cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sponsored links appearing on my listings hurt my sales

I am interested in getting opinions from other sellers...........  Ebay is adding sponsored links to my listings.  At times, the sponsored links are advertising the same item that I'm selling, only at a LESSER Price!! Why would a bidder buy my item when Ebay is showing them where they can buy it at a better price???? I feel this is very detrimental to sellers.  Please let me know how you feel about this. Thank You

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: sponsored links appearing on my listings hurt my sales

I am new to eBay and enjoying it. Hiwver, I posted a book for sale and on my list (not of my doing) right under my price it says ”19 new & refurbished from $4.99” which links to other sellers. I have not seen this on any other of my items. Is this only done for book? How can I remove this? Thanks, eBay Newbie

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

Capture.PNG

Image above shows my listing at the top. The highlighted link states "10 brand new from $239.99". The 3 listings below mine do not have a link taking a prospective buyer to a cheaper listing. I know there is nothing I can do but this is ridiculous. This is the worst sales I have had on eBay in a long time. And tactics like this are not helping.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

Don’t know where they come up with those numbers. They are all probably used and nasty. Or one person has them listed at that price somewhere on the net.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 33 of 38
latest reply

When you click that link it takes you to another eBay listing for the same exact item listed at a cheaper price. Just as the link states. Basically eBay is advertising for other sellers on my listing and at the cost of limiting my sales.

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

I disagree, I haven't seen Ebay do this on my listings until early summer of last year.  I'm having a lot of challenges with it for two reasons:

1.  Its a link that takes them away from the listing I am paying for to buy a cheaper product (in some cases not always the same).  I think this link should be somewhere else other than right under

my paid for listing.

2. I sell hair care and it is confusing my buyers into thinking that my items could be refurbished as if

someone out want to purchase used haircare items or refurbished.  I'm not a manufacturer.   It doesn't apply to all types of items and I think it should be used for only the ones that it does apply to.

What do others think? I'm not getting a response from anyone other than they will report it for me.

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

The only result from prices  being forced low by competitior's links is to force sellers out of business and cause them to sell at a loss in order to move timed merchandise.  These people will not come back as sellers, but rather, as buyers who will sell thru other venues such as magazine advertisiong, private websites, flea markets, individual shops or  selling on eBay through the auction option which keeps the targeted  competor listings away to some extent.   

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

Just recently noticed sponsered adds showing up on my listing and have a question?

I have an online store plus Ebay for over 10 years and policy is to not redirect potential customers to my website, which I have complied with!

Now the sponsered adds can redirect to someone elses website where they do not pay the EBAY fees allowing them to sell for less as they do not have EBAY fees to pay, or am I missing something?

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

No. The OP is NOT complaining about other sellers selling the same item for less. She is upset over other sellers' items being advertised on a listing page SHE paid for. And it gets worse. Imagine this scenario: 

You list item X on eBay. Nine other sellers list that same exact item X. But you have the best photos and item description out of the ten (you spend the most time taking meticulous photos with perfect lighting and from multiple angles, and spend hours inspecting and researching the item in order to provide a thorough description), and so your listing thumbnail attracts the most potential buyers of item X. However, once the potential buyer clicks on your listing, he is presented with multiple other listings for the exact same item X being sold at a lower price. He would never have clicked on those listings since they have awful photos and are uninformative. But since this buyer has seen and read your excellent listing, he now knows exactly what he is buying, and decides to purchase from one of the cheaper sellers. In this scenario, you have effectively done all the work so that another seller (one that agreed to pay eBay a percentage of the item price in order for their item to be promoted) could end up with the sale.

Still sound fair to you?

Message 38 of 38
latest reply