cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1872 Helen Hunt Jackson Bits of Travel -- BAL Look Up Please

Good Morning

I have a copy of H H Jackson's Bits of Travel.  Dated 1872 on the title page and with Osgood shown as the publisher with the Welch, Bigelow imprint on the verso of the title page and again on the final page.  No illustrations of any sort.

Anyone have the appropriate volume of Bibliography of American Literature for Jackson?  The entry is 10418.  I am not sure that determining the books state will affect value much, but would like to be concise.

Thank your for your time!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: 1872 Helen Hunt Jackson Bits of Travel -- BAL Look Up Please

The BAL states "According to the publisher's records, there were four printings dated 1872."

1.  Jan 23, 1872;  1412 printed by Welch, Bigelow; imprint on copyright page and p. 304;

2.  May 1, 1872;  514 copies printed by W,B; imprint on copyright page and p. 304.

3.  June 7, 187; 1000 copies printed by W,B: imprint on copyright page and p. 304.

4.  August 15, 1872; 825 copies printed by Rand, Avery.

It states there  was a "possible prior publication" in London, 1871.  The editors had not actually seen it but had seen an announcement.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Also accepting any conjecture, disinformation and outright lies 😉

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

rennybooks - Thanks for my morning laugh! 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The BAL states "According to the publisher's records, there were four printings dated 1872."

1.  Jan 23, 1872;  1412 printed by Welch, Bigelow; imprint on copyright page and p. 304;

2.  May 1, 1872;  514 copies printed by W,B; imprint on copyright page and p. 304.

3.  June 7, 187; 1000 copies printed by W,B: imprint on copyright page and p. 304.

4.  August 15, 1872; 825 copies printed by Rand, Avery.

It states there  was a "possible prior publication" in London, 1871.  The editors had not actually seen it but had seen an announcement.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you Jeanpaulbooks!  Exactly what I was looking for.

Not sure that it clears anything up. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

There is an additional point of information that might be useful: the first printing used paper weighing 70 lbs per ream, while the second and third printings used paper weighing 54 lbs per ream (the fourth printing was also 54 lbs per ream). It looks like you would need a first and second/third printing to be able to establish whether one copy is a first printing, i.e., if you could tell the difference in the paper weights.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply