cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me figure out this Barbie outfit with Oriental characters -- a foreign exclusive?

Hello -- can anyone help me figure this out?  I found this outfit in a Barbie lot I bought on eBay last year.  I know it must be from the late 1979's or the early 80's, because it has "A Genuine Barbie Fashion" label on it, and those were the years this label was used.   But it's unusual in that it has Oriental character writing on it.  I don't know whether it's Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Korean, or what.  I just want to know whether it was part of the regular Mattel Barbie clothing line, or a Mattel foreign exclusive.  I've read about the Mattel foreign exclusives from earlier years but I haven't heard about any in the late 70's or early 80's.  For instance, there was a Mattel-licensed factory in Mexico (CIPSA) that produced dolls that were sold only in Mexico, to Mexican buyers, and I think clothing too.  Could this be something like that, but in a different country?

If it was part of the regular Mattel Barbie clothing line, what year was it made?  Did it have a name?

Here are some snapshots I took awhile ago.  Sorry the pics are not great.  The green is a dark kelly green or forest green -- it looks more like teal  in these pics, but it's really dark green.  The vest is a nice thick fabric, slightly shimmery, like thick silk.   It comes with a khaki-colored vinyl belt, in the original wrapper, and a pair of white tennis shoes.  DSCN1100 (2).JPGDSCN1106 (2).JPGDSCN1109 (3).JPGDSCN1111.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Help me figure out this Barbie outfit with Oriental characters -- a foreign exclusive?

5 REPLIES 5

I forgot to mention -- it is a shorts suit. I guess that is what it's called. Like a jumpsuit, but with shorts instead of pants. It looks like a long blouse in the photo -- but these are shorts.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It's Fancy Fashions #2874 from 1986.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stundika/13039002845/

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The same fabric was used for both Barbie and Ken in the Twice As Nice line.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131278/8631449724/

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for this!! I had looked on the Mattel website where many of the 70's and 80's outfits are shown, and didn't see it there. But I guess they don't list everything!

I'm going to check and see what else that poster on Flickr has posted -- maybe it will help me I.D. some of the other 80's clothes I have.

Thanks again for your help!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Wow.  Actually a nice piece and seems to have been sewn nicely.  Congrats on your find!.  I had never seen it before.  Always something to learn in Barbie's world. 

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 6 of 6
latest reply