cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barbie Glamour dress doesn't fit my Barbies.

Hi,

I bought a newer gown, "Glamour" gown but it doesn't fit any of my vintage type Barbies. I bought a nude American Girl Repro, and this gown really caught my eye for her.  But it's too small, same w/TNT and a 70s Quick Curl.  It fits Francie but it's a little long. Now I'm wondering if I should stop looking at the newer clothes.  Or could it be I just got a dud?  Does Fashion Avenue fit the vintage TNT dolls?  TIA for advice. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Since about 2000 Mattel has introduced a number of new body molds for Barbie. So Barbie clothes really haven't been interchangeable for years. The Silkstone body is probably closest to the vintage and classic 1966 TNT bodies, but some Silkstone clothes will be a bit tight. The Model Muse body was introduced around 2004. It's much thinner than vintage, with a smaller bustline, so clothes that fit Model Muse seldom fit vintage. And a few years ago Mattel expanded the diversity of body types with a petite body, a full figured body and a tall body, making fit even more problematic.

The best advice if you're looking for clothes to fit vintage is to stick with clothing made before 2000. Fashion Avenue typically fits both SL and TNT vintage. Barbie Fashion Model Collection (BFMC) clothes also usually fit vintage, although steer clear of tight-fitting pieces. Beyond that, a lot of newer clothes will state which body they fit. In lieu of that, it's really just trial and error.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Regular Barbies are about 10-11 inches tall and are hard plastic with a very slim body.

AG dolls are about 18 inches tall and are fiber filled, so soft-bodied.

Are you saying there is a Barbie that is labeled AG repro?

Hope you will find your answer from a Barbie expert here.  

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Since about 2000 Mattel has introduced a number of new body molds for Barbie. So Barbie clothes really haven't been interchangeable for years. The Silkstone body is probably closest to the vintage and classic 1966 TNT bodies, but some Silkstone clothes will be a bit tight. The Model Muse body was introduced around 2004. It's much thinner than vintage, with a smaller bustline, so clothes that fit Model Muse seldom fit vintage. And a few years ago Mattel expanded the diversity of body types with a petite body, a full figured body and a tall body, making fit even more problematic.

The best advice if you're looking for clothes to fit vintage is to stick with clothing made before 2000. Fashion Avenue typically fits both SL and TNT vintage. Barbie Fashion Model Collection (BFMC) clothes also usually fit vintage, although steer clear of tight-fitting pieces. Beyond that, a lot of newer clothes will state which body they fit. In lieu of that, it's really just trial and error.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Regular Barbies are about 10-11 inches tall and are hard plastic with a very slim body.

AG dolls are about 18 inches tall and are fiber filled, so soft-bodied.

Are you saying there is a Barbie that is labeled AG repro?

Hope you will find your answer from a Barbie expert here.  

@soh.maryl 

American Girl in the world of Barbie refers to dolls made in 1965 and 66 that had a page boy hairstyle. It's a collectors' term and was never used by Mattel. It has nothing to do with modern American Girl dolls.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you so much for that detailed info.  I'll def be more careful buying newer outfits. Nice to hear Fashion Ave fits.  There are some really nice ones. Thanks again. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I still have my 1965 AG Barbie!

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@glorybells 

Childhood Barbies are the best! I still have all four of my childhood dolls. But I stopped playing with Barbie just about the time the AGs came out. As an adult collector, though, the AGs are my favorites!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply