cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estate Wool Pictorial woven rug Mexican Native American?

Hi all and thanks.

From an estate. I was thinking those look like Yei characters but this is an area I know little of. Is that a horse or lama? Any thoughts would be gratfulley accepted. Approx. 38" long w additional 2" fringe. 18 1/2" wide

aaaaaaa 019.JPG

aaaaaaa 029.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

No, not Yei, those figures are more exaggerated and elongated.

If I am not mistaken that center animal (red) appears to be a camel.?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I agree not Yei, that camel pretty much nails it, and also Navajo rugs don't have fringe except sometimes on one end. Mexican rugs do and I suppose this could be a Mexican rug trying to be a middle eastern rug, but don't think so. Good luck!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I think it looks like an. Indian dhurrie.  Extremely popular from. The 70s. On.  Inspiration was from any culture. Weave looks right,  colours and camel too. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you all but I looked at many Egyptian and Europen textiles and camels are depicted with humps and ears. The animal has a rider as well. I was sure it was a horse because of the mane or a llama or alpaca. Crosses and arrows. It is hadmade.

Still looking for more imput.

Thanks again

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

One has to consider artistic license.  Alpacas are not generally ridden the shape definitely seems to be a camel with the hump. Being hidden from view by the rider. 

This really looks like a fanciful representation of yei although not correct, a camel with perhaps a celestial rider. You have your work cut out for you!

Good luck! Keep in mind while searching. Horizontal weave, fringe on both ends and type of wool? 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It's probably from Ecuador.  Those stylized figures with the little triangular skirts, box-like feet, and diamond-shaped heads are common images on rugs from Ecuador.  The way the end are finished also is typical.   Do a web search for "Otavalo market" and check out the images for rugs there.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply