cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative feedback protection from ebay

I thought ebay was protecting sellers from fake negative feedback? I have 1 that is from a buyer stating the item wasn't received and it was confirmed delivered by usps. But I cant get it removed? I have another with a person claiming a product doesn't work that I have sold over 1000 of and gotten positive feedback on all of them except this one person proving it isn't defective. Those are just a couple examples of false feedback we have received and cant get removed. If we offer 30 day free returns, answer all of our customers questions and give a full refund even if they just don't like the product why can they leave negative feedback and never try to return the product? Any legitimate buyer will want a return for a defective product not keep it and leave negative feedback. That's just scammers trying to get a partial refund or free products by blackmailing sellers with negative feedback. One customer even claimed he got the item and it wasn't as described then left feedback saying it was never delivered and we scammed him. It was confirmed delivered by tracking and he admitted he got the product. Then lied and said it wasn't delivered but is still allowed to leave negative feedback that ebay won't remove. Another one had 12 108mp pictures and measurements provided in the title and description and they claimed the pictures were deceiving and that it was not as described. The item sent was the exact item listed because their was only 1 and the customer never tried to return the item. I'm not sure what more we can do then offer a full refund and free return labels for all of our products up to 30 days after purchase.

As a seller I feel like that should protect my store from negative feedback. A customer should be required to request a return for any not as described or they shouldn't be able to leave negative feedback.  And as long as the seller stands by the return policy stated in their listings the buyer should not be allowed to hurt the sellers feedback score. The truth is you can send the same item to 100 people and one will always say its defective on ebay. This isn't because the item is defective they just want a partial or full refund and to keep the product. No buyer on ebay should be allowed to keep a product and leave negative feedback. They should be required to start a return if attempting to and if they get a free label and a refund then no negative feedback should be allowed to be posted. The sellers feedback about his personal performance and the listing items feedback should be separated. That would allow for the items to have individual performance ratings and will protect the sellers person from negative feedback as long as they fulfill the return policy if requested by the customer, answer customers questions and provide quality customer service. The way it is setup now is costing good sellers sales and allowing scammers and other sellers to sabotage quality retailers. If i can purchase a item, return it, get a full refund and leave negative feedback I could use this to bury my competitions listings in the search and never cost me a dime. But i would cost the seller a significant amount of money for shipping and returns. Then on top of it eventually take away their top rated seller status based on having a negative feedback score costing them even more money. Eventually after 3,000 purchases costing the seller about $20,000 in shipping and 3,000 negative feedbacks they will no longer be competition. This is why if a seller offers free returns and refunds the customer shouldn't be able to leave negative feedback. The customer already costs the seller shipping and return shipping and then gets to tear apart the sellers reputation that did exactly what they stated they would do in their return policy. I don't understand the point in offering free returns if the buyer can leave negative feedback anyway and we have to rund promoted listings to get our items seen. Now we can just buy our way to the top of the search so the feedback essentially doesn't even matter anymore. Customers now see what's most profitable for ebay to sell in search not the best items that match the search criteria. A seller can have a positive feedback score of 1% and still be first in search. Free returns are costing sellers lots of money and they get no feedback protection by offering it and it doesn't effect anything but organic sales which are about 5% of my total sales now at 99.3% positive feedback, top rated seller status and free 30 day returns. It will cost me 1% more in ebay fees but will save my store at minimum 5,000 dollars a year by not providing free return labels to customers. I just can't see any positive reasons to provide free returns to customers besides wanting to be a good seller. But that just doesn't seem like a good enough reason to spend so much money offering free returns. In the end ill be able to say I went broke by being a good seller and provided every scammer on ebay with free merchandise. All im asking for is ebay to be fair about feedback and remove the ones that are obvious scammers and lies. Even though it says we are protected from it by ebay seller protection the truth is I have  negative feedback right now on my profile that is covered by the protection policy but ebay won't remove it even after several attempts to have it removed. Maybe I'm just frustrated and annoyed but I have a feeling other good sellers feel the same way. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Negative feedback protection from ebay

@jaad_6732 

I will admit I did not read your entire post, but I think I got the gist.

Do you ever send you disgruntled buyers a Feedback Revision Request after you have resolved the issue?

Ebay can't protect sellers from negative feedback.

Also since your negative feedbacks are over 30 days old, they cannot be revised or removed.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Negative feedback protection from ebay

Ebay actually offers seller protection against negative feedback in the ebay selling policies. But the problem is there not removing feedback that clearly breaks the policies put in place to protect us from scammers and false feedback. I don't want any special treatment just for ebay to follow their own policies they write and are supposed to enforce. But all of the negative feedback was reported and a revision requested within the 30 day limit. And just a heads up ebay can remove any feedback that doesn't follow policy at any time no matter when it was left. Sellers just only have 30 days to request a revision. I know for sure from experience that ebay can do anything they really want to no matter what the reps have told you. I have had reps just make things up like the time they told me it was my fault the labels wouldn't print after purchase because bulk printing can only print 5 at a time. I print 10 minimum a day and have purchased and printed over 50 at once. I call shenanigans lol.  

Message 3 of 3
latest reply