cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1960s Skipper with trademark symbol that does not have the ©

Everywhere I've looked and read, I see that 1960 Skippers have trademarks that include the copyright symbol ©.  I have one that just reads: 1963 MATTEL, INC.  Anyone have more information about this they could share?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you look at first few letters of Mattel they seem to be more worn than the last few and the Inc. To me that just reinforces that copyright symbol is worn off. You have to remember that butt marks are the legal declaration of the body mold's trademark. It's inconceivable that Mattel would have a mold where that legal declaration was incomplete.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Most of the time when you find an incomplete butt mark it's because part of it has simply worn away. I have several Barbies that have incomplete marks. There would be no purpose to a butt mark without either a copyright or TM symbol, and there is no documentation of Mattel having ever used one.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks @kathiec!  I do understand your point and it did occur to me as well, that it was worn off, except the the rest of the marking is so very prominent, and there is no trace of the ©.  It's odd.  Just thought I'd see if anyone else had come across this.  I very much appreciate your help.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I'd be interested in seeing a pic. Not into Barbie's but this is an intriguing discussion.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Here is a picture.  I'm curious what you think?

20220804_142303.jpg

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If you look at first few letters of Mattel they seem to be more worn than the last few and the Inc. To me that just reinforces that copyright symbol is worn off. You have to remember that butt marks are the legal declaration of the body mold's trademark. It's inconceivable that Mattel would have a mold where that legal declaration was incomplete.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply