cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal vs Bank Account

Am I not the only one not completely thrilled that we have to use our bank accounts instead of PayPal when we sell something?
One of the things I have always loved about PayPal is that it has always been made for getting paid online. Bank accounts are not.
I get an email from PayPal every time I sell something. I don't think I am going to get that from my bank. When I have someone buy multiple different items, I always combine the shipping which means that I need to issue a partial refund on shipping to buyers for combined shipping. It's super easy to do with PayPal, they're built for stuff like that. I have no idea how this is going to go using a bank account. 
Oh well, since we don't have a choice, I did go open a new separate checking account with my credit union yesterday. I'm still going to hold off a while on updating my payment info.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: PayPal vs Bank Account

I've already closed my ebay store and changed my profile information to direct customers to my Facebook page

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@jordanvalleycoinsncollectibles wrote:

I've already closed my ebay store and changed my profile information to direct customers to my Facebook page

And your profile information has nothing of the sort in it since you closed your store.  If I search for your listings, it tells me your ID does not exist.  I hope all your customers find you, but it is against eBay rules to link to other places you sell.  I got warned once simply for mentioning the other place I sell by name even though I was not directing people there.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

"

Why not give us sellers to choice to either use PayPal or switch to the bank?

"

They lost their contract with PayPal. So, like any other merchant, they needed a payment portal. They ultimately settled on using Adyen.

Love it, or not. They had to do something.

HTH

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

ebay having direct access to my bank account is NOT acceptable. I do not allow ANY company to automatically remove funds from any of my bank accounts. I will not sell on ebay for this reason alone.

If they lost their contract with PayPal too bad. They need to provide an alternative payment system or allow me to have another way of paying for any fees.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Don't like this new requirement at all. Here's some reasons why.

1.  I don't have immediate access to my own money from funds received when seller pays through PayPal. I have to wait for ebay to transfer to my bank account, which can take several days. That hurts my ability to have available funds for other things, and it is unfair to sellers. Ebay now has total control of my money, which is not their money.

2.  I have several auto-pay bills that come directly to PayPal for payment, and have done so for years and years.  Now I will have to transfer money from my bank account to PayPal several days before the billing is due to come out, which also takes a couple of days, then rely on having funds received from buyers arriving to my bank account in time to transfer to PayPal for the auto-payments to process. What a mess.

3.  If ebay has access to deposit funds into my bank account, they also have access to remove funds without my permission. Once again, messing with my bank account balance.

4. Having to give ebay my personal bank information puts me at greater risk for hackers. I NEVER pay for anything I purchase online by using my bank account or debit card. Never. I ALWAYS use PayPal for that, so since my PayPal account is now essentially useless unless I transfer money to PayPal from my bank account, I won't be purchasing items anymore on ebay or online unless I plan ahead to purchase it. No more "oh, I like that" and hitting "buy it now".  I'm going to have to open a new bank account for my personal banking, and leaving the one that's now attached to ebay as a stand alone account just for ebay, instead of leaving my direct deposit for my paycheck for my regular job attached to an account that is now essentially managed by ebay instead of myself. Thanks ebay. 

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for the smiles/laugh!

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

I have now opened an entirely new personal bank account to replace the one I've had since 1996, which I've now connected to ebay. I will transfer all funds deposited into the bank account from ebay to the new bank account immediately upon receipt to insure I have complete access to my manage my own money when I need it. I know. I'm sounding very negative about all of this. It's obvious I don't trust ebay with managing my payments (and my money), but well...they haven't been exactly fair with sellers in the past...you know, things like allowing buyers to leave negative feedback for sellers for any reason whatsoever, but not allowing sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers for any reason no matter how unscrupulous. And also siding unfairly with buyers over sellers when a dispute is filed. Such as the scammers in foreign countries that say they never received an item and get refunds, when there's no way for the sellers to prove anything other than it was shipped, since tracking doesn't show once it's out of the USA. Yeah, that leaves us without the item to relist, while refunding the cost of the item plus shipping. Yes, it's going to be so much fun now that ebay has taken complete control of our money. I guess ebay is now a bank. Not a happy camper here.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

I sure wish people would let theses pity party threads die and quit dredging them up.  This thread  is almost 6 months old. Give it a break. 

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

I see a lot of people on facebook marketplace selling now...I may just start selling there myself, but you can't open a store there, can you? 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I stopped selling on etsy when they started managing the payments. I still have my store, but nothing listed there. 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I feel exactly the same way, and I stopped selling on etsy a couple of years ago when they did the managed payment thing. What I did with this is attached my bank account but then opened up a new one and will only use the one I have hooked to ebay for ebay.  I will also transfer funds to the other account immediately after they post, and leave a minimum balance in that account. Don't like the idea of anyone else but myself managing my money. And since they don't do the PayPal anymore for us and I can't access my money immediately when buyers pay, I won't be buying on ebay anymore, either. I've bought so much inventory from other sellers...but moving forward I'll start sourcing from thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales more, and possibly open another store somewhere else. I kept the etsy store I had, but don't have anything listed there and haven't since they required the managed payments.  I might just let my current inventory ride in my ebay store and eventually stop paying for and having the store if I can find somewhere else I'm happy with to sell my vintage items. 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

If you use the same name you have on your ebay store elsewhere, and someone searches for your store by that name on google, it will bring you up.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply