cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do buyers have to respond to open case after seller offers refund?

Excuse me if this is already answered but I've got a question pertaining to the new "open case whenever buyer sends a message marked item not as described" policy.  Just had my first one and I'm about 99% sure the buyer didn't mean to open the case.  Claimed a 300 dollar quilt was stained (the quilt was factory sealed wrapped in plastic no way was it used by anyone but fair enough, it could have been damaged pre package) and told me I should have "sold it for about 150."  I interpreted that as "you should offer me a 150 dollar discount" (lol).  So I sent a polite response through the resolution center apologizing, explaining the new ebay policy about automatically opening cases when sending SNAD messages in case it was, as I suspect, unintentional, and offering a free return shipping label (this is my standard policy when buyer claims damage, I get so few returns that, as of now, I can afford to do this and it's better than eating negs).  Then I clicked the authorize return for full refund button, then send one more message telling the buyer that if she agrees to a return I will gladly send her the free return label.  

We're approaching 24 hours now and buyer has yet to respond.  She may or may not respond but my question is, for buyers who never wanted to return but were fishing for discounts, when they open these cases accidentally by sending SNAD messages how long do they have to respond once the seller takes the appropriate action (authorize return for full refund etc)?  I can see the discount fishers realizing that their fishing expeditions are now being monitored through a case and just ignoring the case after that, will the case automatically be closed in the seller's favor in a certain amount of time?  

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: How long do buyers have to respond to open case after seller offers refund?

@bluemountainretailers wrote:

Without more details, it's hard to say, but first off - it's probably not fair, but that's not really relevant.  As far as getting it removed, there's very little chance of that unless he threatened you with bad feedback unless you gave him a refund . . . sorry, that's just the way it is sometimes.

That's not entirely true at all... There is such a thing as an ebay "form" that you can send to your buyer, it's called something along the lines of a "mutual agreement to revise feedback form".  It wouldn't REMOVE it, but IF your buyer agreed (and he has 3 days to do so I beleive), than he would be able to REVISE the neg to either neutral or pos, and a new remark.  Look at my feedback, over 3,000 in 6+ years, and NO negative, only 1 neutral..  That's because over the years I've had THREE negative feedbacks removed.. One bc the seller had JUST opened their account the day prior, bought a custom coin from me for over $200, never paid, than left neg feedback.  I called ebay, first person said basically "too bad"... I called back 5 minutes later, spoke to someone else, and they got it removed... The other two removals were from me sending the form to the buyer, explaining that the feedback rating is my livelihood on Ebay, explained that it was simply a human error that RARELY happens with me (both cases were matters of me sending the wrong coin by mistake, but I returned the buyers money in full both times, and sent them the right coin, as well as let them keep the one they had - after verifying I sent the wrong one with a photo of course).. Point is, with persistance, and persaverance, it can definitely be done!!  I do almost 6 figures a year on Ebay, and while I DEFINITELY disagree with a TON of changes they've made over the years NOT in the favor of the seller, it still remains a venue that I am able to sell my niche product, and make a good part-time living doing it!

@bluemountainretailers wrote:

Without more details, it's hard to say, but first off - it's probably not fair, but that's not really relevant.  As far as getting it removed, there's very little chance of that unless he threatened you with bad feedback unless you gave him a refund

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

billy_biggle_fan wrote:

Shafted?  Maybe.  But I'll take selling on eBay over opening another retail storefront any day.

Yeah some buyers are crooks.  But if you plan ahead for a certain % of loss, you should be fine financially.  And if you take some basic steps to protect yourself, losses can be minimized.

It's been my experience that there are just as many bad buyers on eBay as there are in B&M sales.  A lot of people don't expect this; particularly if they've never managed a retail operation before.  So it can come as a shock.

Belive me, it's worse if you have a physical store and hire employees.

By far, the #1 reason I've fired people over the years, is theft.

The biggest labor cost aside from wages, benefits, taxes, and other accounting expenses, is theft.

Most people who steal from a store, work for that store; by nearly a 3-to-1 ratio if I remember the latest stats correctly.

Think about it, you're hiring a stranger whose true intent you don't know, and who has access to both your money and inventory.

(Good employees are like solid gold.  Which is why it amazes me how many companies don't try to keep them through good wages and benefits.)

So yeah, eBay sucks, is a greedy corporation, cares only about the money, and blah blah blah.  But comparitevely, they're not so bad.  Most sellers here don't have employees to worry about.  Taking some basic precautions can prevent most problems.  That's how the PowerSellers do it.

And eBay does offer some protections for sellers.  Negative feedback left by a buyer after a Buyer Protection case is won by the seller is removed automatically, for example.

Anyway, I'm done writing for now.

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say that I needed to hear this today... Not having worked in retail, it helps to know that whatever struggles I may have on Ebay are small in comparison to other ways of selling.  Thanks, Angie

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@billy_biggle_fan wrote:

It's been my experience that there are just as many bad buyers on eBay as there are in B&M sales.  A lot of people don't expect this; particularly if they've never managed a retail operation before.  So it can come as a shock.

Yep, I know I'm bumping an old thread, but this is true.  Had one yesterday.  Bought a Marshall amplifier a little over two months ago.  Claimed he bougt it in the last couple weeks.  That was a provable lie, our point of sale system keeps track of sales history.  Last one of that model we sold was, as I mentioned, just over two months ago.  And it had this guy's name on the ticket.  Guy wants to return the amp for a refund because "his child just didn't play it". 

We explain nicely that we aren't Walmart or Musician's Friend/Guitar Center (these two are actually the same company, and are also the "standard" that most customers seem to hold as the example to match) and that in fact MF/Guitar Center only have a 30 day return window or in certain cases a 45 day, and that this is well past both of those.  Also, we have a sign on our counter that's been there and dated for as long as we have been open that says we only do exchanges, no cash refunds.   The guy then claims that "you can still sell it for new, I have the box and papers and everything".  The owner responds that we aren't dishonest and therefore, no, we cannot/WILL not do something like that to our customers.  Rusty then gets the idea to try to plug it in and see if it actually is OK, at which point the customer gets really nervous and it's obvious he doesn't want us to plug it in...(i.e. it most likely does not work and the customer or his son did something to it) eventually the customer just leaves with the amp, which I'm guessing isn't working, but we never did find out.  You get a LOT of this in this day and age.  We have people bring in stuff pretty much about once a week, thinking they can do what this guy wanted to do. 

Another example:  I have an amp behind the counter that a guy bought last christmas and it isn't working.  I open it up to look under the lid, and I find that the guy has wrapped wire around the switch so that it is ALWAYS on, no matter what position the switch is in... why would you do that?  Turns out, after looking around inside the amp, there's a spot on the bottom of the cabinet about 2 inches across where the wood has been wet, so he's spilled something in the amp's control section.  This is proven when I pull the knobs off the top of the amp and discover dirt and dust that has been caked around the controls from whatever he spilled being sticky and making a "dirt goo" which is now in and around the controls.  ALL the switches in the control section are gummy and not working right.  I used about half a can of DeOxit and managed to get about half the switches working.  The others, it didn't help.  This guy wants the amp "replaced under warranty".  Yeah, sure, buddy.  I'm pretty sure that wiring around the switch voids the warranty.  He has never shown up to pick it up after I called him and left a message asking what he spilled in the amp, and explaining that this most likely voided the warranty, and that whoever wired the switch contacts together DID in fact void the warranty, since that is considered an act of modifying the amp's circuits.  I asked him to please call us and let us know how he wanted us to proceed, and that we could send it in to the manufacturer if he wants, or we could send it to our local service guy, who is also authorized for repairs on this brand, but considering what I found in the amp, he would be responsible for shipping costs.  We haven't heard back from the guy.....

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

They get 5 days now which i.m.o is way to long. After the past 2 items i bought on ebay i am done with ebay and i will stick to my amazon prime from now on. Ebay is garbage !!!

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

That policy does not seem fair. That's pretty much saying "Buy & pay for something, put in for a return and you will get your money back & keep the item for free." That is ludicrous. I just don't feel its fair to refund someones money for an item that I have no doubt in my mind that is the pattern I sold it as or the description that I put it as and the proof is in the pictures.  It cost me almost $10 to ship- Priority no less! So between fees, shipping, and RETURN shipping, the price the buyer paid and the original cost of the item I am out about $60. I just don't understand the logic. I am a fair seller that does not try to "cover up" anything in my selling, if there's a flaw- I note it, if I find out I've listed something incorrectly- I fix it. Obviously honesty does not account for anything. Last of all, if I am wrong, or something is damaged, or I have made a true mistake I refund the customer and have even fell to the mercy of customers asking for a "partial refund" for whatever reason to avoid a negative feedback.  By the way, I am also a buyer and would always think of contacting the seller first if there were a problem. Thanks for letting me have my "rant", just a little bit upset at the moment and shaking my head.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply