cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers contacting sellers about ending a listing early so they win it.

I have just started to sell on ebay again after a few years of doing only buying on ebay. I have had a few buyers contact me about sending them offers through a ebay message or adjusting the buy it now so they can get it. At first I didn't think it was an issue since they where the only one interested in the item and it was close to the starting bid.

But now I am getting people asking me to allow them to place a buy it now for around the current bid that they placed to end the listing early and also asking me to end the listing and send them a link to the new listing with a buy it now. I cant find anything in ebays policies about this but it doesn't seem right to me.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I would just tell them 'I would like to just ride out the auction as perhaps someone is willing to pay more. After all, that is the point of an auction, for buyers to bid and sell to the highest bidder'

I see you have both Buy It Now (hopefully you've check marked the 'immediate payment required' ) and Auctions so I assume you want 'bidding' on the auction items and not just sell at the first bid? 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

NEVER end auctions early at the request of a bidder. Your item is obviously valuable or rare.  Do NOT end the listing. You will be hurting yourself.  An ethical seller would never end an ad early at the request of the buyer. Tell the buyer that you do not end listings.  Tell them to put in their best bid and see if they win.  If they continue to pester you, go ahead and block them.

Also don't believe some of the excuses that theygive you to try to get you to end it early.  Examples.. "I am going on vacation."   "I will be at work.'   I need it for my grandson Billy for his birthday." ALL lies. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply