eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
jeniveve36
Community Member
Accepted Solution

What does 'faux' ivory mean in a listing?

I have been looking at netsukes on eBay recently and find that many say 'faux' ivory....I am told that some people will list real ivory as 'faux' to get around eBay's ban on ivory.  Could someone please tell me if this is true, or if faux ivory listing are all really either bone or plastic?  I just don't get listing an item that is real ivory as fake, it makes no sense and can really cause problems if the item is purchased thinking they really mean real ivory and you get the item and it is actually fake and you want to return it, you have no recourse even if you paid 'real' ivory prices...

Any information on how ivory listings work on eBay in the antiques category would be helpful.

Thank you,

Jennifer

Please use plain text.
jivvy
Community Member

Re: What does 'faux' ivory mean in a listing?

in reply to jeniveve36

Yes, it's true (at least in jewelry). The listings I've seen do it include pictures that make it clear the piece is ivory (for anyone who knows ivory).

My recommendation would be that if you can't tell from looking at it, assume it's not real and bid accordingly.

Please use plain text.
caffine-kid
Community Member

in reply to jivvy

Yes, if the photo can't give you enough to make an informed decision.....pass it by !

Check ox bone ....as an alternative to Faux ivory...

Actions speak louder than words........ just not here!
Please use plain text.
jeniveve36
Community Member

in reply to jivvy
Thank you for your insight.
Jennifer
Please use plain text.
jeniveve36
Community Member

in reply to caffine-kid
Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, ox bone is used a lot, I just want to make sure that if I purchase something thinking it is ivory it is ivory!
Anyway, thanks again.
Jen
Please use plain text.
pentiques
Community Member

in reply to jeniveve36

Many people will show a good close up of the grain in the item.  You as the buyer are expected to be able to tell the difference between faux ivory, ox bone, and real ivory when you see the close up.

Please use plain text.
thelmasstuff
Community Member

in reply to jeniveve36

French Ivory can be considered 'faux' ivory.  It was created at the turn of the last century for folks who couldn't afford real ivory.  Look up some pieces made of French Ivory and you'll see what I mean.  It's a type of early plastic.

Please use plain text.
evelyb30
Community Member

in reply to thelmasstuff

"French ivory" is celluloid.  Or most of it is. You can also run into "vegetable ivory" which is another substitute.  It's usually used in small pieces and often made of tagua nut.  I've seen "fossil material" used for mammoth or fossil walrus ivory too, just to add to the confusion.  

======================================================
She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to evelyb30

"Vegetable ivory" not only sounds like an oxymoron, it conjures up a picture of something the color and consistency of overcooked spinach...

Please use plain text.
pentiques
Community Member

in reply to silverthwait

My experience is that vegetable ivory is a completely different color, usually toffee color and the grain in French, faux celluloid ivory is also very not like ivory at all.  Google "identify ivory" it will get you a chart showing close up photos of ivory so you can get a better grip on the grain.

Please use plain text.
jeniveve36
Community Member

in reply to pentiques
Being able to tell, from a picture, many blurry at times, is very difficult and grain can be faked just like everything else in this world. However I do understand what you are saying, it is easy to tell who is trying to deceive and who isn't sometimes, i just feel the use of 'faux' when it is real is silly.
Please use plain text.
jeniveve36
Community Member

in reply to thelmasstuff
Thank you, yes I have come across that.
Please use plain text.
jeniveve36
Community Member

in reply to evelyb30
French Ivory, Celluloid, at least they are saying what it is. I don't know, I guess I just feel like people can come up with something better when it is real just mho...Thank you for answering.
Please use plain text.
jeniveve36
Community Member

in reply to pentiques
Thank you, I will check that out!
Please use plain text.