cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would any one have any idea what this medal/pin/brooch is?

I have no idea what this is. I bought it because it was fairly inexpensive and interesting but I don't know what I bought. It weighs 24 grams, it is 3 1/2" x 1 7/8", probably brass with no markings. It looks like one of those medals that a dictator that landed on Gilligan's Island might wear.

Hopefully I can add these picts?

Oh well, thanks for any info, 

Karl.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Would any one have any idea what this medal/pin/brooch is?

The enamelled crest has a book and an oil lamp, which makes me think it has something to do with the pursuit of knowledge (maybe a school or scholarly society). Maybe the Ebay 'Historical Memorabilia' community would also be interested in this. Good luck.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, I'll check it out and

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Karl.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hi, well I've been looking for whose crests these are for a couple of hours (was determined), knowing just a smidge about heraldry. I thought i could find it but alas, I did not. It represents some institution somewhere. Did locate other pins similar to yours, but those did not have descriptive provenance. Here is one on Bonanza:

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Vintage-Griffin-Gryphon-Coat-of-Arms-Crest-Shield-Brooch-Pin-Figura...

What I can say is that is a griffin on the right. The crowned shield on the left is a wide badge style with bend (the dotted banner across the face of it) with fleur de lis and stars. The bottom crest is an ornate cavalry style quarterly shield with a saltire (the x shape thing). The lamp and book may mean this crest belongs to a university or learning institution but i couldn't confirm it. Sorry i couldn't be of more assistance.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I thank you also for your time. The chase often is more entertaining than the value.

I save these responses as valuable clues and suggestions or at least point me in a direction to search.

Other than the material, that piece is on Bonanza looks to be the exact same. 

I'm curious, what words did you search to find that?

Thanks again and HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Karl.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hi @udoittwo 

Karl, sorry for the delay. The Search i was using was variations on "shield with fleur de lis and stars with bend across and crown on top left facing griffin award pin" for the top portion. For the bottom I used armorial+achievement+cavalry+red+blue+quarterly+shield+with+saltire+and+book+and+lamp, but i failed to pull up any exact hits. The search continues! Best of luck in your quest.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Hi,
This type of design—coat of arms, heraldic, regimental, etc.—was popular on costume jewelry around the mid-century (40s-60s) and can be found on brooches, earrings, charm bracelets, etc.
I really don’t think they have a specific meaning for a specific group.  More likely just a combination of typical heraldic/regimental design elements to convey a certain look.  Perhaps based on historical designs but not in any meaningful sense, like if H&M makes a “military style” jacket it’s not based on a specific army. 
I agree that they are cool but I wouldn’t drive yourself crazy trying to research a specific group or organization.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

It was the class penmanship medal in the movie "The Bad Seed".  The medal which Rhoda felt she herself deserved, so she killed the little boy who won it.  Highly collectible!  (Sorry, I just couldn't resist - that is what it made me think of)

Message 8 of 8
latest reply