cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants return - Please Advise

Just curious what I should do here....

A guy bought some subwoofers with the box from me. I took a video of them working flawlessly before i boxed them up and shipped. Now a few days after he received them, he is saying one of them is blown. He sent me a very poor quality video of the subs, but i can't really see whats going on. He wants a full refund - but i'm not positive that he didn't just blow the speaker when he plugged it in. 

If i do end up having to do a case for this, can i require that he provide pictures/videos in better quality actually showing that the product is defective? Is it worth it or will ebay just side with him anyway?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@camstaf-0

Sorry this happened.

Selling an over $300 item is not advised for new sellers. 

If the buyer opens a case, buyers aren’t responsible to provide pictures or videos.

They want you to work it out with your buyer. 

MBG trumps your no return policy. 

Let us know if they open a case and if it’s eBay, PayPal or a CC Chargeback.

Dont do anything like give partial refund.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

So you're saying don't give a partial refund? Is there a chance they will file for the rest of the refund later anyway, or does that close that avenue down?

The box and remaining subwoofer are intact and functioning.. The issue is I am just selling this one time - i'm not a business or anything. If I give him the full refund i'm going to be out the shipping fees + my item, because it won't be worth it to have him ship it back to me..

Its seeming like i may just be out of luck here...
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

It’s your choice what you want to do.
You can tell them to return for full refund, get your FVF back. Is it repairable?

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

eBay is gonna side with him.  Your just gonna have to give him the shipping, subs & box for free.

It's what I like to call Freebaying!  He will be boooooming his free signed sealed & delivered eBay sound system in no time.   

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Half possible.
Buyer hasn’t opened a case yet.
Seller/OP doesn’t have to let them keep the item. Yes he will be out shipping both ways depending on if and who the buyer decides to open a case with, or if they do.

I would not just give a partial. If it’s worth keeping, it’s worth paying for.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I decided to hardball it.. I'm offering the full refund with return - but i'll be surprised if he actually ships it back. I think he has already disposed of the packaging I sent it in, and if I get it back with everything busted, I think I have a case of my own then.

So we will see. Either he buys his own packing material and it gets to me safely, he breaks something shipping it back to me, or asks for a partial refund.

If i get the one sub + box back in good condition, i can sell for at least the cost of the shipping and make my money back there (not through ebay, lmao).

When i spoke to an ebay rep he kind of hinted that if i received the items back broken they could step in and help me. Not really sure what this entails, but either way the situation sucks. Live and learn though.
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

So another question i just had - the buyer did open a case through ebay for the return. If it doesnt work out for him one way or another, can he open a paypal case for the same thing?
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Yes he can open a PayPal case if he loses the eBay case, which I’m pretty sure he will win.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Jeez.. well then i hope i get my stuff back in 1 piece. Thanks for your help
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

You’re welcome
Prepare for the worse, but hope for the best.
Wishing you luck.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

So.. to add to the fun.. When I accepted the return, eBay offered me a shipping label for the return - the price of the label was cheaper than I paid to ship it, so i accepted it (it did not say who it would ship through or anything).

Come to find out, they chose USPS. The buyer dropped the item off at USPS and claims they accepted it, but I know USPS will only ship < 70 lbs, and the package is 88lbs.. Not sure if they are making an exception by accepting the package or if it will just sit there for a while and eventually be rejected.

This just keeps getting better!
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

On the sold listing, it shows $50 USPS Priority Mail. If it was 88lbs, how did you ship it?

Sorry if you said. I didn’t reread the thread.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Hmm.. I shipped it via UPS, but I had to call and have eBay change it after it had sold. I just charged a flat fee of 50.00 for shipping (i figured about half). I ended up printing a UPS label through eBay though for shipping on my end.

I suppose that is maybe why it defaulted to USPS rather than UPS, since they changed it sort of behind the scenes afterwards.
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I’m trying to get an answer for you. It may take longer today with the sales tax news everyone is discussing.

I think I know that eBay uses 1st class return labels, doesn’t matter the weight. Getting that confirmed.
I don’t know about the 88lb issue though.
Do you have the tracking number?

Message 15 of 25
latest reply