cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paypal holding funds for 21 days

lonewolf6459
Enthusiast
I sold a jewlery item on here and the funds were put right into my account for me to spend. I sold another jewlery item 3 days later and they told me they can hold my money for up to 21 days. What if I was bidding on another item and needed the money to pay for it. If the buyer decides he does not like the item, he gets the money back. I liked the old days on ebay. I have a feedback of 43 with 100 percent positive. I usually only sell on here when money is tight. I am looking for another place to sell. Any suggestions out there?????
Message 1 of 160
latest reply
159 REPLIES 159

Re: Paypal holding funds for 21 days

Thank you 2minutes2midnight for your understanding that eBay really has gone too far this time. Namely a criminal path.

Iron Maiden fan by chance? I am not arguing with you. Jsut discussing this important issue becasue I don't totally agree with all your statements.

You said:

"I believe there is a marked difference between trying to continue to make eBay work, in spite of itself, and agreeing to be victim."

I make ebay work, and have done so for 11 years in spite of ebay deliberately working against me.  Now they are just outright hostile towards me.  Should I stay silent about open criminal victimization that will continue on 60 thousand other struggling sellers if I leave, thinking it is not my problem anymore? Should I turn a blind eye to my fellow american families who have no idea how to combat the slow but steady hostile take over of every selling account over 10 years old or 1000 pos feedback??  Many of these ebay sellers are struggling at what might be their families last chance at a solid business venture in a cutthroat and bankrupt economy where there are few good jobs anymore. So mom tries to raise good kids in a home that needs dual income and ebay squashes it becasue we don't have the resources and surplus to handle 2 out of a hundred bad buyers.

But still, John Donahoe is deliberately working against a large part of the most "at risk" American small home businesses. By destroying these meager American businesses, ebay is a virtual landlord that inflicts mafia style tactics. They deliberately make MORE AND MORE BUSINESSES GO UNDER .  How good is that for America.  Is that better for GNP or the overall economy than an increase in eBay stock of .50 cents a share.  NO!

You also said,

"I can only speak for myself, but the day it no longer becomes fun to use eBay... I will leave...but not without having given it my best effort to stay."

I have to still work even though it no longer is fun anymore.  We need money, and we the decade old sellers have to protect the decades and money and integrity we have put into our busnesses.  Ebay has ZERO respect for our integrity or seniority and PROOF of good business.  2minutes, You have never had an "un-fun" day on ebay? You promise will leave the very day you don't have a fun day on ebay?  I do not believe you. We all have trudged through the good and bad days. silently and for too long.  I choose to stay on ebay AND ALSO speak up.  Why can't people do that.  If I am a victim everyone seems to tell me "Why are you here then?" Becasue I value all us Ebay sellers more than Donahoe does.

Also,

"I do not consider that being a victim"

Well, you can't rape the willing, so for you, you are not a victim, you are a willing participant.

I am not, and I do not waive my legal right to be free from organized anti-competitive conduct and hostile monopolization anti-trust crimes.  When paypal is involved, and now when ebay (not paypal) can get others to ruin my reputation in order for them to use it as ammo against me, I am not going to stay silent. I love eBay more than Donahoe does.  Donahoe just wants money. He has changed eBay into a FUBAR of what was once an ethical company under Whitman. But under Donahoe has become the most corrupt company in the world.  BP can't hold a candle to the spin ebay puts on policy to make it seem legal. ALL attempts at monopoly end up destroying the company trying to do it, and it ruins much of society and the industry in the process, HURTING EVERYONE and the progress of humanity.

Ebay is hurting the progress of humanity, more than they are helping.

Just think if walmart charged Pepsi, part of the cost of gas that it took the customers to used to come and buy the case of pepsi at walmart. But the customer never got the 2 cents.  Walmart kept it from them and extorted pepsi by saying they can sell the soda here if you don't give us two more cents, for no reason.

That crime has yet to be defined. But what store in their right mind would do that to their vendors?  Oh yeah, THREATS and anti competition extortion.  Basically they are telling Pepsi, if you want to sell your soda here give us 2 more cents out of your profit and into our profit margin.  And I will lie to you and tell you it is so we all can have a better business model and we will put that money to good use for you.

Flat  out lies all day long.  The only honest people in ebay are the buyers and sellers. Ebay has 140,000 emplyees and not one of them are honest enought to speak up against the crimes.  That is why all the phone service people are in their 20's.  They will do ANYTHING to climb the cash cow ladder of corrupt ebay.

BTW, the % on postage is actually an undefined action. But in reality it is extortion and theft. First is a threat, the extortion. Then the taking of money, theft.

The big lie. And Wall Street is filled with this hostile, smash and grab, "worry if it is illegal later" They can't put a whole company in prison so lets take our chances and rape our vendors.

Message 46 of 160
latest reply

30 days?  Your bank bites.  Must be Bank of America. That is what eBay is going to do pretty soon with every purchase that isn't from Half.com or shopping .com.  ALL sellers will have a 30 day hold on EVERY payment.  Just because they believe all sellers will be dishonest in the future.

That is why you should use postal money orders and you list that the buyer can do local pick up with cash or MO. They are cheaper than a bank MO, and you can ALWAYS cash postal money orders instantly.

"Pick up" my postal money order in my local mailbox. The buyer "picks up his item at his local mailbox.

Seems pretty easy to me though I have never done this. That would be subversion of 2 cents of eBays hard stolen money.

Message 47 of 160
latest reply

Keep in mind that Paypal/Ebay are in collusion on this one. And you are being forced to break laws along with them. If your conscience lets you do that, okay, but I happen to mind. When a buyer pays for an item and shipping, it is their money that is going in your account which paypal is then holding hostage.

It's playing fast and loose on their part. They then, hold this money, but take money out of your verified accounts at their leisure while maintaining your/buyer's money in their own accounts.

Huge red flag here. I expect that the class actions that are ongoing will be won by the plaintiffs. Apparently, paypal/ebay don't care. They've done this before, been called on it, ordered to pay and still do the same things. that has to mean that the money makes it worth it.

It is criminal. No mistake about it.

Message 48 of 160
latest reply

Good morning CoffeBean and welcome to The Part Timers Forum. Neat ID!

"Paypal has been sued because of this before."

Yes they have, successfully I might add, as far back as 2002 and as recently as 2011 ... There have been a few in between and each seems to take 2-3 years to bring the case to closure. Stop back and let us know how you make out!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 49 of 160
latest reply

coffeebeans.607 : Do you have a link to prove if a class action suit has ever been won against PayPal/eBay?

I still stand by the fact that we all agreed to the terms set out by eBay/PayPal when we registered and future changes! And IF we didn't like the terms we had a choice not to register as we have a choice today to leave if we are not in agreement. Quit your constant complaining and adapt or quit and go to that mythical

perfect web site. X-(

Wise men speak because they have something to say: Fools speak because they have to say something. ~ Plato

Message 50 of 160
latest reply

AND  SOME  PEOPLE SPEAK  BECAUSE

THERE  A  EBAY      P   O   O   F    E     R 

Message 51 of 160
latest reply

ravensfan627
Enthusiast

As a buyer, i see it as a good thing. i just recently bought an item last friday and the item was never shipped. The seller had 45 of them for sale and sold every one of them at $20 a pop. He got $900.00 out of us and no one got their item and now he no longer has a ebay account.

Message 52 of 160
latest reply

68kane
Enthusiast

I can't recall having any funds held but I'm against it.

BTW, Paypal/Ebay can just take the funds back from whatever other verified avenues you have listed so they don't need to 'hold that money'.

I had a lady screw up tracking on an item (it was forwarded to her new address from the Paypal confirmed one). She filed a premature DNR claim, Paypal sided with her despite Tracking info showing item was delivered to the Paypal confirmed address and gave her a full refund. She immediately moved the funds like I warned Paypal she would but Paypal told me they have access to her accounts so don't worry about it. The tracking showed the item was forwarded to her new address so Paypal finally gave me back the money straight out of her checking account. I hope she bounced several checks too!  

Message 53 of 160
latest reply

krashing
Enthusiast

If anyone gets wind of a class action lawsuit, please post the information here. Count me in.

I was told my latest payment received - $22 - is on hold since I am a "new seller", which is not true. I've been selling here since 1999. That's 12 years if you're counting, Ebay.

Then, I was told that I didn't have enough seller feedback. Some of the earliest feedbacks apparently weren't counted since they were "archived" - someone in the trust and safety department found them and said my number should be fine.

Finally, I was told that since I had not had $250 in payments for the past 12 months, there would be a hold. Why wasn't this in effect on my account a month ago for my last auction, then? Why is this a magic number - wouldn't scammers be after more than $250, not less than $250? Oh yeah - I was told that the amount I had sold was $230 - less than they required by only $20. Talk about arbitrary!

As if I trust those numbers, anyway, considering Ebay can't read a feedback profile.

Why is someone with a 12-year history here, 121 positive feedbacks, and zero complaints in all that time... considered to be a scammer who must be stopped at all costs?

You've lost my business, Ebay. Not that you cared in the first place.

Message 54 of 160
latest reply

Well I am not a person to post in forums and never have been, but this topic has hit the nail on the head.

I am not a power seller on eBay I just sale the occasional item, I stopped selling on eBay about a year ½ ago when fees were too high and shipping had gone up.

Recently I listed two items for sale on eBay and one sold for $25 + $5 shipping, once the buyer paid for the item I printed a shipping label and paid for shipping through eBay/PayPal and it was given a tracking number.

Well I just logged into my PayPal account and it is saying the money is on hold for 21 days, I admit I only have listed 46 items on eBay with “100% positive feedback”. This is totally unacceptable I consider myself an honest person served in to wars and did my bit for God and country have always tried to do the right things in my life, by them holding this money it is like saying I am a thief without even knowing me.

eBay has this buyer protection program will if they are holding your money they can offer this kind of service without and liability to them, why does eBay just not be honest to the people they are advertising to by just saying we will refund your money because we are holding it till you decide if you like or want the item.

There is one thing for sure I will never list another item on eBay without first adding a term and conditions to any listing referring to refunds or returns.

According to my attorney as long as the listing contains “your” terms and conditions in the description saying there will be restock fees and/or payment fees deducted for returns they eBay cannot refund the total amount of the listing price as long as you abide by eBay’s Terms and Conditions.

This however will only last till eBay reviews there Terms and Conditions and changes them to not allow you to post your own Terms and Conditions in listing when that happen they will lose allot of bigger companies that now already use this type of listing.

I am not sure if I will use eBay again or not, but eBay if you by chance are monitoring these forums please keep in mind that there are allot of people out hear that are honest hard working people that are only trying to make a few bucks not millions and if you continue down this path of “everyone is dishonest until we say you’re not” you will fail.

Message 55 of 160
latest reply

c**s**r : Buyers will only shop where they feel safe in the brick and mortar world and in the cyber world. I have returned merchandise for no other reason than I tried it and didn't like the product and as long as I had the bill of sale I was politely and promptly refunded my money. Now considering the fact that with approximately 100 million registered users eBay/PayPal has written and continues to rewrite their policies because the landscape of business is constantly changing. There are not enough hours in a day to service each member individually. Read again post # 54 to understand the problem(s) that we all face as buyers and the reason for the 'buyer protection plan'. Not only that but credit card companies like American Express offer a 1 year warranty on all merchandise purchase with their card. No we don't like it but yes we understand it and as sellers in order to keep selling need to adapt here on eBay or in the brick and mortar world. Fortunately we have a choice at eBay/PayPal to adapt or leave and unfortunately in the real world we can only adapt to higher taxes, gasoline prices which drive up consumer products, etc, etc. I have tried selling at other venues of which 3 of them in 6 months produced no sales. And after checking into the river I found it to be much more regulated and expensive to sell on. Auction houses are charging up to 30% to sell your items with no reserve. Yard/garage sales bring out the people looking to buy $20 items for $2 or less. If you find a better place to sell please come back and tell all but I suspect if there was a better place we would all be there now. Good luck!

Message 56 of 160
latest reply

68kane
Enthusiast

@ artie-chicago

I basically agree that buyers feel safer in the brick and mortar stores but that 'Return because I didn't like it' option is part of the problem here on Ebay. People NOW feel they are entitled to a 'Try and Buy' period with all purchases and are exempt from knowing what the heck they're buying. As with most of society, they accept zero responsibility for their actions and want to feel 'safe' (let the Government protect me from myself); even with their purchases.

Gone are the days when you actually have to research something (via Consumer Reports, internet, etc..) before you buy it. Now you just Buy it, Try it and if you screwed up, Return it. Either they bought the wrong one, found a better price (didn't research it) or a just dumb and can't figure it out. Perhaps that last reason has something to do with their mentality of wanting everything done for them, including their thinking. 

Message 57 of 160
latest reply

artie-chicago: I am not sure for what reason you defend the actions of eBay and I really do not care, I am guessing you work for their public relations department which is why you have no listings or sales under your forum name hens you are not an average everyday trader on eBay so your comments are moot.

#1 I am not a big origination that sales millions of dollars of merchandise on eBay I am a person that lives in a small town right in the middle of the USA , I have a whole 45 trades on eBay, which all are positive.

#2 you can paint it however you want the 'buyer protection plan' is another way to make how you said it “Buyers feel safe”. EBay only offers this for one reason to make money period.

EBay states that they will hold sellers money for the following reasons.

•You have a limited selling history.

•You have a below standard rating in your Seller Dashboard.

•You started selling in a new category.

•Your account shows unusual activity such as a sudden increase of eBay Buyer Protection cases.

So that pretty much tells it all. holding money on every sale up to  21 days, unless you are a large company or power seller. In turn eBay has no liability for offering the 'buyer protection plan', take your 100 million registered users, each buy’s a $10 item $10x100 million put that in a bank account with interest, I think that is allot of incentive to hold peoples money for 21 days.

#3 you stated “we have a choice” but then you tried selling at other venues, so as buyers and sellers if we do nothing? how long will it be before eBay is like the others that you have been too I for one am already seeing it now, change is fine as long as it fare to the common person and not only big business.

Last but not least.

[Quote] “Unfortunately in the real world we can only adapt to higher taxes, gasoline prices which drive up consumer products”

Intelligence is a wonderful thing researching a product before you buy it is the smart thing to do, every time you buy a product and return it because it does not fit your needs it cost, who pays the consumer and the brick and mortar business which are closing buy the dozens every day.

I really have no more time to deal with this issue as it will do no good to complain and your comments falls on death ears anyway as this is all about money.

I will still buy on eBay with caution and Intelligence until something else comes along and it will I am sure of that.

Message 58 of 160
latest reply

BUMP!!! I comply with printing labels in a timely manner, provide tracking number, etc and the funds are held for 2 - 3 weeks!! This is CRAP!! Paypal/Ebay how many millions of dollars are you guys making by holding these funds from your sellers. The sellers are making you money in more ways than one!!! All these fees we have to pay and now you're holding our money. I've been selling on and off of Ebay for 10 years. This is BS!!! You are a publicly held company that is holding your sellers at hostage just to make your shareholders happy. By the way... I too am a shareholder and I am NOT happy!!!!

Message 59 of 160
latest reply

lilbizybee: 16% out of every dollar goes to eBay/PayPal which leaves you 84% to make a decent profit. That is 16% cost to sell world wide. A bargain when considered what a brick and mortar store owner pays. I speculate that many sellers do not have the backup funds if the buyer decides the merchandise is not acceptable and then it is PayPal that is required to make good on the transaction. With approximately 100 million registered users how many transactions go bad? I am darn sure it would not be acceptable under any circumstances that your company is to  pay for someone else's error.

Message 60 of 160
latest reply