cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anybody else having low "views"or is it just me???

shlbele
Enthusiast

HI,  my recent listings/relistings for a couple of months now, really haven't had more than 7 views. . Are there any buyers here? Is it that way for anybody else? Are my write ups bad? Thought it might be my negative feedback of 10 years ago. Just looking for some thoughts or advise. Thank you so much

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: anybody else having low "views"or is it just me???

The collectible market is subject to pretty wide swings and since things are pretty well "worth" what someone will pay for them, if your $100 comic is only bringing $10 today, you'll have to decide if you want to sell it for $10 today or sit on it for a few years until it gets back to $100 or $200 or continues to drop to $5.

If you want to sell a comic you think is worth $50 that only brings $5 here, let a specialty auction house handle the sale or get a web site and sell it yourself for $50.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Message 16 of 30
latest reply

That's correct for "collectables" - they go up, they go down, and they often have little intrinsic or practical 'value", meaning in a tough economy, they don't rank over food or gas...

That does NOT explain how categories that have VERY predictable price patterns on "hot" items are seeing PATHETIC hit rates when offered at fair prices. 

I'm glad you have high hopes for "Cassini" - judging from the programming "skills" evidenced by all the glitches, I don't... in fact, I'd suspect that they are already using/testing the technology, and it might well be the source of some of the problems.  EBay's PFCM's love to toss stuff and see what sticks... or doesn't.

EBay is SUPPOSED to be a "well oiled" e-commerce site, it's not "brain surgery", there are plenty of sites that work as expected.  If the current programming team (which from my understanding is a "new" team assembled to "fix" and update) can't do it, they need to fire appropriate personnel and hire qualified replacements until they get someone who can get the bugs out and keep them out. 

And if you REALLY think they are going to get the "best" 200 picks when someone runs a search, you've never gotten one of those "you might be interested in..." e-mails!!  Monkeys with a dartboard are more likely to "hit" something I'm looking for! 

The problem is that as a seller, you want to get hit(s), and you come to eBay for them to deliver those hits. If the engine designed to do that keeps missing or backfiring, the attractiveness of the site goes WAAAY down.  And if buyers can't find what they want, quickly and efficiently, they will go elsewhere... that's a long standing rule in e-comm...

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

This should be the end of listing fees (how can they charge you for a listing that may never be found by anyone), of DSR scores (not needed when they can use seller history, feedback comment contents, actual description quality, shipping performance, etc.), and hopefully of some other annoyances sellers face every day.

Not utopia by any means but hopefully a better place for us to sell and for buyers to buy.

Wouldn't that be love-ly! Alas, until that day comes, most of us have to put up with this malfunctioning search engine, both as buyers and sellers. 

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

I thought it was just me not using the right words when researching things.Rarely does the item I'm searching come up no matter how it's worded.I usually didn't have too many problems as a seller or buyer when researching.There may have been say 20 items or more come up in the search with at least half or more of the items what I was searching for,but for the past few weeks many times I get nothing or only a few items.Many of the items are not rare or hard to find and when I go to other sites searching I find dozens if not more.When on other sites some will show where else the item is sold and almost always it will show the item on ebay,yet when I searched on ebay I had come up with 0 searches. It's almost a waste of time searching on ebay for items anymore as a seller or buyer.

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 19 of 30
latest reply

I've watched as the listings dwindle in many of my "regular" searches - sometimes it's just the market - people have sold off their stuff, and not much hits the market for some things.  Other things are the "new or nearly new", and it's all overpriced/retail offerings (I wait for the rare BIN at the right price). 

Keyword search can be a bit tricky to start with, but there are definitely problems with how eBay parses the search terms sometimes...  you almost have to try a few random variations until you find the one that brings up what you were looking for sometimes. 

There is a method some "buyers" (myself included sometimes) use - looking for commonly mis-spelt words, or variations of name or model #, and a few other little "tricks" to find "mislisted" items. 

The problem I found with the "search engine" is if left to its defaults, it produces random garbage results (this is what the "average" buyer gets).  You have to use "advanced search", and tweak it until you get a smaller and more accurate return.  Even then, sometimes you get garbage, or a blank page, or an incomplete return... refreshing will USUALLY "fix" it when that happens, sometimes the servers hiccup.

When they say they have this great new thingy that will "automagically" serve up just what you were looking for, I have to laugh... silly monkeys!  Not saying it CAN'T be done, but this lot of programmers and managers aren't going to do it!

WAAAY back they did a little contest to teach people how to search (may have been '06 or so?).  They put up little "prize listings" with tricky but valid search terms, so they showed people HOW to search (fish) successfully. 

Now they want to just slap a fish in your lap and go "this is what you wanted, right?"  90%+ of the time, wrong "fish"... their AI (artificial intelligence) algorithms just aren't that good at "shopping"!

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

I look for old car parts regularly and when you search for a specific old car ,90% of the listings that come up are not even for that vehicle or they are just generic crap like vintage car signs. No one wants to look through over 1000 listings for under  100 actual vehicle specific parts . I bet lots of people log off  ebay because of this .

I don't do normal.......
Message 21 of 30
latest reply

SHLBELE,  People don't read so it is not your descriptions.  In general there could be low views due to many things..   Maybe there is a lot of what your selling out there?  Could be the nice weather as people tend to come out of hibernation, another good blame is everyone is broke.   Tons of reasons..    

I have past negative yet still sell I honestly think the FEEDBACK system is a joke on ebay.

I wish they would allow us buyers to leave Negatives only if the buyer leaves a NEG.

Just keep plucking away you will sell stuff sooner or later.

Also everything you list on EB you should list on Craigslist..  Wherever it sells first pull the other

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Today I did a search for "outdoor fabric" - didn't think I could be much clearer in what I wanted to search for.  Out of the several hundred listings, almost half were for regular dress making fabric because the sellers are listing them that way.  WHY?  I finally gave up.  Seller's are abusing the category feature - how do we handle that?

I rescued my dog and he rescued me!!
Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Hello There

Same here, the majorot of the 580 or so items of mine ended with ZERO views SUN; but interestingly, those are among the nicest and rarest things I have...so, I haven't relisted most of them just yet. Still trying to figure out whether to reopen my store, or not.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

I'm having the same problem. I've sold the same items with similar wordings to titles for many years, since 1998, on several accounts. These items are always in demand, and more so now than ever. Suddenly just this week my "views" have dropped greatly.

Usually I'd get 30 views by the end of the first day. Now I have one that is several days old that has NO VIEWS. None, zero, zilch.

What did Ebay do to the search engine this time? Does anyone know?

Again VIEWS are down. If anyone knows please let me know. I'd call the wonderful folks in the Phillipines but I doubt they'd be able to help me. Thanks  Please don't read my ad and say someone didn't like it or whatever, that has nothing to do with the views, but I guess if you go and look at my ads, at least I'll finally get some views lol

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

is anyone else selling these in demand items?

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@oregon_coast_books wrote:

I'm having the same problem. I've sold the same items with similar wordings to titles for many years, since 1998, on several accounts. These items are always in demand, and more so now than ever. Suddenly just this week my "views" have dropped greatly.

Usually I'd get 30 views by the end of the first day. Now I have one that is several days old that has NO VIEWS. None, zero, zilch.

Again VIEWS are down. If anyone knows please let me know. I'd call the wonderful folks in the Phillipines but I doubt they'd be able to help me. Thanks  Please don't read my ad and say someone didn't like it or whatever, that has nothing to do with the views, but I guess if you go and look at my ads, at least I'll finally get some views lol

Evening OregonCoastBooks and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

eBay keeps "tweaking" Cassini" and sometimes it doesn't help, try a search for eBay Cassini help. Hope this helps!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@shlbele wrote:

HI,  my recent listings/relistings for a couple of months now, really haven't had more than 7 views. . Are there any buyers here? Is it that way for anybody else? Are my write ups bad? Thought it might be my negative feedback of 10 years ago. Just looking for some thoughts or advise. Thank you so much

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

Hi, I have the same problem since january 2017. I sell solid silver and I used to sell easily and quick all kind of stuff , specialy all kind of boxes . I used to have 40/60 views and 10/15 watchers. Since january, I dont have sales, no watchers and not even views. Thinking about to leave eBay .

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

I am an Ebay seller since 2010 , these days very dramatically dropped the sale and views , my business almost 90% Down , I really don’t know what’s going on 

Message 30 of 30
latest reply