cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received offer that is too high.

I just declined on offer on one of my listings - an antique sewing box.  The offer was almost double my starting price, and the seller is brand new with no history.  I thanked the interested party and suggested they place a bid.  Am I being too suspicious?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Since listed as auction you may have done the right thing.  Most offer are a low ball to get it cheap on such listings.

I think about such as to what I have in an item and my research shows the item to be worth.. If I am in a good profit margin I will some times take an offer...

As for the zero: we all started that way....

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@sdsusanl 

If it was a BIN, I'd be a little worried if they offered more then the listed price.

Since it's an auction, they might think it'll go for more and hoping they can get it at a decent price.

Or, they don't wait until auction ends to see if they win or not.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I probably should have accepted and waited to see if the sale went through.

More courage next time 🙂

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a newish seller with lots to learn 🙂

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You're very wise to err on the side of caution while you gain experience. There's one other scenario that might have been in play here since you sell vintage/antique goods. It's possible someone doing a Google search for an item they really want found your listing, joined eBay, and put in an offer they hoped would be high enough to ensure they got it. That happens more than you might think. But again, if you're not comfortable with an offer it's best to walk away.

When I was looking at your completed listings I was delighted to see the Roseville child's plate. I have one exactly like it that my father used when he was a child!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It sort of depends on what you have into it. If you sell it for a dollar above the fees and what you paid for it, you made a dollar today.

You seem to not know what you have? or what it might be worth? Maybe do a little more research? is the hardware sterling? is the embellishment hand painted porcelain or just look like it is? 

The style looks like Sheridan era or French Regency. I can see where dealers are asking $200-$300 for examples in much much better condition. And "Asking" translates as "Not quite selling for".

It seems a little silly to have a buy it now option and then not accept extremely good offers. I mean, it's not like you have a boutique on 5th ave. and selling to the Rockefellers. But if your lucky, you might attract the buyer for that Boutique who can properly identify and refurbish the box that is clearly missing leg parts.

You may have lost the only good buyer for the piece, if I was that buyer I think I would wait to snipe the minimum. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply