cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was in an auction for a vehicle four months ago that Ebay found to be fraud and stopped the ad.

I was the highest bidder when Ebay closed the sellers fraudulent account and now the vehicle remains on my purchase history as unpaid. Eleven calls talking to a real person and they always say they will take action to remove. Their investigative department has all the information on the seller. What can be done? Close my account?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: I was in an auction for a vehicle four months ago that Ebay found to be fraud and stopped the ad

@sooner32ford1 

Intended to mention earlier, but I guess I saw something shiny and got distracted.  Those restorations you posted are amazing.  Every one is a drop dead gorgeous vehicle.  I had to pick a favorite, and it's the 55 Thunderbird.  I think it's a 55 ... I think the 56 had a round reflector at the top of the taillights. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: I was in an auction for a vehicle four months ago that Ebay found to be fraud and stopped the ad

@sooner32ford1 

< vehicle remains on my purchase history as unpaid >    

As a practical matter, I can't imagine any consequences of this.  Vehicle sales are non-binding in the first place; either party can simply walk away from the deal. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

That I know, but when I open my Ebay account page, There is this vehicle picture with UNPAID NEED TO REPLY pasted on it. There no longer is an item number to be found in all of Ebay's database (though I have the original number). My account has always been 100% for three decades, it still is but this is like getting a past due notice when something has been long paid.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Hi @sooner32ford1   The wrong emotions seem to be at play here.  You're feeling frustrated and annoyed at a notice of no consequence in your My eBay, when it seem like you should be grateful to eBay for saving you from a fraudulent transaction in which you could have lost thousands of dollars.   The pay notice will age off.  Good luck! 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

No, Ebay continues to allow an enormous amount of fraud auctions on their Ebay Motors. My bank is the one that held up a wire transfer because things did not add up. When I conveyed this to Ebay, only then did they take action. I located the real seller and car almost 2000 miles from the crook and informed him as well. It is so easy but Ebay does not do this one simple test; send one of the ad photos to Google Images and you see who really owns the vehicle and even if it is for sale. Since then, I have sent 17 photo ads to Ebay and they have rightfully closed that many accounts do to fraudulent activity. There are a few other tale signs that seek out these ads, only wish Ebay would be more vigilant and on taking peoples money just to list a car whether it is theirs or not. My bank saved me from Ebay and one past seller. A few minutes of checking on my part has now revealed a multitude of others. Until Ebay does more on their listing policies of vehicles a person must do their research before bidding - you are on your own.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Hi @sooner32ford1  You paid for a vehicle, sight unseen, by wire transfer?  Wow, you're lucky somebody caught that.  Good job reporting other fraudulent listings and saving others.  Again, good luck!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I am a business that purchases and restores Gen I Camaros, so project cars with over 50 photos is sufficient to make a purchase for that type of vehicle, physical sight unseen. We average 7 of these per year for the last 14 years. Never bought one off Ebay but wanted this project car, my bank of 42 years in making these purchases of vehicles said the address and individual did not add up, so purchase never made. Just want to get that car photo with need to pay sign out of my sight.  Never lucky, never been scammed, but this one was close. These are how our projects turn out - Buy them, have them delivered, and do the work. IMG_20170118_130547.jpgIMG_20170118_131419.jpgIMG_20211118_162117418.jpgIMG_20211212_120243239.jpg1932 Ford.JPGDSC05070.JPGIMG_0235.JPGIMG_2287.JPGIMG_20190701_115219.jpgDSC02079.JPG65 ss.jpg94.JPGIMG_20180709_152632.jpgIMG_20180709_152759.jpgIMG_20180709_152853.jpg

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@sooner32ford1 

< Just want to get that car photo with need to pay sign out of my sight >    

That's easy enough, if the listing is on your Purchase History page.  Find the listing on the PH page, and click the More Actions button.  Then click Hide Order.  That gets it out of your sight.  

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

No Hide button on that item on the PH page. Hide only available on Summary for an offer or offers given.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@sooner32ford1 

< No Hide button on that item on the PH page >    

I don't have any unpaid item so I can't make a comparison check of my own purchase history.  Is there a More Actions button?  The Hide Order link is in a drop down menu under the More Actions button. 

I'm running out of ideas.  By this time, usually somebody has suggested that you contact Customer Service through one of the social media.  Those agents are better than the outsourced agents in the Philippine Islands.  It's worth a try.  If you do, be sure that it's a private message you send.  The following links I copied from a reply that mudshark left in a different thread.  

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@sooner32ford1 

@gosimus wrote: 

I don't have any unpaid item so I can't make a comparison check of my own purchase history.  

But I do now.  I just bought and paid for an item, and immediately went to my Purchase History to check this.  The payment hadn't been processed yet, and the item still said Unpaid.  I clicked the More Actions button, and voilà the Hide Order link was on the drop down.  Is it fair to conclude that you weren't able to find the Hide Order link because you tried to do it without following my instructions? 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

No, as mentioned, there is no Hide order drop down button for that item. I do not have any unpaid items so cannot compare the difference. Customer service agent told me yesterday they put in a third order for IT to resolve and would be done within the hour, but that was yesterday and voila, still not resolved. Maybe next year? For this reason, we have held off buying any vehicle from Ebay Motors. Did buy another nice one this morning from Bring A Trailer auction (1969 Camaro).

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@sooner32ford1 

Intended to mention earlier, but I guess I saw something shiny and got distracted.  Those restorations you posted are amazing.  Every one is a drop dead gorgeous vehicle.  I had to pick a favorite, and it's the 55 Thunderbird.  I think it's a 55 ... I think the 56 had a round reflector at the top of the taillights. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

thank you. Everything I build is driven across country as we do not own a trailer. We are on the border in El Paso TX and a 74 year old couple flew down and drove the T-bird back to Kansas.DSC05022.JPGDSC05067.JPGDSC05125.JPGDSC05142.JPGDSC05151.JPG

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Here it is with hard top on and ready for the road.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply