cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidding question

Can you have the highest bid and still lose? I see that the item I was bidding on has been relisted.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Bidding question

In the case of a tie, the earlier bidder is considered the winner.

If the auction has a reserve that is not met, there is no winner.

In some cases it is possible for the seller to cancel bids and end the auction, but the seller is supposed to sell to the highest bidder, though eBay cannot actually force the seller to do so. eBay may require the seller to pay the eBay fees for such a transaction based on the canceled high bid amount.

If you are asking about a particular auction, what is the item number?

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Bidding question

It also could be that the seller had duplicates to sell.  That there is a relist doesn't mean that you didn't win and that the seller is not awaiting your payment.

How do you know you had the highest bid?  Did you look at the bid history after the auction ended, and if so was your bid at the very top of the list?  Even if you watched the countdown a bid received in the final seconds might not have been reflected on it, even on what appears to be a final result you get when the clock gets to 0 (always refresh the page after a few seconds before relying on the result).

Have you paid?  If not (and you have 4 days to do so before the seller can cancel for non-payment, putting a strike on your account)  check the status of the order in your My eBay: Purchase History (and if it's there awaiting payment, use the Pay Now link to pay).  If it's not there look in My eBay: Bids/Offers: Didn't Win.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply