cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perfume on Clothing

I have found beautiful, brand name items of used clothing over the years I buy for for work, high quality blouses from big name manufacturers for great prices.  I try to get NWT when I can. 

The last 4-5 items I purchased REEKED of this cheap perfume smell when opening them....took 2 washings to barely remove it!  I'm not talking a light fresh scent, but heavy, distinctive, overpowering perfume...and what is weird is the same smell comes from different parts of the country!

Seriously, is there some brand of Freebreeze called, "Nasty Perfume?"  It's really bizarre!  There is never any mention of this STRONG perfume smell in the listings, either....It makes it really hard for me to leave good Feedback, when I almost gag opening the package and the first huge whiff comes out!

These items are always spotlessly clean, in almost new condition, too.  Not a speck of dirt, dust or anything.  Beautiful quality!  I just cannot believe different sellers are using the same nasty, heavy perfume?  Or is there some new scented spray they are all using on the items??

I'm not a overly senstive smell type person, either....I'm talking REEKS of cheap perfume that knocks you over! 

I'm forced to stop buying items because of this.  I feel as if I should email the seller first before bidding, to ask, "Is this item covered in perfume?"  This is NOT a Freebreeze type smell. It's a mixture of Vapo-Rub doused with heavy perfume...could it be moth balls?  Is there a neutralizer for that?

I just opened a gorgeous soutache and pearl trimmed ivory blouse by Kathy Chi, I would guess cost at least $50 when new.  The same smell was so strong, I'm on the third washing right now.

It takes 2-3 washings to get the stink level from obnoxious to almost gone....It seems the sellers saturate the beautiful clothing!

Anyone else notice this?

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Perfume on Clothing

I'm going to stop buying clothes even NWT, from ebay.  The last 4 items I've bought, I've washed several times using vinegar, hung out on the line all day and they still reek of a similar foul cheap perfume odor.  Like someone else said, the clothes are clean.  

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=ediev123&completed=1&all=0&rows=50&sort=3&...

Sounds like it hasen't gone well ediev123... Sorry this happened to you!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 32 of 37
latest reply

It could be any one of hundreds of laundry products on the market.  The scents used in laundry products just keep getting stronger and stronger.  I can hardly get near that area of the store at all.  It reeks all the way through the plastic bottles!

If the fabric of the clothing you have purchased is synthetic it may be even harder to get the fragrance out.  They are both petroleum based and so the fragrance really sticks to the synthetic fibers.

Good luck!!

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

It would not be worse if you were extremely sensitive to fragrances or suffered from environmental illness. This simple fragrance could put a sensitive person in bed sick for a week!!
Message 34 of 37
latest reply

I use original SA8 detergent for my laundry.  The formula is roughly the same as it was years ago.  No extra fragrances or chemicals.

Say what you will about Amway, but their household cleaners and vitamins are pretty good.

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

Yes...5 articles of clothing from 5 different sellers! There is a video on you tube in which a 20 someting man from CT advises sellers to wrap up clothes with stinky dryer sheets! Ugh! Next items came with serious mold smells...one listed new. I bet his basement reeks.    

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

@seasong95

This thread is from 2013.

You are more than welcome to start a new thread. Groups > Business Insights >Selling > Part Time Sellers

Start a new topic 

Hope I got that right 😂

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 37 of 37
latest reply