cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay changed my chosen shipping method and cost. Why?

I just sold an item that I had planned to ship in a padded, flat-rate, USPS padded envelope. I see, though, that the buyer was charged, and paid, $15.70. I double-checked my listing and it does say $8.95 shipping there. I don’t know why the buyer was charged more.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: eBay changed my chosen shipping method and cost. Why?

@gator08041971 wrote:

@*lady*madonna* 

I have tested to the farthest cites.  All came back to the same price.  10.60, flat rate bubble mailer.

Then for giggles I did a test from LA to NY.  Same price.

Where are you getting a price difference at?  This is for a flat rate based Priority bubble mailer.  They are currently 10.60 domestic.

I went to the listing page, entered in a random New York zip code and saw the shipping charge of $15.70.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@gator08041971 

@bayspud 

This is the screenshot showing the shipping charge:

Screenshot (89).png

*lady*madonna*

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

This has nothing to do with USPS rates.

In the OP, @bayspud asked why they saw $8.95 shipping charge when they looked at the listing and the buyer saw $15.70.

Location, location, location. 😉

*lady*madonna*

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@*lady*madonna* 

@bayspud 

They are right.

You have your listing set as USPS GA, NOT Priority Flat rate.   So it calculates the 15.70 based on location as mentioned.  Problem is, this wasn't pointed out till this post.

My mistake was that I didn't pull up your sold listings and actually look at it.

I was totally wrong.  Your listing is charging the buyer more because it was not set to use the flat rate, but a calculated USPS Ground Advantage.

@*lady*madonna* 

My apologies.  But I didn't know you were looking at the listing either.  lol

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I don’t think you understand. With USPS flat rate boxes and envelopes, whatever you can fit into that box or envelope will ship for one set price, no matter where in the US the package or envelope is being shipped to.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@bayspud 

Look at your sold listing again:

gator08041971_0-1713401361118.png

What do you see for the shipping option?   USPS Ground Advantage.  This is what the buyer sees.

If I had caught this 10 posts ago, we wouldn't still be here.  lol

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Phooey. There must have been a box somewhere that I should have checked that I missed.

My main listing page shows the flat rate price I intended to charge, but further down I do see that although it shows the shipping price I meant to charge it indicates “Ground Advantage” rather than “Flat Rate” as the service. I will look for that next time I list something. 

The buyer is okay with the higher shipping; I was just trying to look out for them and make sure that, somehow, the shipping didn’t get increased when it shouldn’t have. Thank you, Gator, I appreciate your help in solving the mystery!

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@bayspud wrote:

I don’t think you understand. With USPS flat rate boxes and envelopes, whatever you can fit into that box or envelope will ship for one set price, no matter where in the US the package or envelope is being shipped to.

@bayspud 

But you did not list the item as flat rate box/envelope, you chose USPS Ground Advantage in the listing, so that is based on buyer location as I stated in post #2.

*lady*madonna*

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

The mystery has been solved. Thank you.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@bayspud 

Is the item that you want to ship via padded enveloper that cast iron pan????

Your listing states Ground Advantage, so that is the service the buyer purchased.  The buyer was apparently willing to pay that price, or they would have contacted you for a discount.

To ship to Monterey CA via Ground Advantage is $8.95

To ship to New York via Ground Advantage is $15.70

If you wanted to upgrade to a Priority flat rate padded envelope (which I would do in a heartbeat), the price would be under $9.  If you would like to upgrade and issue a $6 refund, I'm sure the buyer would be thrilled with the upgrade and even more thrilled with a partial refund.

Now, about that pan....

Be sure that you wrap it in tightly in cardboard or bubbles to prevent it from shifting around and clobbering neighboring packages or beating its way out of the padded bag. Loose cannons like that are notorious fighters that can destroy almost anything unless you put boxing gloves on them.  😄

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

It is a very small cast iron pan. Thanks, everyone, for your input. I think we’re done here.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

p.s. FYI, apparently postage rates have very recently increased. The postage for a padded flat rate envelope is now $10.60. Thanks again.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply