cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

As you know, fees vary across categories as eBay always strives to achieve lowest total fees across category competitors. Starting on March 1, 2022, final value fees for Store sellers and those without a store will increase slightly. You can learn more about that here, or review the fee comparison chart here. Feel free to ask any questions below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 2.9.

Message 1 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

Re: Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

With the booming new platforms such as shopify and others, do you really think it is wise to raise prices? These other platforms are making it much easier for serious sellers to leave eBay and run their own operations. They do not need to learn how to develop a web site. The fees are substantially cheaper and there are a plethora of apps to cover everything from taxes, shipping, and advertising.

YOU SHOULD BE LOWERING FEES!

You will eventually price yourselves out of the market.

You will turn away the big money producers!

Re-Think this move.

Message 196 of 222
latest reply

@rugerskick wrote:

Its immoral to do so.  It is most likely illegal as well. That money is not the sellers.  In the past ebay did not do this, they knew it wasn't the sellers money.

@rugerskick 

Many posters have said the same or similar stuff since Ebay started this in August of 2021.  But when we ask ANY of those posters WHAT law is Ebay breaking, they never come back with an answer.  They like to sling it out there but they don't or can't back it up.  So why say something that is unlike true?  And if true, please post a link to the law.

That doesn't mean I like FVFs on sales tax any better than anyone else, because I absolutely don't.  but that isn't my point.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 197 of 222
latest reply

@shado-x wrote:

I believe items will be selling much higher in the medium term; hence, the very small raise in FVF where we all win.  Moreover with the higher FVF fees, maybe eBay can invest to allow sellers to have access of previous sales pages for 6 months, rather than the current 90 days.  I would want eBay to just dump the $0.10 schedule listing fee----it is the only burden for me and I would pay the higher FVF fees to get rid of that.  I'd rather schedule listings, go to bed, wake up to a bunch of sales without a $6.00 listing fee (for 60 items).  Currently, I schedule listings and then one-by-one, use the bulk listing tool and list them live, then go to bed, wake up to a bunch of sales....lol).

Oh well, to those PO'd, I don't need all that competition!  Record 2020, and 2021 was 15% better for me!  2022 even better, I think.

@shado-x 

You can get that sales information in your MP reports.  There you can set your timeframe and download the report.  Seller Hub, hover over the Payment Tab, from the drop down menu select Reports.

Message 198 of 222
latest reply

I said most likely illegal.  Perhaps borderline illegal may be more accurate.

Let me explain why.  Because they are lying about the size of the percentage increase to people by adding in the tax amount into the FVF.  

before the fvf was calculated off item cost + shipping + .30 listing fee at a higher percentage

but if you add in "+ state taxes" to the final value fee, the number goes up, but then they claim to drop the percentage rate, they claim you're now being charged less - true for the rate, but not true because you end up paying more

all they have to do is keep raising fvf rates in the future and any perceived savings are gone

half truth, though.  because the majority of sellers have not seen decreases in their fvf amounts, it went up

and then drop paypals % processing fee but add back in ebays % processing fee and sellers are worse off than before

Message 199 of 222
latest reply

@rugerskick wrote:

I said most likely illegal.  Perhaps borderline illegal may be more accurate.

Let me explain why.  Because they are lying about the size of the percentage increase to people by adding in the tax amount into the FVF.  

before the fvf was calculated off item cost + shipping + .30 listing fee at a higher percentage

but if you add in "+ state taxes" to the final value fee, the number goes up, but then they claim to drop the percentage rate, they claim you're now being charged less - true for the rate, but not true because you end up paying more

all they have to do is keep raising fvf rates in the future and any perceived savings are gone

half truth, though.  because the majority of sellers have not seen decreases in their fvf amounts, it went up

and then drop paypals % processing fee but add back in ebays % processing fee and sellers are worse off than before

STill what law?  And if it is illegal or borderline illegal for Ebay does that also hold true for PayPal, every Credit card company and other money processors that charge their rates on the sales tax?

They aren't lying about the increase.  It is simply math.  The increase is as they stated it is and the FVF structure is as it has been since most have entered MP.  

What you are talking about was what the FVF was calculated on BEFORE we went into MP.  And you are correct it was different then and was never including sales tax.  That CHANGED in August of 2020.  They announced it.

At that time some sellers were in MP and some weren't.  FVF on sales tax did NOT happen until the seller entered MP after August of 2020.  

The fees in MP have NOT increased overall fees. The following numbers represent those that do not have a store and the fee rate for most common categories [not all].  This is BEFORE the new FVF increase.

Fees BEFORE going into MP
10.20% FVF + 2.9% PP fees = 13.10% plus 30 cent per transaction fee.

In MP the fees are:
10.20% FVF + 2.35% money processing fee paid to MP = 12.55% plus a 30 cent per transaction fee.

Starting August 2nd, PayPal is raising their fees, so they will be as follows:
10.20 Ebay FVF + 3.49 PP Fee = 13.69% plus .49 cent Per Transaction fee

PP is apparently offering different fees to different sellers, likely depending on size. From what I've seen it is between 2.59% and 3.49%.

Message 200 of 222
latest reply

Not to mention it's not just the fee increase on the item.  eBay is already getting a higher percentage every time there is a rate increase in USPS/Shipping Costs, and add on top of that the  taxes. 

Message 201 of 222
latest reply

I feel like it might be a move to push out the "low value" buyers, which also makes me a "low value" seller.  I don't deal in designer items, expensive sports cards, sneakers, etc.  I'm mostly in the collectibles category.  My average item sold is around $22.  I don't like the elitest turn that the company seems to be taking.  

Message 202 of 222
latest reply

Yes.  I am a low volume seller and upgraded from starter to basic so that I could get the $25 shipping supply coupon.  But since that is supposed to last the whole quarter and supplies have gotten more expensive, it really doesn't go very far.  

Message 203 of 222
latest reply

Very well written.  This says exactly what I wanted to say and more.  I'm not wanting to leave the platform but I am branching out because I am worried for the future of reselling on this platform, for sellers like me.  I don't know if we are welcome here any longer.  I know as it stands now my items do have more visibility on eBay but I've had good success with other places I have tried as well.  Time will tell.

Message 204 of 222
latest reply

@shado-x wrote:

I believe items will be selling much higher in the medium term; hence, the very small raise in FVF where we all win.  Moreover with the higher FVF fees, maybe eBay can invest to allow sellers to have access of previous sales pages for 6 months, rather than the current 90 days.  I would want eBay to just dump the $0.10 schedule listing fee----it is the only burden for me and I would pay the higher FVF fees to get rid of that.  I'd rather schedule listings, go to bed, wake up to a bunch of sales without a $6.00 listing fee (for 60 items).  Currently, I schedule listings and then one-by-one, use the bulk listing tool and list them live, then go to bed, wake up to a bunch of sales....lol).

Oh well, to those PO'd, I don't need all that competition!  Record 2020, and 2021 was 15% better for me!  2022 even better, I think.

Why would you schedule BIN listings?

They do seem to have a different audience.  I have a large lot of Rei Ayanamei dolls that sell like crazy on Mercari and no interest on eBay.  Maybe a younger audience?  My neices, college age, tell me they don't shop on eBay, they use Instagram and other platforms.

Message 206 of 222
latest reply

I agree with the problem of categories being eliminated from a collectibles category such as postcards.  Shoppers do not like browsing the way the item specifics are set up.  Too many unrelated results.  I am a former programmer and have also created databases for companies and one problem with the item specifics is when the buyer checks the options it can eliminate your listing even though it may be relevent to what the buyer is looking for.  

Message 207 of 222
latest reply

The only thing eBay is committed to is selling short hard working sellers who have dedicated their everything for years and years and years to this platform while they raise rates, tell you they care while you get less and less and you lose more and more now my business over 13 years.  They say they are upgrading things and suddenly more things are not functional, are eliminated or just lost in error, sorry it's not you, it's us.  What a joke.  No more customer service, but you little scrub can continue to pay more and more and more.  eBay wants kitchy trendy hipster items that miss the mark and eBay wants the seller to offer these items at $1.00 with free shipping and free 60 day returns while eBay now takes the money, trades on the money while they hold the money and then you get next to nothing in the end.   eBay does not want everyday businesses, eBay absolutely hates mom and pop, eBay does NOT want you to succeed, only for them to get rich and for you to get taken until you have lost everything.   eBay wants the Rich and Famous and Trendy and Fads, eBay is not committed to anything other than greed and lining the pockets of the executives.  Big news.  Rich people don't buy used Gucci or used 'sneakers' and nobody calls them 'sneakers' anyway.  How embarrassing and at the cost of the very livelihoods of countless business people that put everything in to succeed only to be taken and left.  eBay will continue to FAIL.  Change my mind.

Message 208 of 222
latest reply

You need to LOWER fees not raise them.  You are losing market share, the number of items being sold on eBay is decreasing, sellers are leaving, you are forcing me to find other venues and sites to list my items on.  I am now forced to list my items elsewhere - how is this helping eBay?  I have more options than ever, it is a shame because I would prefer to put most of my items up on one site - eBay, but your decisions and policies are forcing to go elsewhere.  This does not hurt me, it makes my business stronger: I will make more money by paying lower fees elsewhere, I spread my listings on more sights so all my eggs are not in one basket and it by having my items listed on multiple sites they are more likely to get seen, and more likely to get sold and sold faster, all this means is that there is another website that is earning fees off my work.  Hopefully you will change your ways and make it easier and more profitable for Sellers to work WITH eBay, not FOR eBay.  We can all make money together but your current policy directions and short sighted and greedy.  We can all make more money by selling MORE items - raising fees is the lazy way.  Selling more items is a better way for all parties, eBay, sellers and buyers.  

Message 209 of 222
latest reply

@ez-collectibles wrote:

Will the 'Additional Fixed Price Free Insertions in Select Categories' continue past July, 2022?   Will 'Select Categories' be expanded?

Hi @ez-collectibles - there are no plans to discontinue the 'Additional Fixed Price Free Insertions in Select Categories', but there are no additional categories planned to be added at this time.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 210 of 222
latest reply