cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returns question for some of the veteran posters here...

SO, a while back, I changed all my listings to "NO RETURNS" because of eBay always making the return period longer and longer.  I sell parts that can't be taken back and re-sold, because they often have to be modified to install on a guitar.  Anyway, I just got a return request for one of the Ibanez battery holders I sell, with the buyer saying "this doesn't look anything like" the battery box on his Ibanez 12-string.  Mind you, he never says what model of Ibanez guitar he has.  My description of the part says it fits Ibanez guitars with TWO SPECIFIC preamp models in them, and it might fit others that I am not aware of.  Ibanez has a habit of changing electronics up in their models, sometimes even changing the preamp they use within a model year, so you might encounter a model that had two or three different preamps in it over the course of a year's time.... anyway, because of that, I state that this is for the two specific preamps that they are known to use it with, and that some of the model AE18 guitars have this one in them as well.  There are clear pictures of what the part looks like in the listing.   I didn't outright deny the request, but I messaged him back, and I did state that I describe clearly what this particular battery holder fits and the pictures give a very clear image of what the part looks like.  If he admits it doesn't look like what he has, is that enough for me to beat an attempted return, since he bought it for something it's not intended for? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It does not matter if you state no returns, with eBay's 100% satisfaction guarantee the customer will be refunded no matter what.  That is why it is important to accept returns but, you set it to your terms. 

You can put conditions on your returns, like no refund it item has been modified, no refund if item is damaged.  No refund on shipping charges for buyer remorse. 

You can also charge a restocking fee.  I have not returned items just because of restocking fees.  Instead, I just resold the item.........

If you are selling parts which are custom made for a customer, why would they be returning the item ?  If there is a problem with your product then you should accept it.  But if you are creating modified items for a customer then you must state upfront in the listing that specially ordered modified parts can not be returned unless defective.

Veteran poster who has been MIA  aka Tinkurbel

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@thingsforyourotherhouse wrote:

It does not matter if you state no returns, with eBay's 100% satisfaction guarantee the customer will be refunded no matter what.  That is why it is important to accept returns but, you set it to your terms. 

You can put conditions on your returns, like no refund it item has been modified, no refund if item is damaged.  No refund on shipping charges for buyer remorse. 

You can also charge a restocking fee.  I have not returned items just because of restocking fees.  Instead, I just resold the item.........

If you are selling parts which are custom made for a customer, why would they be returning the item ?  If there is a problem with your product then you should accept it.  But if you are creating modified items for a customer then you must state upfront in the listing that specially ordered modified parts can not be returned unless defective.

Veteran poster who has been MIA  aka Tinkurbel

Hmmm.  Well, eBay found in my favor and granted me denying the return because the buyer tried to misuse it.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Tink, these aren't custom made for a customer, they're parts that are made for specific guitar models, and this customer did not have the same guitar the part was made for, which is why it was different than their guitar. They tried to buy it and make it work anyway. That's why (at least I'm pretty sure that's why) eBay found in my favor.  It clearly states in my listings which guitar models the part will fit and that it doesn't fit others, or that it may not fit others.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply