cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To ship or not? ...

I'm selling used John Deere garden tractor parts.  "Condition" is 'used' and I try my best to describe any issues with an item in the description in the listing.  I'm offering 1-day handling and do very well getting stuff shipped out quickly and on-time.   When time permits (usually over the weekend), I'll message and/or call a buyer to ask if he's aware of any issue I described in the description.  I want to avoid an unsatisfied buyer and/or any return issues because he didn't read the description.  If I can't contact or get any response, what's best course to follow?  I want to ship, 'cause I've got 1-day handling.  I don't want to arbitrarily cancel.  And I don't want an unwarranted return issue.  Would ebay support me in a "not as described" case when I did describe and made multiple attempts to contact the buyer?  Suggestions on how to proceed?  Thanks ...

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: To ship or not? ...

No need to contact the buyer.  Just ship within your handling time.  You can enclose a note to contact you if there are any problems.  No news is good news.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

... and what happens when they complain about the issue I described and now want me to pay for return?  What if they file a "not as described" issue that will wreck my seller rating and potentially increase my FV fees?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

These are humans.  You cannot cut off bad behavior by calling them first.  People will do and say what they want.

I think you are spending way too much energy on this.   Not as described isn't tragic, bad feedback isn't going to kill you.

Be brutally honest and do the job you promised to do and it should all work out.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

OK, I've got a complaint.

Too much useless verbiage.  I don't care how you got it- I know eBay's payment policy, so I don't need to know yours too-

How many lines was that and how many of those lines actually talked about the item?  One?  One tiny insignificant line-are they new?  Are they in good shape?  How big are they?  WHAT COLOR?  Answer my questions so I will buy, don't leave me hanging and looking at other sellers to find what you sell.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I saw in the listing under description "sold as-is".

This does nothing for you if a buyer has complaints. In fact, it works against you. You show that you don't know the rules.

Rules for sellers are here: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handling-return-requests?id=4115

Good luck.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Don't expect to cut off bad behavior, but some buyers are honest, admit they didn't read the description, and ask if I can cancel the transaction ... better than paying for shipping to & from and possibly getting a 'not as described' case.  And I'm just a small time, part time seller here ... it's tragic to me if an unjustified 'not as described' case means I'm not a "Top Rated" seller and I'm paying extra FV fees for months until a defect "rolls off" the back end of my last 12 months.  I try to be honest with any issues in my descriptions ... trying to contact buyers when possible so that neither buyer or myself have a bad experience ... 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Is this in response to a different posting?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the reply ... I've got a lot of older listings with "sold as-is" on there.  I know it's pretty much pointless and that ebay always sides with a buyer having a complaint.  I didn't know that was against the rules.  Is there an easy way to search and remove without having to do one at a time?  Thanks.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@wader1914 

Good descriptions and photos will cut down on a lot of returns.

The first listing I looked is for some spindles. Your pictures show two spindles and a mower deck.

If you're selling the spindles by each one, show one if them in the photo.

Your description doesn't mention anything about the condition of the items. Looks like there is some rust and rough spots, but nothing mentioned in the description about it.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

No he is talking about your listings 

FYI you do not accept PayPal. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Ok, my bad ... didn't realize you were referring to the rest of my description.  Most of it is old from when I started years ago ... don't suppose there's an easy way to edit/remove that in bulk for a couple thousand listings?  I do want to include certain information/history on a tractor ... some buyers want to know how many hours, for example, on an item.  I see what you're getting at though and appreciate the suggestion(s) ... Thx.

To "Ken", thanks for the feedback ... been working on removing pics of multiple items.  I hadn't worried much about describing what could be seen in photos unless something might affect the functionality of an item ... will try to improve that ... thanks.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

All your listings have "sold as-is". You can search in the description too. See the link how.

https://www.ebay.com/dsc/m.html?_ssn=wader1914&_armrs=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_nkw=sold+...

I don't know how to remove them all at once.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply