cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fees & Financials

We continue to look for ways to improve our marketplace to help you manage your business more efficiently, accelerate your sales velocity, and bring more buyers to you. For example, we recently launched spendable funds, a new way for you to pay for items on eBay using proceeds from your sales, and introduced additional payment options for higher priced items.

To help support changes we’re making to our marketplace that benefit all eBay users, we're increasing some final value fees. At the same time, we’re decreasing the cost of some optional listing upgrades that give buyers more purchase options and make it easier for you to manage your listings.

We’re also expanding the fee credit we give you when you provide great service by fully refunding a buyer’s return. And as we continue to roll out eBay International Shipping, we handle the international logistics for you at no additional cost, while also waiving the International fee for sellers.

Edit: Please ensure that all questions and comments remain on topic. Any off topic posts will be moved to the appropriate board, so they can be answered by Community Members.

Please allow us 24-48 hours to provide an answer to your question.  

Message 1 of 190
latest reply
189 REPLIES 189

Re: Fees & Financials

Amen to that.👍

Message 181 of 190
latest reply

eBay is customer-centric. Sellers are merely tools for eBay to collect fees and %s. They simply do what they choose no matter how unfair or callous it comes off for sellers. I have been selling here a very long time and I have had so many issues with them that I even contacted the CEO's office twice. They listened then. But these new fees and such -- forget it. It's just business as usual.  The juggernaut rolls on right over us...

Message 182 of 190
latest reply

@movieman630 wrote:

Simply solved.  Stop charging for shipping and use "Free Shipping".  Why should those of us who use "Free Shipping" pay more in FVF then people who charge $50.00 on shipping for a 1.00 listing?

@movieman630 

The fees should be the same unless you did not increase the price of your item to accommodate for adding the shipping in.

For example:

Product $25 and shipping $10 = $35 x 12.9 = $4.51

Product $35 with free shipping x 12.9% = $4.51

The only way you could be saving money on the FVFs is if you did not add your shipping costs into your product price and of course that means you are paying much more than when you paid fees on the shipping.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 183 of 190
latest reply

I know.  But they're saying they shouldn't be charged fees on shipping charges.  And I'm saying if they didn't charge fees on shipping charges you'd still have people selling something for $1.00 and charging $50 for Shipping to avoid those fees. 

So what's the point of charging shipping separately?  Just add it in and do Free Shipping.

Message 184 of 190
latest reply

@movieman630 wrote:

AND  Ebay is filing your sales tax in all 50 states on your behalf.  They should get paid for that service, no?  I certainly am grateful to not have to file sales tax in all 50 states on my own! 

Not all 50 states charge sales tax.  There is about a half dozen that have no sales tax.

This isn't an either or thing.  Ebay is required by law to collect and remit sales tax.  Whether they charge us a FVF on sales tax has nothing to do with it at all.  If they stopped charging us FVF on sales tax, sellers would not suddenly be responsible for collecting and remitting sales tax to all the states that require it.

It should also be known that Ebay is paid by the states for this service.  Whether it is via a percentage off when they remit the taxes or something else.  The states pay them and that is how it should be as it is their laws that are requiring them to collect these taxes.

And just a bit of added info, Etsy nor Amazon charge a fee on sales tax.

Message 185 of 190
latest reply

@ameri_can wrote:

Yes but then I get charged from ebay for tax and then when I ship and yes it is subtracted from total sale.   Ebay should only take the tax if they are actually shipping the item.  To charge tax for a service that you are not actually doing is stealing; plain and simple; unless you're giving it to whom is doing the service...

That isn't how it works.  Ebay does NOT determine when sales tax is due on shipping charges EVER.  It is the laws of the State that is being shipped into that decides how sales tax is handled.  So if you want to fight this, you need to take it up with the states that require sales tax on shipping.

Sales Tax on shipping.JPG

Message 186 of 190
latest reply

@ameri_can wrote:

You're absolutely correct...  Stuff like that needs to be monitored and dealt with...  I'm paying international fees for people who registed a "foreign" address but shipping is in the US... I personaly think it's genius for those that get away with it but don't make the seller pay the international fee... Another thing on ebay that is just stupid...

Then it was when we used PayPal as our money processor as we paid this fee to PP too.  We have all been paying it for a couple of decades or more.  This is not new.

Message 187 of 190
latest reply

@movieman630 wrote:

I know.  But they're saying they shouldn't be charged fees on shipping charges.  And I'm saying if they didn't charge fees on shipping charges you'd still have people selling something for $1.00 and charging $50 for Shipping to avoid those fees. 

So what's the point of charging shipping separately?  Just add it in and do Free Shipping.

I'm not sure who "they" is, but back when Ebay made this change it was one of the reasons they used for changing.  The other was it is industry standard.  And it is.  Etsy and Amazon both do.  It is likely that other similar sites do as well.

And I've explained to you.  Doing Free Shipping correctly does not reduce your FVFs at all.  You still pay FVFs on your shipping with Free Shipping because the cost should have been rolled into your purchase price.

For what you are after to work, Ebay would have to stop charging the FVF on shipping.  Sellers would have to use stated shipping on all listings and no one use Free Shipping anymore.  

Message 188 of 190
latest reply

This same policy really burns me too. Should be fees for the total of a single item. I've been rooked by the same issue.

Message 189 of 190
latest reply

Hello everyone

We're closing this board from further questions and replies. We will continue to work with our internal teams to make sure outstanding questions are addressed next week. If you have additional questions, please start a new thread and tag the community team.

Have a good weekend!

Message 190 of 190
latest reply