satnrose
Guide
There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

A book that looks like nothing.

Re: Gray's Anatomy. I would have thought it was worth something too, but I just saw one on the clearance shelf at Barnes and Nobles. It wasn't very expensive...
Message 16 of 1,978
latest reply

jeff_ramona
Enthusiast
sparrowsnestbooks...one I used in law school was paperback and has long since found its way to the landfill. Oh well!
Message 17 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide

Alcoholics Anonymous

Any printing of the first edition is considered valuable.

Message 18 of 1,978
latest reply

2nd editions of Alcoholics Anonymous are also starting to get up there....
Message 19 of 1,978
latest reply

wam827
Enthusiast
RE: Black's Law Dictionary.

One of the things that makes this book so much in demand, is that genealogists are using it. They often need to look up various legal terms that are mentioned in estate records and land records.
Message 20 of 1,978
latest reply

huasong
Enthusiast
Yes, Ebay is a great market for Black's Law Dictionary. I bought two new copies of the most recent edition at half price from the bookstore and sold here for more than the publisher's price. I dont think the buyers check the price elsewhere.
Another book is The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt . Even the book club edition is in demand
Message 21 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Message 22 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Security Analysis completed search
Message 23 of 1,978
latest reply

Medical transcription books
Message 24 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose Great thread!
Message 25 of 1,978
latest reply

UGH! I let a couple of those sports books go very cheap last summer. I needed to clean out space for a fresh lot of books! Nice to see you posting satnrose!!
Message 26 of 1,978
latest reply

garjay@erinet.com
Enthusiast
satnrose - I came home from a trip to Goodwill a few months ago, read one of your posts on the Book Board about Security Analysis, and remembered that I had just passed by a copy at the Goodwill. Rushed back and picked up a fairly recent copy just sitting there waiting for me. Two books away from it was a paperback copy of Black's Law Dictionary. Both brought over $30 later that week. What beautiful timing that you had just posted about the Security Analysis on the BB ....Just one of the many times I've profited from your posts.....
Message 27 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Message 28 of 1,978
latest reply

Great advice,...and good to see you posting satnrose!
I have had some good book sales, in the several hundred dollar range....but many times they were books that were available on other sites for much less...and were "bid up" beyond my expectations. I think that is less likely to happen now, as so many sniping programs keep people from bidding throughout the week...An 1800's 3 volume History of Ireland was one such set.
Message 29 of 1,978
latest reply

Ooops....I forgot the "looks like nothing" part....Of course, a 3 volume set from the mid 1800's would look pretty good to anyone...My point was that sometimes books go for much higher than expected, given the availability of lower priced copies.
Message 30 of 1,978
latest reply