cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My stuff barely gets any bids...

Ok. I've sold some things in Ebay here and there for 20 years. I always look at past sales to see if my item is worth listing. Vintage toys, games and electronics are my nitch.

So as an example. I search past sold listings, and see an item sell for $50-75 numerous times.

So I lost mine. Take good photos, type up a good description. Figure up accurate shipping. And put a starting bid on it. Always no reserve.

I put my starting bid at the minimum that I'd be willing to sell the item for.

I usually don't accept returns. Maybe I should?

I rarely do free shipping because I don't want to have to raise my starting bid enough to cover the worst case shipping cost.

I look at some of the sold listings and they tend to be very similar to mine.

Something else that bothers me.

I think eBay gives way too much search preference to big sellers. I searched for a couple of my items, and sorted by distance, and they were nowhere to be found.

Kindof **bleep** me off that someone who may need some Fox Body Mustang seats here in town can search, and they may not even show up in his results.

Any thoughts?

Anyone have similar experiences?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

And when stuff does sell, it's usually for the one and only bid.

My old toys and stuff used to get ten bids on it easily.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Ebay has a faint heartbeat. It's a matter of time before it completely fails.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I think eBay now has around 85% BIN listings. The auctions are dying down. Some categories do very well with auctions, others not so much.
With this being the I want it yesterday world, people don’t want to wait for an auction to end.
With setting your auctions at the price you want may only get one bid.
You may try promoting your auctions on social media to get more eyes on your listings.
Make sure you fill out as many item specifics as possible and use keywords that your buyers would use when searching.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Is there a demand for 80's common electronics or old computer peripherals? Saw another seller with Macase speakers for $20.00 BIN and $16.00 Standard Shipping. You may be overestimating the demand and value for your "Vintage" items. Also, only use Auctions for in demand items that will generate bids.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I'll admit I'm taking a shot on those speakers. Didn't find any completed listings for those.

As for the rest of the vintage electronics. I found some old Apple keyboards that sold for twice what my starting bid is on that one.

And the other old keyboards were an item that one of the youtubers mentioned about things to resell on Ebay. Found it cheap, and tossed it up there...

I have sold a couple VCR / DVD combos for some pretty good profits, but they still only sold for the starting bid.

And the vintage alarm clocks. I sold another identical to the one listed now, and it sold for the same amount. I'm pretty happy having a bid on this one this early, but I'm not counting on getting a lot more bids.

Some of the car parts. I've searched for them, and sorted by distance, and they don't show up in my results.

I do not get that. That is extremely unfair. Especially bigger items like seats that someone would be excited to find within driving distance.

I am adding a couple things to my listings to try out.

I'm adding international shipping.

I'm also going to change to accepting returns. Even though I'll most likely just do partial refunds, or something if there are any issues.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply