cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a hard of hearing senior contact Ebay for help?

I'm 85 yrs old, hard of hearing and not to adept at typing rapidly.

Does ebay have an email address for people like us, or do they not want our business?

In the past, I had some to help me; now I liove alone.

My immediate problem is: I cant delete a years old email address.

When I try, it requires a new address.

When I put inmy new address. I am told that  it already exists, (I know that, its mine)

Does ebay ever delete old obsolete data from their files?

Jack

jpiercesr@yahoo.com

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Please click on options button lower left of your message here, click on inappropriate content ( or something) type in please remove my email address.

This is a public forum and anyone can see your email address now.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@jlpiercesr  Hi, jlpiercesr, love is right, not a good idea to post your personal email address on a public board, however there is a way to access eBay for the hard of hearing:  Go to Help & Contact at the top of eBay pages, click on "Contact Us", choose the category. When you get a PIN and phone number you will see a message that tells you what to do if you are hard of hearing.

"If you're deaf, hard of hearing, or speech-impaired, contact us through an IP-Relay service."

If you aren't familiar with an IP-Relay service, the link will give you the details:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/internet-protocol-ip-relay-service

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I don't have any options at all at Ebay and over the years they have made it abundantly clear they could care less about my situation.

I am profoundly deaf and don't even own a phone though I do use a PC which works everywhere except ebay.

They INSIST I show a phone number and if I make up one, they are able to tell.   I wrote to a seller to ask some questions and ebay I think kicked me off because I signed it with my email address after telling the seller I was profoundly deaf.

No one reads anything at ebay and everything is computerized so as a result I who was looking for a very good watch now will not be able to purchase it.

The deaf really aren't welcome at ebay and it's just time to accept it and move on

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If you don't have a phone, try google voice, it's free.
ebay has services for hearing impaired, following the info hidy-hoo gave.
You can send and receive messages through ebay message system, no need to give the seller your real email address. You may have gotten a violation, but your not kicked off. The seller may have blocked you thinking you wanted to do an off ebay transaction.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@heleholme-28  Yes, what love said ^^^up there.  You can access the options for the deaf by clicking on the help and contact button.

Read this link about how to use a computer to reach out without the use of a telephone ~ I believe it will give you a "pin" number that you can use like a phone number.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/ip-relay-service

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I'll give it a try but our State dumped the relay system and for my needs I don't see the point in having to buy an expensive phone and an outside monthly service.   Really only ebay seems to be the problem and I can live without them especially in light of their lack of concern for the deaf.   Oh, and ditto Apple who for some reason thinks that all deaf people use sign language and that just isn't true.

I will read that FCC paper and also copy it but at this point now that I seem to have been banned by ebay, just think it would be wiser to move on.   We were promised in 2010 that the FCC by 2013 would make sure we had completely equal access to what the hearing do and on a level playing field.  Just hasn't happened and yet  I expect it will when the much larger boomer generation ages and demands better service from those who refrain from doing the right thing now.

Glad to hear the FCC is providing a work around and when the person who set up this computer is around, I will see if together we can make it work.  Won't be in time for what would be a battle royal with ebay to get myself un-banned on this long holiday weekend.

Just so depressed that I want to stay away from ebay.   To ban someone who put the truth in words that of course no one read and who forces us to make up phone numbers just to sign up probably isn't the way I want to live my life.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply