eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

sirwesf
Community Member

New Performance Standards

What is up with this threating message titled New Performance Standards from ebay?

The message starts with "those sellers most responsible for keeping buyers on eBay."

It is not my job to keep sellers on Ebay that is Ebay's job.

I read a story about a mother and son that stole over half a million in merchandice from Walmart and sold it all on Ebay.  I am sure THEY made buyers happy.  And I am sure they made Ebay happy until they went to jail.  It's as if ebay is setting up a situation where the ONLY sellers they want are those that have stolen goods since they will buyers happy.

However, in the real world a marketplace only works if it works for both buyers and sellers.  Ebay needs to attract more buyers by spending a little money marketing on google and fb.  I have noticed that my sale take a huge spike on the last day of the month.  Obviously, ebay can control traffic flow when it is the last day of the month (and fees are due in days).

In forteen years I have had two negative feedbacks and both were the buyer just not reading or understand what "for parts only" stated 7 times means.  Ebays message says my defect rate is over 2%.

If a buyer has an issue, I always fix it including a full refund.  I just had a buyer buy a Batik hand block printed shirt.  The shirt was perfect.  When the buyer got the shirt they called ebay (not me) and opened a case.  Their complaint was that the shirt had light spots on it.  I explained that the charm of a Batik hand block printed shirt is that it has color variation but the could refund it for a full refund.

Another issue I have after 14 years is fewer and fewer buyers leave feedback.  Every factory sealed brand new item I sell I know I will not get feedback.

18704d
Community Member

Re: New Performance Standards

in reply to sirwesf

What is up with this threating message titled New Performance Standards from ebay?

The message starts with "those sellers most responsible for keeping buyers on eBay."

-------------

If you owned a restaurant, who would you retain:

Waiters who ensure customers return ... or those who don't?

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

mr.elmwood
Community Member

in reply to 18704d

18704d wrote:

-------------

Lynn

What Lynn says

volvo351
Community Member

in reply to sirwesf

"Ebay's message says my defect[sic] rate is over 2%."

They're counting returns that may be nothing worse than Buyer's Remorse as 'defects.'   Seller has no control over that.  Show me a B&M retail outlet that doesn't have a return rate higher than ONE OUT OF FIFTY!

volvo351
Community Member

in reply to 18704d

BIG difference here and one you just didn't grasp.  Those "waiters"  [now called "servers" under the new PC regime] are direct EMPLOYEES of the restaurant,  and are paid an HOURLY WAGE that's guaranteed under LAW, in addition to their tips, for all hours worked until the time they're fired. 

Are YOU an employee of The Ho?  Is eBay paying YOU, or are YOU paying eBay fees?   When a buyer comes here isn't he under some obligation to perform Due Diligence in deciding whom to purchase from?  Or, do you simply buy at random, relying on JD to "guarantee" the outcome?   Believe me, that is NOT the business model that Pierre created. 

There is still a system in place here where you save your "favorite sellers."  Note that's "sellers" PLURAL.  eBay is ONE entity - that would be "A" seller, singular.  It's clear that The Ho wants to take all the CREDIT for a sale, 15% or MORE of the GROSS, including shipping on which you LOSE money, have you do ALL the work, finance the inventory,  and take ALL risk while he assumes NONE.  That is not an employer/employee relationship; it's exploitation, pure and simple. 

18704d
Community Member

in reply to volvo351

Didn't say it had anything to do with employment.

The primary focus is retention of 'those' who make you money.

and I do believe... that somehow.. eBay feels that buyers make them (eBay) money......

Lynn

18704d
Community Member

in reply to volvo351

When a buyer comes here isn't he under some obligation to perform Due Diligence in deciding whom to purchase from?  Or, do you simply buy at random, relying on JD to "guarantee" the outcome?  

Buyers currently merely need to rely on buyer protection.  It is true that most people speak of the things "they bought on eBay". 

Believe me, that is NOT the business model that Pierre created. 

Yes?

Is Coca-Cola still the business model originally created by John Pemberton?

(Hint.  google: cocaine)

Lynn

d-k_treasures
Community Member

in reply to 18704d

18704d wrote:

-------------

Lynn

Good food and variety that would ensure a customers return.

I am NOT a follower.
d-k_treasures
Community Member

in reply to 18704d

18704d wrote:

When a buyer comes here isn't he under some obligation to perform Due Diligence in deciding whom to purchase from?  Or, do you simply buy at random, relying on JD to "guarantee" the outcome?  

Buyers currently merely need to rely on buyer protection.  It is true that most people speak of the things "they bought on eBay". 

Believe me, that is NOT the business model that Pierre created. 

Yes?

Is Coca-Cola still the business model originally created by John Pemberton?

(Hint.  google: cocaine)

Lynn

Bad example - if they kept that formula, there would be no Pepsi.

I am NOT a follower.
no-plain-white-envelopes
Community Member

in reply to d-k_treasures

I sell sports cards on EBAY and I either have what a customer wants or I don't the only way they come back is if they find something I happen to have and my price is lower than some other chucklehead. Ebay keeps trying to reinvent the wheel with sellers and it is getting old and tiresome. I have had one return in 4 years and in my market if this 90 day return **bleep** happens in November and December it could totally shake up our area of sales. He is a problem that could result from that . If I sell a Russell Wilson Auto Rookie card for say $2500 on November 1st and he gets his back broken on January 15th in the Playoffs where he is pronounced paralyzed the buyer can return this card to me and I have just lost $2500 ,because the buyer was speculating on the value of the card to go up. I get 14 day to 45 day returns ,but 90 days is over kill.

18704d
Community Member

in reply to d-k_treasures

Good food and variety that would ensure a customers return.

-------

The primary reason people eat in restaurants is Service.

Lynn

Community Member

in reply to 18704d

Thought it was food . I can' t eat service. Horrible meal. Who cares. Great service just means I got that bad meal faster.

bubbleman2010
Community Member

in reply to ernsterman

Our food sucks,but we've got the best service in town......

Community Member

in reply to 18704d

The primary reason people eat in restaurants is Service.

Lynn, that is so not true.  My DH and I are total foodies and eat out a LOT.  Yes Service is very important, but if the service is good and the food is bad, would you return?  If there are dead flies on the windowsill, but the server refills your water without asking, would you go back?

We patronize places with awesome food, number ONE...good ambiance, #2, and good service #3.  Besides which, sometimes it is fun turning a surly server into a smiling one.

Community Member

in reply to bubbleman2010

Your chef is defective. his food  needs disruptive innovation---  try lots of ketchup. Night all. Almost time for  Hells' Kitchen.

18704d
Community Member

in reply to bubbleman2010

Our food sucks,but we've got the best service in town......

-------------

Run your restaurant like it's a chow hall and bark at your customers like a drill sergeant, and the best food in the world won't save you.

Lynn

Community Member

in reply to volvo351

Volvo........

What can be done?  The only choice I see is that I either adhere, leave or get kicked off

I'm a good seller.  I treat my customers right.  I go above and beyond

.....but I'm very small time.......which makes these updates really bad for me

I don't even know if my items are being viewed by who, where, when or anything

It's frustrating and it's not the Ebay we signed up for years ago.......

I'm tellin' ya........too much back scratchin' going on.  I know it because I see what is available to me as a buyer compared to a couple of years ago.......and I see how my sales have declined drastically.........then I go view completed listings and the two do not gee haw.........

With Ebay of today.......we're chin-deep in it........

a bunch of rules, regulations and procedures that do nothing but tie up time...........and alot less money

We're getting sand shoveled up our behinds and being told to scoot on it

volvo351
Community Member

in reply to no-plain-white-envelopes

I'm not positive who Russell Wilson is but I think he's a college footballer about to get drafted in the first round. I don't know if a rookie card would sell for $2500 for any athlete, but your point is well taken.  You're basically being forced to guarantee the value of your item for three months.  That's absurd.  Anything could happen to the value of anything in that much time.  Today's in-demand smart phone is tomorrow's relic.  That doesn't mean the seller misrepresented it, based on information available at time of sale. It doesn't mean the item is defective.  It just means it isn't as wizz-bang as we'd thought, or hoped. 

Yes, in your particular market the buyer gets to speculate at NO COST for three months.  If he scores, he scores.  If he "loses" YOU take it on the chin.  But, I seriously doubt that JD & Co. are intelligent enough to grasp that, and even if they were they wouldn't give a darn.

BTW, football's a dangerous game so let's all hope Mr. Wilson isn't jinxed by your hypothetical!

no-plain-white-envelopes
Community Member

in reply to volvo351

you are just joking , as Russell Wilson was the quarterback that won the Super Bowl. Maybe I should have replaced his name with Tom Brady. Any how yes you're right I doubt JD gets it. Oh an I was just checking my toolhaus and over 14 years is nice to know 7 negs. It just baffles me that ebay doesn't care about that in over 21000 transactions.

cynthealee2
Community Member

in reply to no-plain-white-envelopes

So don't offer the extended returns on those type items... you will still keep TRS...

You simply lose the 20% discount on the items that don't have the extended returns.

I'd rather not have the discount on those few items, than have the risk of having to refund the item 3 months later, and not be able to get anything near the same price when I go to resell it.