cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tortoise shell bracelet

I purchased this bracelet as part of an estate lot and originally thought it was plastic. However when I did the burn test it smelled of burnt hair.
Now the problem , can I sell it? Is there any way to tell what species it was so I can stay within the law?

Also I'm seeing a windmill on one link and a palm tree on another. Any thoughts as to where this may have originated?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Tortoise shell bracelet

With the windmill, I would think the Netherland Antilles.  items made from tortoise shell are hard to find these days and your bracelet doesn't look terribly old.  Do you think it could be horn instead?  Can be very similiar in appearance.

Debora

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Tortoise shell bracelet

Debora, it might be! The only thing that made me say shell was the burnt hair smell it gave off. Would horn smell similar with the burn test? Thank you for the location information, super helpful
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Tortoise shell bracelet

Dunno.  But lots of knowledgeable people visit these boards.  Sure someone else will know.

Debora

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Tortoise shell bracelet

I suppose I need to change this title to "is this tortoise shell?" 😫
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Tortoise shell bracelet

I had a tortoise shell bracelet from the 1930's that was very similar to yours; it had carved fish and palm trees. It belonged to my great aunt and she said she got it in the 30's or maybe the early 1940's. I sold it for $199.00. If you want to sell it eBay might has issue with toirtoise shell use being on the banned list even though yours was made before the ban.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Tortoise shell bracelet

If it smells of hair it is genuine and the motives suggest to me a voyage from Holland by ship and sites seen on the way, i.e.; shark.  Good luck!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Tortoise shell bracelet

Try selling it.  I see Torroise shell needles for sale.  They will let you know if they think it inappropriate.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Tortoise shell bracelet

Asking this question is a red flag for ebay, especially in the title. You always have to show that you know what you are selling.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply