cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Barbie Identification

Hello,  I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I normally collect Barbies from the Vintage and Mod Eras but I came across this doll who I believe to be a "My First Barbie" from the 1980's however, I have spoken with collectors from this era and experts and they have all been stumped because none of them have ever seen a doll with her makeup, and when they found ones with similar makeup, the eyes were much different perhaps she is a country exclusive or prototype? does anyone recognize her? thank you so much again I am not well versed on this era thank you for your help here are some pictures

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Help with Barbie Identification

@condo-2518

Sorry a response took this long.   I am hoping that by now you have been able to figure out who this Barbie is.  Sometimes i wonder if it is all that important, but I did do some digging and I can't come up with a definite answer.   She has the early superstar head mold which in my opinion makes her a 'neat' find and keeper.  I think they are a nice Barbie to add to a collection.   Her eye makeup is cool in that she has so many lower lashes.   Love the eye shadow, lip paint, brows....she's nice.  Many of these dolls from this era had bent arms.  Hers are straight, with PTR hands (palms to the rear).   She was made in the Philippines, but so were many of this generation.   So, with all these 'identifiers', I could not find what I thought an exact match.  Only thing I could not distinguish is whether or not she has a side part or center part in her hair.  Nor can I tell if she has had pigtails.  Almost looks like a side part to me...again just noting this to help identify her, which I still can't.    I think safe to say she is from very late 70's to early  80's;  mid 80's as absolute most recent date she could be just simply by looking at her face.  

You posted very nice pictures and ones that would help identify her.  She's a nice doll with a lovely, lovely example of the Superstar headmold.  Clean her up, re-dress her and enjoy.

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thank you so much for your help! I usually collect the vintage barbies however, when I saw her listed something about her spoke to me. I have a friend who collects superstar and said get her, she seems like she is very special. I have emailed a few Barbie experts, and people who specialize in prototypes, and even Mattel  they each have guesses which are very different from the last, but no one has been able to place her. I did notice a new detail which may help in identification. I removed her head to set her hair in curls as I’m trying to give her a 1980’s look and she had this label on the inside of her neck so I believe the face mold was manufactured in 1976 I wondered if she was a country exclusive like a Japanese midge, or Francie but no one seems to know. the experts were able to verify she is definitely a Barbie and not a clone though. Also yes she has a sidepart

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@condo-2518

1976 for the head...perhaps the year the Superstar head mold was introduced.   I am probably safe to venture a guess this doll is late 70's-early 80's.   Lots were made you want to remember, and trying to find exactly who she is would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.   Far more difficult with these girls than vintage to identify.  Once you get into the 80's, Barbies were being produced in large quantities and soooooo many different regular issue and special issue, etc.  Often the only difference in some dolls was the exact number of eye lashes or how many hi-lights in the eyes, the position of the highlights....way more to have to consider in making an identification.   So, if you continue your quest to find out who she is, take note of how many upper and lower(esp) lashes she has, where the highlights are in her eyes, the eyeshadow color, brow shape, hair part & length (providing she has not had a haircut) , butt markings (country manufacture) and markings inner rim of head.   Note she has palms to rear hands, straight arms,  and focus on those Barbies who came out 1976- ??? 84. 

Oh, and when you finish with her spa treatment and a trip to the boutique for fashion, please post a picture of her.  I would love to see what she looks like.    I agree with your friends...even if a vintage collector, this is a nice addition.   Just summons me with @shirleys809304

THANKS Smiley Happy

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

MalibuBarb.JPGbeautyscret.JPGbarbkimo2.JPG

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Beautiful collection you have there! 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Thank you so so much for your help. I really have faith that one day I will be able to Identify her, with all the great info you gave me. Im new to collecting, I have only been collecting the barbies since July. I had some when I was a kid but I am not sure where they ever went, so Im still learning also, I began to fix up my Unidentified 80's Barbie so I tried to make her hair look like a 1980's Perm as many people (Including My Mother) had back in the day although they may deny it! Lol. I found this dress lying around, and I thought I would just put her in it to have something, but now its sort of growing on me. I think the shoulder pads compliment the perm nicely, and make her look like she came right out of a time machine, (or my mothers closet) here are a few pictures, some with flash, some without showing her new style with the rest of my collection, minus my Japanese Exclusive "new" Midge who is being treated for the dreaded green ear, you may see her body, and dress on the side but her head is currently in a CLR bath. I apologize I am currently in the process of fixing up a new display area for my collection, hence they are in that strange spot and, many of them do not have the accessories that go with their outfits, since I have them stowed away so they do not get lost in the rearranging. Hopefully this week I will have a new display case I have the area all set up for them! 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I like her!!  Well done and I think she looks great in that dress even if it is a bit before her time..still...I think it is her dress nowSmiley Wink

Oh my, you have some nice dolls in your collection so far!  The #3 PT is fabulous!  Marlo Thomas Barbie, nice!  A #4 too right?  Japanese Skipper...a pretty Bubble Cut and one running away!! LOL..she is camera shy is all. 

Nice Dinner at Eight, and I love Golden Elegance!   For having just started, you have some nice dolls and their hair is so shiny!  Good job!   Word to the wise....be careful.  Barbie is addictive and watch out that you don't get such a huge collection you have no time for individual time with each doll.   I have seen some very nice collections of 25-50 dolls.  I have seen some well over a thousand or more.   Be picky, frugal at the same time and have fun!  Fixer-uppers always had an appeal to me. 

Congrats on your new hobby Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

My fave photos are, from the top, the first and third.  Lights on them make them sizzle!!    Thank you for sharing with me.

Have a good night.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Thank you! so much yes, the camera shy girl is my poor JE Midge in the picture that was only her body, because, I removed her head to treat her for green ear here is two pictures of her in her green dress with Skipper. I plan on getting her restored as she has had some rough years, yes the Brunette ponytail is a no 4. Oh and I know I keep getting the urge to buy more dolls, but my bank account after the holidays is telling me otherwise! Lol its definitely an addiction. When I first got my Marlo she had the most beautiful hair, I am very careful with my collection and only touch them with gloves, have them on safe stands and spaces, etc but her hair seems to have deflated it doesn't look as full, or bouncy anymore when I asked another collector they asked me where I live, and I told them, they said because I live right on the ocean, in a coastal community its likely the salt water air taking away the fullness. I know this happens to my hair too do you know if there is anyway to prevent this? thats a photo of when I first got her. Her hair is still pretty, and in its flip but its much less full looking thank you again for all your help! and we should have a barbie support group like a counselling service to keep us from buying too much! Lol

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Oh I love your Midge!!  Awesome.   Beautiful photo with both Midge and Skipper together!   So far, you have a great start on a vintage collection.  I don't know what you can do for your doll hair due to living so near the ocean.   Oh my, you do handle your dolls with kit gloves.   The other enemy of dolls like these is sunlight and dust!   Even if in a cabinet, they will collect dust.   I'm supposing there are more efficient types of cabinets to protect these dolls.  My gals are stuck with open shelving at best.  I have them out for a breather, and then rotate them back into their bins.  This is not best I know, but I do wrap them in white acid free paper.   I have 3 Barbies who get the greasy face.  I have been told to gently remove the head and fill with baking soda. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Couldn't finish my post to you.  Anyway, I have not tried the baking soda trick as i don't like removing vintage heads for fear of neck tear.  I hear it works though in preventing the grease/oil from surfacing to face.  Needs to be changed/cleaned out once a year or so.  

Thanks  for posting your beauties! 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Midge&Ken.JPGHairFair.JPG

Here is my no-freckles Midge and Ken.  Had to re-flock him...looks as though he has some long hairs sticking out. LOL.   I used Barbie hair that I had cut extremely short.

I think Mattel does a great job on the Mod repros.....genuine is on left for comparison.  I just love that dress.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Thank you I googled what to do with regular hair, and it said to use something that removes weight so I used a somewhat abrasive stripping shampoo but it seemed to work and make my twists hair bouncy! 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Beautiful pictures! You have such a wonderful collection . I also thought they did a pretty good job with the reproductions! Also, I just saw your post about being nervous about removing your vintage dolls heads, I find it is actually easier to remove the vintage barbies heads than the modern ones. I recommend running the head and neck under hot water, it temporarily makes the vinyl soft and expand and it slips right off. I hear fashion queens have the most difficult heads to remove of vintage barbies, but I have had no issues removing the heads of the dolls in my collection. hope this helps! And thank you for your kind words! 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply