good idea for two bucks. I was disappointed when I later found out that this was a reprint from 1993....until I saw that the reprint was going for just as much, or more, than the original. Got $46 for it and am looking for another 🙂
Message 534 of 1,978
latest reply

Here's one that to me looks more like a $30 book than a $305 dollar one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=4503279096&rd=1

Greenberg's Guide to Gilbert Erector Sets Volume 2 1933-1962 by William Bean published in 1998

Anybody remember having an Erector Set?
--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 535 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
I had Erector dysfunction....
Message 536 of 1,978
latest reply

meow-minx
Enthusiast
This is still the greatest thread on the board!

I have recently moved so haven't been here lately, but thought I'd share a few of my recent looks-like-nothing sales:

Sky Soldier by Lawrence D.Okendo, a PB about a man who served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Got it for .25 at a yard sale, sold for $100 online.

The Teacher of Greeting Cards of All Kinds by D. M. Campana, PB, a quarter at a yard sale, sold online for $65.

Through the Eyes of Number Two by Mickey Guidry, about playing backup QB for LSU, 10 cents at a yard sale, sold online for $50.

All those sales came this month, but I'd had the books for much longer. Just goes to show there is a market out there for just about any book if you can wait for it.

Message 537 of 1,978
latest reply

I did not want to "mess-up" this great thread, but I did not know where else to put a thank you to Satnrose and all the other knowledgeable and extremely helpful and generous book boarders.

I sold a 3rd edition of Security Analysis yesterday for a tidy sum. I got it at a thrift store for 25 cents, so it was a good turn around. I would have passed it up and never known - it really does look like nothing.

Thank you very much and Happy December to all.

Sincerely,
Parakeetsforpeace
Message 538 of 1,978
latest reply

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before - I don't have time to reread the entire thread right now - but I got a first edition of L. Ron Hubbard's "Dianetics" from 1950 for almost nothing at a yard sale the other day. It immediately bid up to $20 within a few minutes of my listing it - still got 5 days to go, but I'm hopeful. And judging from what these bidders have bought in the past, it would seem that almost anything L. Ron Hubbard has published in the last 60 years is worth something to Scientologists! Some 1990 Hubbard reference books about grammar and spelling sold to one guy for $256.00.

Thanks to all the posters for their helpful advice! I've learned a lot about finding "nothing" and turning it into something. MBC1963
Message 539 of 1,978
latest reply

Books on Infertility & parenting after infertility.

Blinded by the Right by David Brock

Bushwacked by Molly Ivans

Keep it Simple Stupid by Judge Judy

The American Family Series by Jack Cavanaugh

Any kids book by Eric Carle

Richard Scarry books

Legal Horn Books

AA Books - I know its been mentioned before but its still true.

Nice copies of the Living Bible.

Board Books: Goodnight Moon and anything by the same author, Clifford, Curious George, Runaway Bunny

Large Print Popular Fiction
Message 540 of 1,978
latest reply