cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side part Barbie going to sell her but her legs are bent slightly hyper extended

Hello, I came across a Side Part Barbie and want to sell her she has a spot of ink on her face.  

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Side part Barbie going to sell her but her legs are bent slightly hyper extended

That photo helps a lot, and it does look factory thatched.  Wait and let's ask for more opinions to be certain.

@mike*jeff and @kathiec, your opinion please?

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Re: Side part Barbie going to sell her but her legs are bent slightly hyper extended

Thank you SO much for your time.  (I pride myself on selling on ebay as it isnt easy.)  I so appreciate this forum wish I would have found this community resource sooner.  I am currently trying to purchase barbie books so listing is a bit easier as I have quite a bit to sell.  I can upload other pictures if anyone wants.  😉

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Am not an expert, but I have a 66 AG (I'm the original owner) and yours does not look like mine! Yours has longer wavier hair, and more of it. Part isnt in the middle like mine either. Examine that side part closely. Is it actually rooted along the part or just combed that way? Will make a big difference! Side parts are very rare.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Going to post another photo.  She has a TON of hair and along her hairline/bang area there is a difference from one side to the other.  The hairline is defienelty indented on the part side.   IMG_0722.jpgIMG_0722.jpg

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Thank you... she has a TON of hair and the plugs I guess you call them are symetrical/all lined up on one side.   However, not on the other side which i just posted pictures of.  

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

It's my opinion that the doll is a sidepart. She has way too much hair for a late 66 AG, and the style is right for a played-with sidepart -- curled under on one side and up on the other. You can't get the softer hair fiber of the 66 AGs to curl up on the side like that. And while all AGs have slightly off-center parts, this part is too far to the side to be a regular AG.

Is there a slight gap behind the bangs where the ribbon would have gone? 

This hair color is rare in sideparts, so this is a great find!.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Wow! What a find!!! On Nov 2 a sidepart AG ( with  original swimsuit and hair band) sold for  over $3400.00!!

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Getting a very strong side part vibe from her.  One thing that sets them apart is the rooting of the bangs.  They're rooted completely separate from the rest of the hair.  Regular AG's have bangs that are made from hair from the part coming down and cut shorter into bangs.  Everything from hair style, color and appearance along with the doll's face and makeup all say side part to me.  (Previously mhalb) 

Jam up and jelly tight

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

@janice5666 wrote:

Wow! What a find!!! On Nov 2 a sidepart AG ( with  original swimsuit and hair band) sold for  over $3400.00!!

That particular doll was pristine and came from the collection of a very well-known collector. She was also high color, which is rare in tan vinyl US-market sideparts. This doll won't sell for anything close to that. There's a brunette sidepart AG in fairly comparable condition that has been listed for $1200 for over a month without getting a bid. That's not to say this doll is not a great find. But like all things vintage Barbie, condition is everything.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Agreed...that doll was absolutely gorgeous. I wasnt bidding but had it on my watch list. What an item is WORTH and what it will sell for  (on ebay anyway) are 2 different things. If the starting bid is too high, no one will bid.

I you want to sell your doll, follow & study some similar ones on ebay, not just the final bid but what the bidding started at.That can be crucial. 

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I totally understand condition and what someone thinks a doll is worth and actually what others are willing to pay for it.  I had done some research which is why I was surprised at first that it was not a side part which of course with more photos and iformation it clearly is.  The doll has a few pin holes in the ankles, the ink spot on the face.  One leg works 3 times and one 2 times, one leg is very tight so I am not sure how much to try to make it move in the hip socket, and there is one spot with less hair in it.  YES the bang area is indented.  Here are a few more pictures with the clothing it had on and such.  I usually do a buy it now sometimes with best offer.  Thanks SO much hard to research when it is hard to find equivilant dolls. IMG_0729.JPGIMG_0729.JPGIMG_0729.JPG

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Yes, adding the photo showing the part made all the difference! 

Nice find, she should do well for you ~ good luck!

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

You can make the doll look better pretty easily. Gently wash her legs with some warm water and dishwashing soap. Don't submerge them, and immediately dry them. In addition to nude shots, include some shots of her in her swimsuit. I would start out with a $1500 BIN with Best Offer. You may have to rethink that if she's not selling, but I think it would be a good place to start.

Or alternatively, you do a straight auction and let her find her own price. Sideparts do that very well. It's one of the searches I follow, and I've yet to see one that didn't end at or above what I thought the doll was worth.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Thank you, I will follow the instruction to wash legs and appreciate it. The one leg is tight at hip and I have moved it just a bit. Would you say just leave it and describe or try to move it?
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

I always use OxyClean powder to soak Barbies clothes. Follow the directions to soak....dont rub.... the fabrics are delicate. It works wonders!!

Message 30 of 32
latest reply