cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purpose for this miniature chest?

We can figure out what special purpose these cubbies were for. Not silverware. Not cosmetics nor jewelry? I'd be happy with guesses. Was heavily used. bottom drawer ink stained and used so often the runner has worn down. Thank you so much and best wishes.

_20151231_050818.JPGDSC_0065.JPGDSC_0066.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Purpose for this miniature chest?

Art supplies? my aunt was a graphic artist and all of her drawers looked like that 🙂 brushes, air brush tips etc etc....

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

They made these sorts of chests for just about any use you can imagine. But you are probably looking for a fancy name you can tag onto it in order to get the highest price?

These types of cases could be highly individualized, for a shop, office or kitchen, therefore, who knows what it was intended for or why. And does that matter?

The top drawer with the dovetailing makes me think of a drying rack, with the uprights missing, perhaps for drying herbs? Perhaps for some trade? The 'ink stain' could have been vinegar or honey which can both turn brown/black over a hundred years. Just because it is black now don't mean it was black way back then.

I would focus on the craftsmanship/joinery and wood, the back of the drawers look to be the same as the fronts (quarter sawn maple?) The nobs may be later replacements. Folks will buy these without knowing the intended purpose and those collecters who might know may not be willing to say.

good luck.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Hi! This chest intrigues me. But I would love to know th measurements, I dont believe I saw them mentioned anywhere. I have a few really old wood boxes that i'm not sure of either so i keep checking out these posts when I have time. To me this one is beautiful no matter what it was used for.What kills me is i know i'm going to have to sell a lot of mine as iknow i'm going to have to move and so much has to be sold. Long story but now we're in a 8 room house that is filled with E-Bay now that will have to be sold. So I will probably be on here myself for support. I love reeading this.Good luck with your little chest of drawers. I love it. Good luck with it.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you all. Love this little cheat but will robably be listing it today or tomorrow. Best wishes to all.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply