cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying possible antique

Hello, a friend of mine is selling some antiques and came across these items that almost look like whips. She thought maybe they're used for horses? But we really have no idea. Any thoughts on what they are or what they're used for? Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Tallesbrunnn and Eggendorf are both municipalities in Lower Austria.

I don't know what the things are called, but they are a part of the fancy harness regalia for draft horses in that part of the world, as you can see here:Screenshot from 2017-07-14 22_38_35.png

99089120e5dccb1368ea338825718c58.jpg

0937a9f5b65fcfdfb2fa9e2b9917ff87--appaloosa-horses-friesian.jpg

I think they may have considerable value to collectors, so do a lot of homework in finding the proper name for them, and so on, before offering them for sale.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Sorry, had to leave the computer for awhile.

Be sure to research on the names, as well.  I know that's a challenge, especially since both are common names, but still...  They may be the names of individuals but they could be the names of businesses.  On the Josef Fischer one, for example, it looks like there are grapevines / grapes.  Winery or wine merchant? 

These are a very good find, I think.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I found one listed on eBay.  Unfotunately, that person doesn't know the exact name of this piece, either, but take a look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-German-Draft-Horse-Parade-Dress-Harness-Ornament-Ernst-Vineyard-Wine...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

One final thing:  I'm thinking now that instead of grapes, that may be hops on the Fischer piece.  I say that because the horses I've found so far that rigged out in this sort of fancy dress are pulling beer wagons.

Anyhow, enough from me.  Good luck with these.

images.jpeg

HOPS

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

One final thing:  I'm thinking now that instead of grapes, that may be hops on the Fischer piece.  I say that because the horses I've found so far that rigged out in this sort of fancy dress are pulling beer wagons.

Anyhow, enough from me.  Good luck with these.

images.jpeg

HOPS

Looks like the OP hasn't been back since you replied, Maxine. I hope that she will come back to see your helpful reply.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@figtree3 wrote:

Looks like the OP hasn't been back since you replied, Maxine. I hope that she will come back to see your helpful reply.

One reason that so many generous and helpful people finally gave up on these boards is that the majority of OPs never return to their own threads these days.  Or perhaps some who do, don't bother to let anyone know it. 

This is not a problem for me, as I mess around here now largely for my own sake:  I look for interesting little puzzles as try to solve -- to entertain myself, to learn, and as one kind of mental exercise for my aging brain.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@figtree3 wrote:

One reason that so many generous and helpful people finally gave up on these boards is that the majority of OPs never return to their own threads these days.  Or perhaps some who do, don't bother to let anyone know it. 

This is not a problem for me, as I mess around here now largely for my own sake:  I look for interesting little puzzles as try to solve -- to entertain myself, to learn, and as one kind of mental exercise for my aging brain.  

I know what you mean... it can be fun! I do hate to see when people never come back to look at the replies to their own questions.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply